“great dives......just the wrong ones” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 101 Activities in Key Largo
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Our uncrowded boats carry a maximum of 12 scuba divers, giving you a more relaxed and personal experience. Professional Guides and Instructors can provide a full range of recreational and technical services.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
baltimore
“great dives......just the wrong ones”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

this shop is my type of place.....it seems they specialize in the serious divers. a certain amount of respect was given to me as an advaced diver who just doesn't get to go that often. i was in the keys with family as a lone diver and had a 1 day window. when calling around prior i got everything from a blunt no to a 'well you will have to take a $180 refresher course' when i inquired about doing the spiegel grove. this is the only dive i wanted to do.
i will admit my expectations are large but when i called silent world they signed me up and boasted how they go to the grove often and do 'double dips'.....i was excited.
when i got to the shop on dive day i paid etc...then i was asked 'did you want to go shallow?'
i stated i should be signed up for the grove, the owner showed me the schedule and said 'see you are the only one'
then he proceeded to look the other schedule and went on about how people change their minds and things get screwed up etc. then he turned to the captain and was saying that they would have to go to the grove and then go shallow and how others may want to go deep.
so i went to the docks and got all my stuff ready etc when the captain came up and said...they change their minds, they want to go shallow and the owner would give me a voucher for another dive. what was i to do? it was 9 o clock. so i went. the owner did come to the dock to see us off but really didn't converse with the divers.
hey, the dives were nice, but i was truly disapointed. it seemed everyone on board was at beginner level and there really was no intention to go deep at all. i felt bamboozled
when i went back to the shop, the owner was not there and the guy working there had been the first mate on the boat. he had no knowledge of a voucher and really didn't seem concerned, but he did stamp my book so now i can say i have been diving recently if i get to go anytime soon.
i felt almost scammed. i don't think there was any intention to go to the grove that day, but why not just tell me that upfront?

Visited April 2012
silentdive, Owner at Silent World Dive Center, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Hi Steve, thanks for the review and sorry we couldn't get you out to the Spiegel. Yes, your free trip voucher is valid and can be used at any time, despite the situation being beyond our control.

We had a group on the boat who were diving over multiple days. They changed their schedule around as they wanted to get video of some shallow reefs. This is usually simply no problem at all as we would just put you on the other boat. However, you were the only other customer that wanted to deep and we can't take you on the wreck on your own. I tried to solve the problem by moving everyone to a deep trip just so that you could dive the Spiegel, but unfortunately the group refused. Usually, people are fairly flexible, but in this case, they had already done the spiegel several times due to the weather and they didn't want to go again!

Just a case of bad luck and a change of site made by the customers on the day. We usually do double dips on the Spiegel more than anything else, so it was an unusual situation.

Glad you enjoyed the reef in any case, and as I said, the free trip offer is valid and can be used at any time. I called the shop to advise them you would be stopping in to collect it, not sure why you were talking to the first mate, they don't work in the shop??? Perhaps the shop worker was on the phone or in the bathroom. Anyway, if you drop me an email to me at chris@silentworld.com I will send you confirmation of your trip.

Apologies once again, hope to see you again soon for your double dip.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Silent World Rocks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The day started off with A huge storm.We stayed at the dock under the grass hut until it cleared.When it was safe we loaded on the boat and the capt.took us where we wanted to dive.After two great dives we went back to the dock.This crew is very safe and friendly. Thank you to the capt. divemaster (ollie) ,and all store employees.........Rick V.

Visited March 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Great diving in Key Largo!!!The best around!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I spent two weeks in Key Largo to dive with Silent World in order to complete my training as a divemaster and do some technical diving on the side. The first thing I noticed when I arrived on my first Sunday was the quality of the gear and cleanliness of the dive shop itself. Chris, the owner, keeps the shop stocked well with both recreational and technical dive gear. The other nice aspect of the shop itself is that they have a new classroom with multimedia which made my classroom room much more tolerable. :) They teach all levels of diving from basic open water all the way through advanced trimix.

I have dove with many dive shops in the Keys from Key Largo to Key West since I started diving there in 2000, and one big difference that I noticed with Silent World is that if you go to dive the Speigal Grove, for example, they allow you to do both dives on her. Whereas, if you were to go with other shops, as I have in the past, they only allow one dive on the wreck, and then they move to a shallower reef dive. I enjoyed being to have both dives on the wreck whether it was the Spiegal Grove, Duane, or Bib to just name a few. Another exciting aspect of the diving is that because Silent World is also a technical dive shop, they allow for decompression and wreck penetration which I have also found unique to Silent World in Key Largo.

The neat thing about diving in the keys is that because of the relatively shallow water, and the proximity of numerous wrecks, the same boat can take out first time divers, and seasoned technical divers to the same site, on the same trip, and both have incredible experiences. Whenever I am back in Key Largo, whether technical diving, or enjoying a shallow reef with my wife, I will definitely use Silent World Dive Center.

-Michael

Visited January 2012
Detroit Michigan
20 attraction reviews
“Trustworthy and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I choose Silent World because, weather permitting, I wanted to go to the Spiegel Grove and I did not want to be on a large boat with many divers. Silent World promised and delivered. We had a short delay getting out of the marina. The captain's briefing was good, dive plans made sense, and the weather was perfect. We only had 5 divers on board, so I was happy.

The new store looks very nice. All in all I felt in good hands, and will consider Silent World again if my travels bring me to Key Largo.

Visited January 2012
Jupiter, Florida
“Excellent! Will definitely dive with Silent World again!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Travelled to Key Largo with friends and family in December & we were reccommended to Silent World by an acquaintence back home. I did some research on them and saw on their website that they have smaller boats, very reasonable prices, and they seemed like an all around good dive shop.

Myself and two others in our group are new to scuba diving, so we were very excited to dive the reefs off Key Largo!

When we arrived at Silent World we recieved excellent customer service from the moment we walked through the door. When we told the owner we were fairly new to diving, he offered us a guide to show us around the dive sites... This turned out to be a GREAT idea and was certainly worth an extra $50!

Our guide was very friendly and was a huge help. I have to say, without him, we probably wouldn't have seen half the things we did! Our first dive site was a shipwreck called "The City of Washington". We were thrilled with the abundance of sea life on this wreck! We saw everything from little tropical reef fish to a HUGE grouper! The second dive was great as well, can't recall the name of it now, but we did get to see a couple nurse sharks and some beautiful coral. Our guide was even kind enough to take a few pictures of us with our underwater camera.

I would reccommend Silent World to anyone! The whole staff... front desk, captain, crew and our guide, were all professional, friendly and helpful! The boat was very comfortable and un-crowded, and the dive shop itself is one of the nicest I've been in! Overall, the whole experience was one that we'll always remember and definitly has us hooked!

Visited December 2011
silentdive, Owner at Silent World Dive Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thanks for the review and it was great meeting you all. Hope you come back and see us again soon! Perhaps we can do your Advanced Open Water next time?