“Very nice, great views, great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Path Bed and Breakfast by the Sea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacksonville Beach
Pelican Path Bed and Breakfast by the Sea
You added Pelican Path Bed and Breakfast by the Sea to your Saves list
11 N. 19th Ave., Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250   |
PTC
“Very nice, great views, great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

We stayed at PP in June. The weather didn't cooperate but the inn was wonderful. We had a second floor room with a great view of the ocean. The room was spacious clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was outstanding. We were there 2 days and there was a different breakfast each day. The view of the ocean from the dining room is terrific.

The owners were friendly and most accomodating.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2005

Pelican path b&b is situated in a terrific Jax beach location. We stayed 4 nights in the most expensive ocean front room. The rooms are furnished in "early Walmart." Inexpensive furnishings, poorly decorated and rediculously inadequate TV. Access to the beach is terrific.The breakfast is served on the first floor overlooking the ocean. Joan does a wonderful job and is a very good cook. The first floor also has a sitting area althought you never felt comfortable using it.In fact you never felt comforable a all at the Pelican B&B. When ever you ask for anything you get the impression you are intruding as the owners are not at all accomodating. We asked to use the bicycles and were told we had to give adequate notice as they were locked in the garage. Also we would have to leave a 10 dollar deposit for each bike.We returnd with the bikes to find a nasty note on the door suggesting that we would forfeit our deposit if the bikes were not returned by 6pm. Then we asked for a later check out and were informed of their progressive late check out fee's. We asked to use the internet for printing our boarding passes. No help at all with that.The biggest problem with this place is the owner, Tom. He has a very dark sense of humor which is quite vexing. He makes you feel unwelcome and any request is an intrusion.

• Stayed November 2005
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2005

I found this lovely Bed and Breakfast in September 2004 while visiting relatives in JAX. I needed a place of rest to recuperate after the death of my mother from an 18 month battle with cancer. Pelican Path is everything and more that you will find on their website. I had a king room with jaccuzi tub that was wonderful. It was cleaner than any hotel I had ever stayed in. I was always kept supplied with wonderful toiletries daily. The refridgerator was kept stocked with sodas and water. The room was bright, cheery and very large. The inn is located on a quiet part of the beach which is what I needed. The area is more a residential than commercial hotel type area. Towel, lounge chair and bikes are provided daily. There is a shower and public restroom on the walkway across to the beach which I found very convenient. The breakfasts were out of this world. I even got one of the recipes from Joan so I could serve it to my family. Joan and her busband Tom, were a delight, never intrusive always ready to please. My husband and I plan to stay here the next time we are both in JAX. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone visiting JAX!

• Stayed September 2004
Alpine, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My wife and I stayed there for two nights in July. I would not recommend it. I expected much more from a B&B on the beach. I also expected it to be more private. It is next door to a highrise condo. It is also adjacent to a public beach access parking lot. The B&B does not have its own walkway to the beach, you have to walk around and use the public boardwalk.

Since we usually stay at B&B's when we travel this one did not meet my expectations. I would consider it on the low end of sytle, comfort and service compared to other B&Bs that I have stayed in. Overall its a nice looking beach house but on the small side. The rooms were like typical average hotel rooms. Nothing special. The "King" bed was actually two twins pushed together. I assumed that when they built the place they made the hall and stairs so narrow and steep that they could not get larger beds upstairs. The bathrooms were tiny as well. It did not meet my cleanliness expectations either. There were hairs on the bathroon floor and in the corners. Ive had larger and cleaner bathrooms in a Motel 6. I expect a large and clean bath in a B&B and for the price.

The furnishings were below average. Many appeared to be from a thrift store. Though the rooms are "named" for birds there is no theme to the rooms. I guessed they spent all there money building the place and then could not furnish it well.

They did have bikes to loan but only two bikes for the 8 guests and bikes are the best way to venture out around Jacksonville beach. They were not always available. Beach towels were also provided which was nice.

The food was good and the dining area provides a good view of the ocean. Breakfast is served at 8:30 am only - no flexible times. The food, while tasty, was always casserole style. I assume to make it easy on the cook. There were no afternoon refreshments.

The hostess was kind and pleasant and appeared to be genuinely concerned with good customer service. The host (her husband ?) was not. It also appeared she did all the work.

If you chose to stay here think of it as a room at a typical beach hotel and you may not be disappointed. If you are looking for a quaint B&B getaway, take my advice and look somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2005
, co-owner and co-manager at Pelican Path Bed and Breakfast by the Sea, responded to this review, September 19, 2005
I have just discovered this rather scathing review of our bed and breakfast and would like the opportunity to correct some inaccuracies.

The reviewer who stayed in July actually stayed over the 4th of July weekend - probably the busiest weekend of the summer months for the beaches area. The viewer complains of the lack of "privacy" of this location. For the 4th of July weekend our beaches and, I expect, most beaches have celebrations, fireworks, etc. taking place, as did we.

I invite you to see our website, (commercial URL). You will find photos with both interior and exterior shots so you can judge for yourself the location and the type of furnishings provided. There is also an aerial view of north Jacksonville Beach showing our location on the beach. There is no intent to mislead anyone - we are on a public beach (all beaches in this area are public), and have a well-built, well-maintained, city dune walk in the little park on the right of our inn. The locals call this the "Mommy beach" because it is a nice spot for parents to bring their children, and it features showers and public restrooms for their use. It is a pleasure to watch the young children enthusiastically run for the beach. The public dune walk has also been used as the walkway to a beach wedding or two...the wedding party all dressed up, and barefooted!!

The reviewer who chose our least expensive room for his stay suggested that all of our king beds were twin beds put together. Not the case...the room he chose originally featured twin beds to provide an option which we thought travelers would like. Actually, very few wanted twin beds so we made them into a king and still maintain the option of separating them if travelers of several days are requesting individual beds. The other three rooms feature regular king beds.

We have five (not two) bicycles available for guest use. Two of the bikes are newer and, therefore, more desirable. Salt air is hard on bicycles. We rarely have more than one couple per day requesting to use the bicycles. When we do, we pull out extra bikes. The bikes are available from 9:00Am till dark.

The comment on the breakfast fare ("always a casserole") is not accurate, nor is it to make preparation "easy on the cook." We were not allowed to have a range-top (stove) unless we purchased a commercial hood (like a restaurant). Since we did not wish to commercialize our home, we do most of our cooking in our double ovens and microwave. We do manage pancakes, french toast, waffles, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, omelettes depending on the number of guests to be served and the breakfasts already served to those staying over a period of days. We also serve fresh fruit, juice, some type of meat (sausage, bacon, ham), some type of baked goods such as coffee cake, muffins, etc. and coffee and tea along with the egg dish.

After our first year in business we stopped trying to serve afternoon refreshments as our guests were out enjoying the beach and the surrounding areas. Instead we place complimentary beverages (2 cokes, 2 diet cokes, 2 bottles of orange juice, and 2 bottles of water) in each room's small refrigerator on a daily basis.

I was truly distressed to read the reviewer's comments about the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom. I am surprised because we make a consistent effort to keep the whole inn spotless. I was never approached about this problem which I would have immediately corrected for our guests.

I do believe the reviewer is accurate when he cautions that this is not a "quaint B&B getaway." We built Pelican Path B & B and opened it as a new beachfront bed and breakfast in November, 1998. What we offer is a modern facility with beautiful ocean views and easy, immediate access to the beach.

Been to Pelican Path Bed and Breakfast by the Sea? Share your experiences!