“Ritz Overflow Robbery $450, Beware, Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Amelia Island
Summer Beach Resort
Save Saved
You added Summer Beach Resort to your Saves list
5456 First Coast Parkway, Amelia Island, FL 32034   |
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in Amelia Island
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Ritz Overflow Robbery $450, Beware, Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I had planned to attend a plastic surgery meeting at the Ritz on Amelia Island and the room block was full. The Ritz referred me to Summer Beach Resort. I had to cancel 24 days ahead of the meeting. Ritz had no problem with a refund. When I called they politely emailed me that since I was within their 30 day restriction I would "only be charged the deposit" which was over $450. A $450 dollar penalty for a 2 day stay cancelled 24 days in advance.

Room Tip: Just say no. They are obviously scammers
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This review is on Summer Beach Resort in Amelia Island. My Fiancee and I won a stress free vacation to this resort from Central Florida Lifestyle Magazine. We were ecstatic, we have been to the area before and were looking forward to making time to visit again. We picked up our gift basket and looked at the stipulations that were stated with the gift certificate.
They had more than several black out dates, every holiday almost the whole summer and spring break, Christmas, you name it, it was blacked out. That was not a big deal we figured we would follow the stipulations and find a time that they stated on the certificate that would be available as long as they were not booked up, which is absolutely understandable. So we went ahead and called to see if they had anything available, in which they stated that they had several rooms available; we even chose a weekday. We then stated we had a gift certificate that we won from a magazine and the reservationist immediately stated that she was unsure she would be able to accept it. She then stated that we needed to speak to her manager that would not be in until Monday. After careful review we were 100% sure that the dates we were asking for were not black out dates and that they had more than enough available rooms for the time period we were trying to reserve. Monday comes and my Fiancee calls and asks directly for the manager who signed the gift certificate, to inquire about making reservations for the upcoming week. The manager comes on and is immediately short and rude with my Fiancee. She states that they are booked up, in which my Fiancee states the reservationist just stated they were not. The manager immediately states that they give out 20,000 thousand gift certificates out and cannot accommodate anymore gift certificate related rooms. She did not give anymore explanation and flatly stated we are not going to accommodate you. I don't know about anyone else, but we were truly looking forward to a stress free two night get away, we were not looking to be treated like a second class citizens. So with that said if you have any type of a gift certificate that you may have won or received as a gift from Summer Beach Resort, you may want to think twice about tying to redeem it....in fact you may just want to go ahead and give it away or throw it in the thrash.

Thank you for reading and I do hope you have a better experience than we have.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011 via mobile

Summer Beach Resort is a wonderful choice for location, luxury and value on Amelia Island. Views toward Summer Beach can be subjective however, due to the fact that units are individually owned. All of the units that my family have stayed in were beautifully decorated and had wonderful views of the ocean. Staying at Summer Beach allows you to feel that you are at your own private beach condo, instead of feeling as if you are in a hotel. All areas of the resort are lush and beautifully landscaped and maintained, and are all very private and gated. Our family's favorite unit has been Sea Watch, due to it's large size (three bedrooms, three and a half baths, and over 2000 square feet) and great oceanfront pools. The resort is located near the town of Fernandina, but is situated far enough to escape whatever crowd might be at the north end of the island. In my opinion, Summer Beach, due to it's accommodations and location, and th Ritz- Carlton, simply because it's the Ritz, are the two best choices for a great vacation on Amelia Island.

• Stayed July 2010
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We had both plumbing and AC problems. It took the owner 24 hrs to get someone out to fix the AC and the repair guy didn't bring what he needed. The resort office did move us to another unit, thankfully, but it was an ordeal moving. The repair people both told us the owner did not have a history of keeping us his properties. This is a shame because the resort office was very helpful and the area is beautiful. The condo association clearly has low standards.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Bowling Green KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

My daughter and I just returned from Amelia Island for a mother/daughter getaway. We chose Summer Beach Resort for our accomodations and were very pleased with it. I would recommend them if you're looking for affordable, available, and clean units.The ladies at the checkin center were friendly and helpful. The unit we stayed in (at Ocean Place) was clean, comfortable, large, and well-decorated right down to the seahorse handles on the bathroom cabinet! The price was much more affordable than the Ritz and Amelia Island Plantation. Although we used the spa services at both of these other resorts, everything we needed and wanted was right there- plenty of beach and shells, lounge chairs delivered to the beach, heated pools, bikes delivered to our unit, and close to grocery and restaurants!

• Liked — affordability yet nice
  • Disliked — didn't have a spa
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Summer Beach Resort? Share your experiences!