“Best Dive Center in the Florida Keys” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Our uncrowded boats carry a maximum of 12 scuba divers, giving you a more relaxed and personal experience. Professional Guides and Instructors can provide a full range of recreational and technical services.
Miami
“Best Dive Center in the Florida Keys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

I am a very experienced and active diver in and around the South Florida area and I have to say without hestitation that Silent World Key Largo Dive Center is no doubt the BEST dive center in the entire florida keys chain.
I have dove with every dive center from Key Largo all the way to the Florida keys and I can very happily say that Silent World's staff, professionalism, experience and customer care is second to no one!!!
I have recommended friends and family from all over the world to dive with Chris and his crew at Silent World and they in turn have experienced a great dive vacation.
The crew are extremely friendly, knowledgable, and best of all, will work with you and all the other divers on the trip to make sure you have the BEST DIVE EXPERIENCE ever!!
No other dive shop in the Florida keys compares!!
Giving a 20 out of 10 ( if I could) for this SUPER DIVE CENTER !!!
Thanks Silent World !!!

Richmond, VA
“So good, we are going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

We spent a week in Key Largo diving with Silent World. It was a great experience. I have been diving around the world and up and down the East coast of the US for several years. I found the whole staff and crew very friendly and easy to deal with. The dive experience was great and I was please with their concern for safety.

We are heading back in December because we had such a good time.

Miami, Florida
“very professional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I was very happy with the professionalism and courtesy shown to me and my dive buddies on our recent trip to the Duane and Bibb. Crew was helpful and made a specialeffort to get out to the wrecks even when many boats didn't want to go out because of choppy seas. I'll use them again

Mike R.

NYC
“Greed over commitment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

To be fair, I will say that as far as diver's safety is concerned they seem professional. HOWEVER, they have been extremely unprofessional regarding administration, and pretty much ruined my vacation (I know dive shops are usually not the tidiest, most efficient businesses, but this one is exceptionally bad). I've scheduled 3 dive trips with them a few weeks in advance. For one of these trips they had trouble filling the boat, which made them reschedule it 3 times, running everyone all over key largo, coupling divers who paid for different dives with same guide, and most importantly, leaving the dock so late that their own boat didn't wait up for the afternoon dive trips. So the boat I was supposed to go on the afternoon left before the morning boat (by the same operator) returned, and all I got back was a sheepish apology. When I mentioned that had I known I'd only get to dive 2 dives and not 4 I wouldn't take nitrox, they said I did get to enjoy more bottom time...which is BS because I was confined to two other divers they coupled with my instructor. To top it all off they billed me more than originally agreed even for the parts that did actually happen, and fixing that wasted some more of my vacation time. They could have avoided most of these hard feelings by compensating me in some symbolic way, but it seems like having divers disappointed is a habit of this place.

In short, if your party can fill a boat they seem to know what they are doing under the water. But be sure you don't need anything above water.

silentdive, Owner Operator at Silent World Dive Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
I am shocked and saddened by this review as together with my wife and all the crew at Silent World we work extremely hard to ensure that we provide the best possible service to our customers. We were voted #1 dive shop in the whole of Florida for the last 2 years straight by the readers of Florida Monthly magazine and also have top Scuba Diving magazine ratings, so I would like to ensure potential customers that any dissatisfaction is taken extremely seriously. I also apologize to the reviewer if we failed to meet their expectations in any way.

What is strange however, is that Im not aware of the customer or any complaint. On the rare occasion that someone is not happy - I know about it immediately. I run the shop myself at least 5 days of the week and my crew are encouraged to give my cell number out to customers that may wish to speak to me about anything.

The reviewer claims that the boat was 'rescheduled 3 times' which has never happened and is logistically impossible. I have 2 scheduled boats that leave at 9.00AM and 1.00PM. I also have a 3rd boat that acts as a 'backup' boat in the event of mechanical failure that can leave at any time of the day. We simply dont need to reschedule any of the boats.

The reviewer states that we had trouble filling the boat, yet the review was posted in June - our second busiest month of the year, unless they posted the review several months late? We are usually turning people away due to full capacity in June & July, not having trouble 'filling' the boats!

Also - I run for a minimum of 2 passengers, so its highly unlikely that we cancelled this customers trip. The only possible scenario is that the customer was perhaps on their own and could only dive shallow. If we had 2 deep trips running, then the customer wouldnt have been able to join either of the groups. In this instance, I obviously wouldnt have run a trip for 1 person and would have arranged for the to dive with another operator. If this happened, then I apologize for any inconvenience and would like to reassure the customer that we feel this is a better scenario than a missed dive trip.

This would also explain any missed PM boat trip as its practically impossible in Key Largo to get off one operators boat from the morning trip and join another operators PM trip. There simply isnt enough time. My policy is to wait up to 20 minutes, but any more than that is being unfair to the majority of customers waiting in the summer heat at the dock. The other rare reason a PM trip may be missed is if we have customers that grossly overrun on their dives. We do not have a strict policy of 45 or 60 minute dives like some shops. This means the AM boat could be back after the PM boat has left on rare occasions. Usually, the AM boat is going out again anyway, so it simply means that late returning customers join the late departing boat.

Regarding the comment about billing and Nitrox, we have standard published pricing which is charged to the customer and signed for in advance. We only charge for what you use and any errors will be put right. This should only take a few minutes and I apologize if any refund was not dealt with in a timely fashion.

The reviewer also mentions 'my instructor' which suggests they were either under instruction or being guided. I dont think it is fair to complain about being 'coupled with 2 other divers' unless you have paid for a private guide. Also, an instructor / guide would have spotted dissatisfaction a mile off, its a matter of pride (and tips!) and would have surely dealt with it at the time.

In summary, I disagree with this review and feel that it is either motivated by other factors or that the reviewer has not understood the events that transpired during their stay. I would encourage the reviewer to contact me either on my cell (305) 395 1194 or my personal email address silentworldscuba@hotmail.com so that I can properly address and resolve their complaint.

I would also recommend that potential customers considering Silent World as their dive center also check out the many positive reviews and recommendations from seasoned divers and new divers on both this site and the other popular scuba diving forums

Regards

Chris Brown
President
Silent World Dive Center
Waitsfield VT
“Silent World Rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

As an experienced diver who's dived in many places, I have experienced the good, bad, and ugly of dive center operations. Silent World easily rates as one of the top three I've ever been with.
My experience at the shop began well. Chris the owner was helpful and accommodating. All my paperwork was in order, the dive schedules and Nitrox requests were correct, and when I wanted to add some additional dives, it was done immediately.
Though I only rented tanks and weights, I could see that the rental gear was available in great variety and in good shape. One day during my stay I expressed interest in a Halycon backplate and wing setup, and a shop employee spent a lot of time explaining pros and cons, but without high pressure.

The boats, mates, and captains were an even greater pleasure. First, the boats accommmodate a maximum of 12, and on no trip did we have more than 8. Anchored next to some boats with 20+ divers, I was thankful. I went out with 3 different captains, two men and one woman. They were helpful with gear, snacks, seasick divers (not me, but lots of others--unusually rough seas that week). Their site briefings were detailed, clear, and thorough. We were allowed to dive our own limits, as long as we came back with a recommended 500 psi. They were especially skilled and helpful at getting us from seats into the water, and back out again. In 5-7 foot seas it's impossible to overstate the importance of that.

We had one diver DCS situation, which was dealt with quickly and professionally.

All the captains and mates were friendly, communicative, articulate about dive sites and the region. On one dive I broke a fin strip giant-striding in, and Capt. Gary instantly handed over his own fins, which saved that dive for me.

The dive sites--Spiegel Grove, Benwood, and other wrecks, are fantastic.

In short, this is an excellent operation that I would recommend highly to any experienced diver.