“Wonderful staff = Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kendall
San Diego, California
“Wonderful staff = Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

This hotel is not in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Miami, but it's not far from it. The rooms are clean and very spacious. They have a wonderful gym with state of the art equipment. With a nice pool side patio which is the perfect spot to start the day with breakfast. It's about a 30 minute drive to the Keys and 45 minutes to downtown Miami, 30 minutes to the airport, with very easy access to the turnpike.

The staff could not have been more helpful,it's no wonder that are an award winning hotel! Fernando is quick to recommend a place to eat, Jonathan was bright and cheery in the morning and gives the best directions. Liz was extra helpful in securing my room an extra night when I couldn't get out of town because of the weather. Both Fernando and Jonathan always seemed happy to see me and greeted me with a smile and a hello no matter what time of day it was or how long they had been on duty. Even at 5:30am or at the end of a10 hour shift. You would have thought I was a regular, the way I was treated they made me feel right at home, and if I needed anything I could ask and not feel like I was being a bother. Even the chief engineer was helpful and friendly.

Hats off to Ken Oliveria for hiring and staffing his hotel with exceptional people. I was here because of a family emergency and needed a place close by, my family lived in the Redlands Agricultural Area and there are not many hotels in that area. I was so glad I found this one, they made an unpleasant trip pleasurable. Given the opportunity I will be definitely return and will recommend the hotel to everyone

There are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby, gas station is right next door. The worst thing about the location is getting across the street in the morning. Take my advice and turn right at the stop sign and pass through the gas station to get to the light.
There is a small restaurant called The Keg South right behind the gas station, stop in and enjoy the Grouper sandwich!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Lucienneh,

Thank you so very much for your high praise and recommendation. I am extremely pleased that my staff made you feel special and that you received a consist experience throughout your stay.

Fernando has been recently promoted to Guest Experience Champion, as you have seen, it is well deserved. Jonathan just recently started with us a little over a month ago and he is well on his way to becoming one of our best agents. I am extremely pleased with him. As for Liz, she has been mentioned more than most on reviews and for good reason. She has been a wonderful addition to our family.

We take great pride in making all of our guests feel welcomed and special. I sincerely hope you return to us and allow the rest of my team to wow you...

Kenny Oliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

If you have a reason to be in this area, this hotel is a reasonable choice. It's clean and convenient to the highways. Shopping and restaurants are just a short hop away. We stay here whenever we're in the area - about once a year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
jrzee,

Thank you for choosing my property for your travel needs yet again. I realize you have many options to choose from when traveling and I am pleased to know that you prefer to stay with us.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is my second time staying at this hotel in the past year. I thought it was excellent the first time and my second visit only cements by opinion.

Pros: Service is top notch. All the front desk staff are friendly and extremely helpfull. This particular stay the hotel was very busy but despite the rush of people, they always seemed poised and offered a smile. Liz really stood out, i think she is new or at least i didnt see her my last visit.

Housekeeping was great, anything i needed was addressed within a reasonable period given how busy things were.

Cons: Jacuzzi was cold 2 out of the 3 days i was there. The laundry facilities were always busy (not the hotels fault) but it did become a bit of an issue for me

One last note, i noticed one night the general manager came in after midnight to personaly try to repair a door lock for a guest. He must of been there for a few hours until he got it working again. Who does that? Really shows how much he cares, and it rubs off on the rest of the staff as they are all always smiling and friendly. A+ in my book.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Fish_n_ChipsNewYork,

Thank you for visiting my hotel again and for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay.

You are correct in that Liz is new. She started with us in July and has been a very welcomed and valued member of our family. We are lucky to have her.

I would like to apologize for the Jacuzzi temperature. We experienced a minor issue with the heater but it has since been resolved. Please make sure to take a dip during your next visit.

Lastly, I thank you for your patience during our busiest time of year and I truly value your continued patronage.

I look forward to your return. Hopefully we are given the opportunity to meet in person.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We have stayed here severable times before when visiting family in the area, but this last visit was by far the worst. We were greeted with our welcome kit of granola bars and bottled water as priority club members; unfortunately, the rest of our stay was all downhill from there. We were surprisingly given a room next to the elevator, which frequently dinged late at night and early in the morning. This is an example of how repeat customers are treated--given the worst room in the hotel. Do not be fooled by the manager's responses to negative comments here...in person he could not be less helpful or caring when we approached him with a serious concern. Here are some issues we encountered:

1) At midnight, we received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the front desk who asked for our credit card number due to a computer glitch that affected 30 guests, threatening to kick us out of the room if we did not comply. Yes, we realized this was a scam, but our sleep was disturbed, and we were awake the whole night anticipating more phone calls. When we told the manager the next morning to report this to the police, he claimed that his regular business clients have never reported anything like this before and clearly refused to take this breach of their phone system seriously. He implied that this was our problem and not related to the hotel at all.

2) The front desk's ineptitude to process a different credit card for payment when repeatedly requested. After our 3rd request they finally got it right.

3)The lack of the correct number of towels per room occupants. It took 30 minutes for someone to bring up a towel.

We are happy to see another hotel nearing completion nearby because we WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN.

Room Tip: Avoid a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Laurasiouxie,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences during your recent stay at my property.

I wish to extend my sincerest apologies for any and all inconveniences you and your family have encountered, as well as apologizing if you felt those issues were not dealt with in a suitable manner.

With regards to some of the issues you detailed on your review, the phone call you received in the middle of the night is unfortunately a scam that is nationwide and affecting all hotel chains big and small. NBCnews has run several reports and columns outlining the various ways these scammers circumvent hotel security in an attempt to acquire guests credit card information. Regretfully, this is not something local authorities are capable of responding to as it is falls on federal jurisdiction.

At this hotel we take guest’s security very seriously, we do not have an automated answering system for the sole reason of being able to screen callers to ensure we prevent situations like yours from happening. Unfortunately, as detailed by NBC, it is impossible to prevent all breaches 100% of the time. Rest assured, our staff would never conduct business of that nature over the phone. We would always have you come to the front desk during business hours.

As for some of the other issues, I welcome the opportunity for you to contact me directly so that we can discuss it in greater detail. As you can see from the many reviews we receive, customer service is something we take great pride in and many of our guests feel the same way. I would be saddened to know we have lost you and your family to another hotel due to the events of one stay out of the many you have had with us.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kenny Oliver,
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Room very clean, staff very helpful and friendly! Laundry facilities on the second floor. Great vending machines. Breakfast buffet was really very nice. We don't usually eat at the hotel breakfast buffet but this was really great. Items were fresh and really great.
Convenient to Mall just a few blocks up the street with great shops, Ross, Costco, Payless Anna's etc. Don't forget to check out the food trucks on 137th Avenue near to Hotel. Great choices of really well priced food!

Room Tip: Ground floor really more convenient if you are shopping! Pool area very nice as well.
carolcooper54,

Thank you so very much for you positive endorsement of my hotel. The detailed review you provided regarding the many hotel features and local shops will be of tremendous benefit to future guests looking to stay in this area.

Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We were in Miami for a weekend sports seminar and this was the closest hotel we could find. And our airline gives points for Holiday Inn Express nights so the choice was obvious for the 5 days we wanted to stay in Miami.

We were happy with our stay. I guess it's part of the Express hotel franchise that you use disposable plates and cups for the (average) breakfast - that's pretty much the only bad thing I'd say about the place. No hotel restaurant but there's several good restaurants nearby - Sea Siam Connection with their sushi/thai menu was our favorite. There's also a bicycle rental just few minute walk away if you're traveling without a car like we were. The surrounding area was okay to explore on bikes - no bike lanes, though. From MIA airport you can get to the hotel using public transport quite easily. It was handy to have microwave and fridge in the room.

It's not near Miami Beach but visiting the Beach by public transport took maybe 1,5h and it was good enough for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
liljis,

Thank you for choosing my hotel for your travel needs and for taking the time to share your experience.

The details you have provided will be of great help to future guests. As for the breakfast, you are correct in that it is a brand standard for all Holiday Inn Express hotels. The more upscale plates and breakfast options are reserved for the Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Resort properties.

I hope that you return to us the next time you are in the area.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a relatively new Holiday Inn Express location. It is about 30 min drive from Miami beach, so you need to have a car.
Rooms are great and clean, beds are very comfortable, staff is very helpful, breakfast is very good and free every morning and restaurant staff was also very professional and very helpful.
Depending on the day, they either had oranges or free cookies in the lobby, which is nice.
The hotel also has a very nice pool. The staff and hotel were very welcoming and attended all our needed. I would definitely recommend and go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Redouane A,

Thank you for your positive review of my property. The hotel opened in November of 2007 so for you to mention that it looks like new is a huge testament to the dedication the entire team has to making this property special for our guests.

I hope that you return to us soon, the cookies will be here waiting.

Kenny Oliver

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall? Share your experiences!