“I Really Want to Like This Resturant, But...” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Salt Life Food Shack was developed with the commitment to provide a community driven restaurant that compliments the brand where “living the Salt Life” is a part of everyday life. We offer a carefully crafted eclectic menu to cater to all tastes and personalities. Salt Life Food Shack of Jacksonville Beach is the perfect locale for beach goers to enjoy great dishes, cool drinks and the opportunity to catch up with family and friends. We are located just three blocks off the beach and our casual yet trendy open-air space will accommodate all types – from the avid seaman to land lovers looking for a taste of the Salt Life... Eat, Drink. And be Salty.
Atlantic Beach, FL
“I Really Want to Like This Resturant, But...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We have gone to Salt Life several times and have taken out of town guests there for fresh seafood, but I think we're finished trying to like it.
We went last evening after holding on to a gift certificate for a year (that let's you know the level of excitement about a return visit). As was always the case in the past, the entire experience can NEVER come off without a hiccup!
Salt Life Sea Food Shack is an attractive restaurant, but it is acoustically annoying. The bar area and the dining area are separated by a fish tank that does nothing to soften the loud bar music for the diners who might want to hear their conversations. There are about ten televisions mounted in every corner space, which is fine because the sound is not on and there is a variety of viewing options. Why not just have all that in the bar area?
The menu is somewhat limited, but that's actually better than trying to do too much. The fish is fresh and prepared well, so I have nothing negative to type about the food. I have nothing exciting to type about it, either.
The servers! Sadly, and sexistly ( is that a word) the girls are far too concerned about going in and out of the restroom (no, not the kitchen) and running their hands through their hair before they serve my food to make the service any more than mediocre at best. While our server was NEVER asking us if we'd like another drink and totally forgetting about our check, she was either hovering over a table of men or having some issue with another customer. Other female servers stand along a wall like a murder of crows chatting, which screams, "We have nothing to do and we don't want anything to do." Not good! One of them could have brought me a drink and a check. They obviously need a lot of direction!!
Salt Life Sea Food Shack wants to be great, but until they get a wait staff with more focus on "mental skills" & motivation they will be one of places that I will say, "Nah, there are too many other places that are much better for my money."

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saint Louis, Missouri
“One timer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I guess I had different expectations, as this place was recommended. I am from out of town, and decided to try Salt Life Food Shack while my wife and daughter were out on a shopping excursion. I ordered a Mahi dish that looked pretty interesting on the menu, but all in all it was a flavorful as the spice suggested. I would describe this place as a beach restaurant with a somewhat upscale motif. While it wasn't bad, there are too many other nicer restaurants in the Jacksonville beaches area for me to return my next time to Florida's First Coast.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jacksonville, Florida
“Ahi Tuna Salad is SOO GOOD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We go to Salt Life as often as we can (okay, at least twice a month for lunch). I have ordered the Ahi Tuna salad and the shrimp salad and now, the only thing I will order is the Ahi Tuna salad. It's big, it's filling and it's so good. The service is okay. It's a beach place with a laid back atmosphere and that's what you get. We always sit outside and always get good, professional wait staff. The last time we ate there, we ordered raw oysters and they had too many shell pieces in them. A simple rinse before they're served would be nice. Otherwise, yummy food and good service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kingston, Massachusetts
“Cool Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I had the shrimp salad sandwich,,it was very good and great portion size. Always have a good meal when I go.... :)

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“.....Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was in town for work.... didn't know where to eat. So we drove around looking, went on google maps - found Salt Life. Read some of the reviews and decided " what the heck lets try it". Nice place, nice atmosphere. Everyone was nice as well. Food was okay. If I'm in town again, I would revisit this place :)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere