“It was okay” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Key West, Florida
“It was okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We just arrived in Jacksonville and wanted something other than fast food. This was close to our condo so thought we'd give it a try. The beer was cold (it was buy one get one and they brought both at the same time. Luckily it wasn't hot out or we'd have been drinking a warm beer... yuck!) The food was okay. The meat was all the same just a different container such as taco, enchilada, tostada. We were not given the option of chicken or cheese instead of the meat. About half way through the meal, I was over it. Our food came quickly but our waiter disappeared for a while. He came and took our plates and we waited 5 to 10 minutes for him to return and ask if we wanted our check! I'd only go here if you have no other options.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, TX
“This is one great surprise...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

This place really does a great job with tacos and most of the meals. They have great margaritas top shelf for a reasonable price in FL. Chips and salsa is great as well. Cons are guacamole that tastes like it is from the grocery store and missing chicken/spinach enchiladas.

Visited August 2013
Elk Grove, California
“Decent but Modest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After a lot of Florida dishes, it was time for my wife and I to return to Mexican food for a break. El Potro looked to be a large family operation with dense Mexican decoration of all varieties. We ate inside and were served by Musio when he came by, although at times he was elsewhere. The Nachos were liked but not loved by my wife. I had the Bistec Tampiquena, more traditional Mexican rather than copied for Americans from US styles. The side-addition of Chile Relleno, a favorite of mine, was of modest skill. The Margaritas were good and quite reasonable at $5 each. We were surprised that we saw no other Hispanic diners at El Potro, which we usually judged as a way of estimating that Mexican restaurants were of high quality. We had a decent lunch but would probably look into others in Jacksonville Beach before returning.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Good Mexican Restaurant Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This restaurant is one block off the beach front area. I was in the area prior to catching a flight and I wanted Mexican food. The center hwere it is located is doing some renovations and I was not sure it was an open restaurant since so many were out of business in the area. I saw people go inside so I went in also.

The ambiance was good and they had a few daily specials listed. The extensive menu was priced very fair and offered everything I liked. The thin chips and salsa were delicious and my lunch was good also. I ordered a guacamole to take with me for later at the airport. It was fresh and very inexpensive compared to most Mexican restaurants. The service was very fast and friendly!

I didn't know that this is a chain restaurant since I'm not from the Florida area, but I'm glad I stopped to eat here as I was very satisfied and hopefully you will be also!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A Solid Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Been there a couple of times. Pretty kitschy decor and music, but always warm service, and has the feel of a family operation. Last night, the spicy chicken and soft carnitas tacos were really good. Prices very fair. Easy walking distance from the Marriott Fairfield and Courtyard. Enjoyed the prior review entitled "This ain't Mexico" who did not like the burger, a real connoisseur de la comida Mexicana!

• Visited March 2013