“Musty smell and heavily perfumed smell on second floor hallway and room.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kendall
Clovis, CA
“Musty smell and heavily perfumed smell on second floor hallway and room.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

On arrival, the facilities are typical for a holiday inn express. Restaurants are not within walking distance, most are approximately one mile away. The hotel does have a van and offers hourly rides.
When I went up the elevator I was hit with a very strong odor when the elevator door opened. When I entered my room the smell was worse. By the fourth night of my stay the smell was nearly unbearable. I pulled the air filter open on my A/C unit and found and removed a very unusual air freshener. After removing the air "freshener" the room was tolerable; however, the hallway continued to be way over "freshened."

Breakfast is typical for a holiday inn express. Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Stay away from the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
imbatmn,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at my hotel. As you can see from our many reviews, not just on TripAdvisor but on other travel sites and our IHG corporate site, we get very high marks from our guests regarding cleanliness and service. I can assure you, your experience is not indicative of the service and quality this hotel is know for and I take your dissatisfaction very seriously.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss your stay in further detail.

Kenny Oliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I would stay here again. It is quite a distance from downtown though. But enjoyed everything else. Pool hrs are a bit strict. 9 pm is much too early to close when you are on vacation. Breakfast was good, the workout facility really nice, didn't get a chance to use the pool. The room was great.

• Stayed July 2013
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
roche2765,

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay at my hotel. I am pleased to know that your first visit to us was pleasant and enjoyable.

I hope that your travels bring you back to us soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Well Maintained
Friendly Staff
Great location

I stayed at this hotel every week for 2 years while on a consulting assignment. The staff is continously cleaning and touching up the facility. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wayneww1000,

Thank you, yet again, for taking the time to write about your experience while staying at my hotel.
I am thrilled to know that you have received a consistent experience throughout your numerous stays with us.

I hope that we continue to live up to your expectations each time you visit.

Clermont, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great location for us. We enjoyed being out of the heavy congestion of the city and it was very close to our business meeting the next day. it is very close to good shopping and lots of restaurants. The hotel is set back off the road and may be difficult to find at night. Room was large, clean and nicely decorated. Assume this is one of the chains new facilities as carpet and furnishings all looked new. Breakfast area large, bright, attractive and very well stocked. The automatic pancake maker was new to us- very cool. There was a large tile entry, large bathroom and generous room even with double beds. The biggest surprise came when we went to bed. The top sheet and comforter only came half way up the bed! This was done to fold back for an attractive top of bed look, but uncomfortable for actual sleeping. When we first entered the room we notice a strong smell - either musty carpet or air conditioning filter. I thought there might had been a pet in the room and it wet on the carpet. We called the front desk to get something like Febreeze , who offered to give us mother room, but we had already unpacked and were tired, so accepted someone to come and spray with odor eliminator. It made it a little better or maybe we just adjusted.

• Stayed June 2013
HIexpress-kendall, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
malm,

I thank you for your flattering review of my hotel. We have been open since November of 2007 and I am happy to see that our guest still perceive the property to be brand new. The staff here take great care of the hotel.

Regarding the musty odor, we recently had all of the rooms and hallway carpets steam cleaned. There is a possibility that you checked into a room that hadn't fully dried.

As for the sheets, you are correct that they are done so to be decorative. Our brand mandates that the beds be prepared in this manner but I can see where it can be a little cumbersome to pull back when you are preparing for bed. I will advise the Housekeeping Manager to perhaps leave a little more slack on the sheet so as to make it a little easier to pull back.

Thank you for your feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok, right off the bat, I was handed a "goody bag" with snacks and 2 bottles of water. Now I'm not saying this would make my decision on a hotel, but it certainly says something about how much this hotel cares about their guests. Breakfast included multiple hot options, in addition to the usual continental affair. AND there was a free happy hour at the pool with beer, hot dogs, and burgers.

Every member of staff I spoke to was friendly, professional, and helpful. The ones I didn't speak to smiled and said hello. I had an in depth conversation with the handy-man (there was something wrong with my door, it is an older hotel, and only a small inconvenience) who gave me great advice on local places to try. He suggested Monty's (among other places that unfortunately time would not permit) which I can recommend for that perfect cheesy touristy beach themed bar by the harbor feel which I admit I am quite fond of. I would definitely go again!

Anyway, apart from being a bit old, this hotel was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SallyCarol,

I appreciate you taking the time to write such an in depth review of my hotel. We make great efforts so that our guests feel welcomed and special during their stay. The "goody bags" and guest appreciation BBQ are just some of the small ways we say thank you for choosing us.

We look forward to your return, hopefully next time you get a chance to experience Monty's as well.

High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very clean hotel, staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Located 5 minutes from Zoo; adjacent to good restaurants and shops- Sergio's Cuban Cafe is less than 5 minutes and the food is very good. Breakfast @ hotel is what you would expect from HIE.

Room Tip: Overlooking pool
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
angelogonz101,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience while staying at my hotel. I em especially pleased that you found the staff to be extremely friendly. We really try to go out of our way to make all of our guests feel special.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Good location, with plenty of places to eat close by and lots of parking. Close to the zoo and The Falls, which was the reason for our stay. Rooms are basic and clean. Breakfast was good and included! Family enjoyed the pool. Front desk was very friendly.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
mo2flk,

Thank you for your positive review of my property. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will use us again the next time your travels bring you to this area.

Kenny Oliver

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Miami-Kendall? Share your experiences!