“Not all TOMATOES are SWEET....” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 26 Restaurants in Kendall
Cuisines: American
“Not all TOMATOES are SWEET....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I fell in love with this restaurant chains style & food while visiting 2 of their restaurants in Sarasota, Florida. I've never eaten in the same place 3 days in a row, but the Sarasota Sweet Tomatos were that good. I went online to learn more about them and to see if they had a franchise program available, because I noticed they were always packed with folks while their surrounding restaurants were empty. Well, they don't offer franchises yet, so I'll have to settle for being a patron for now.
When I returned to my homebase, Miami, I looked them up locally and found 1 of their restaurants in Kendall, in the Town & Country Mall. It is located in a very populated area and is somewhat close to the student-based population of Miami-Dade Community College South Campus where there should be lots of healthy eaters. The T&C Mall is not the closest to the college, nor the most convenient with it's heavy traffic. The Mall, since it's creation, has seen a lot of businesses come and go. It has only recently pulled in national hotel chains and restaurants on its property to stay afloat. The location is a badly researched decision and such a good restaurant deserves a better site.
After dining, we decided to walk around and found ourselves alone in this open air mall with the exception of a security guard. Pretty depressing local.
Now, about the restaurant... unlike their Sarasota counterparts, they informed me that they serve the Clam Chowder soup on Fridays only. In Sarasota, the most popular soup of the 6 or 8 that they served, the Clam Chowder soup, was available all week.
The Kendall/Miami Tomato instead serves 2 varieties of Chili based soups.
The Cream Of Broccoli and a Potatoe-based soups were not impressive either.
Now, inorder for me to savor my favorite soup at this restaurant, the Clam Chowder, I'd have to ask for a Friday off at work. Does that sound right?
The rest of our experience with the friendly staff, cleanliness and food was GREAT.
The only problem that I saw was the SOUP selections that did not attract many "takers" and in that respect, the management failed to enrich our dining experience.
In my Sarasota Tomato reviews, I could not find a single thing wrong with their restaurants. Those should be used as a measuring stick to judge your "Sweet Tomatoes".

Florida
“Sweet Tomatoes is "just sweet"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Sweet Tomatoes in Kendall is one of my favorite places to meet friends and enjoy good healthy eating. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly and the food is excellent. The price is reasonable for "eat all you want' place, My friends and I meet here for fun and food at least once a month.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“extremely helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It is always a pleasant experience to visit our local sweet tomatoes. The staff is great, very clean dining area. Can't say enough about the attention we are given each time we visit.

Visited December 2013
Miami, Florida
“Amazing Salads!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This establishment opened recently in Kendall at Kendall Town and Country. It is extraordinary for salads, home-made soups (as many as 6 varieties daily), blueberry muffins and all kinds of home baked breads and pastas. Eat all you want for a very reasonable price ( seniors pay $6.99 Monday-Thrusday 2pm to 5pm). I am a regular. I go every time I can and I recommend it heartily!

Visited October 2013
FLORIDA
“It was just OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This location is SUPER small. When we went they were fully packed. Food kept running out and the employees were standing talking versus cleaning tables and getting food out for people who were waiting.
So i will continue to drive up to Oakwood Plaza in Hollywood Florida.....that location even when fully booked....the place always has food and sitting is quick and easy.
Sorry Kendall Location.