“I wanted it to be good” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“I wanted it to be good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I wanted this place to be great like most of the reviews say it is. The place has a nice hole-in-the-wall feel, like they HAVE to put out great food in order to stay in business. They don't. I ordered the jambalaya and fried mushrooms and sat at the counter, I watch the man behind the counter pull a big tub out of the refrigerator scoop out jambalaya, spritz it with hot water from the tap on the coffee maker and put it in the microwave. He then plated it in a basket and had the server walk around the counter to give it to me. Even after seeing this I still tried it. It was bland... Surprising enough I couldn't tell it was nuked, but you can buy a mix at the store that blows this out of the water. Mushrooms were O.K. Their saving grace was some seasoning they put on after frying, if your shroom was missed by the shaker, it was very bland breading. Plus side I could tell they were fresh mushrooms. Gumbo yaya's, you get one star because it's mandatory and one more because the staff is nice. I would not recommend this place, and won't be going back.

Visited February 2014

Jacksonville, Florida
“The Best Cajun seafood in Jacksonville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I am originally from Southwest Louisiana, thus I have partaken of Cajun food my entire life. Gumbo Ya Ya met or exceeded all of my expectations again and again and again. i had lunch with 4 other ladies and we had the time of our life. The the tastiness of food was enhanced by the attentiveness and charm of the staff.

They made us feel so welcome and indeed part of a community. Thank you Gumbo Ya Ya

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville
“Best Cajun Restaurant in Jacksonville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

What can I say? It has all the great food straight from Louisiana. Big hang out spot for LSU and Saints fans. They have great Gumbo, Jambalaya, etouffee, etc. Small Casual Restaurant with great food and service. I highly recommend almost everything they have on the menu. I personally like the Jack Daniels Bread Pudding as a favorite!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ravenswood, West Virginia
“Nice New Orleans touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Boiled shrimp, crawfish pie, and green bean, artichoke casserole were nicely prepared and the service is good!

Visited January 2014
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Oyster poboy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Outstanding food new orleans style, oyster po- boy is delicious, cold draft beer, gumbo is really good, great spot for lunch or dinner.