“Everything was great...except for the SERVICE” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lady Hawk Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Lady Hawk Farm
You added Lady Hawk Farm to your Saves list
10542 South Forestline Avenue, Inverness, FL 34452   |
Tampa, Florida
“Everything was great...except for the SERVICE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've been putting off writing this review because I don't like to speak negatively of anyone and I'm a very forgiving person, but after reading all of the positive reviews I decided to put in my own experience to keep things in perspective...

My girlfriend and I visited for my birthday almost a year ago and I was very excited because I'm a big horse fan and love to ride whenever I get a chance. I'm a horse guy and will own my own one day. I had called the day before and everything seemed good...she was very helpful over the phone, answered all my questions, and assured me her horses were well behaved. I asked if she had an arabian because I wanted to try one and she was happy to talk about it.

Everything seemed good and we were both very excited....then we showed up and everything went down hill, very down hill. We showed up about 25 minutes early and that seemed to make Suzanne very upset. This was my first time driving here and it was a weekday morning so I planned to leave a little early in case there was any traffic coming from Tampa. Most places would complain about being late, but she was very rude because we were early, even after I explained the situation and told her we were happy just staying next to our car and enjoying the atmosphere until everything was ready. My gf and I both tried to keep a positive attitude despite the overwhelming negativity coming from Suzanne.

Next we asked to use the bathroom and when we came back Suzanne accused us of going into the rest of the rental house to check it out because we took longer than usual. We didn't. I assured her we didn't. I'm sorry that nature called, but I would have rather have gone to the restroom before the ride then during. She accused US of being nosy and rude even after I CALMLY explained that I needed to use the restroom and that I was "sorry" if I had done anything wrong. She also accused us of being rude because, GET THIS, we were "examining" the property. All we did was check out the garden (I was into gardening and bonzai at the time) which was right next to the car and walk around the property a little (not very far from the car, about 20 yards!!!). I would think that someone who has a beautiful rental property such as this one wouldn't mind potential customers admiring the place. I would think that is how you get people to want to stay there. I've never heard of vacation property owners NOT wanting you to check a place out.

Anyways, when we finally were allowed in the stable Suzanne was very rude and condescending the entire time. We almost decided to leave but we were not about to let her steal our Joy, and I really wanted to ride. She threatened me that if I damaged any of her horses that she would make me pay. She also said that if we were going to continue to be rude that we should just leave. WE had not been rude to her the whole time and every time she attacked us we responded positively and tried to assure her that this was just a big misunderstanding and we were just excited to be there.

So we finally get to the trail and as soon as I mount my horse she starts with her criticizing condescending remarks...I'll admit, i did mount the horse kind of awkwardly, uncharacteristic of me because I can mount fairly well for a novice, but it didn't deserve the criticism...the truth is I was very nervous and tense because I didn't want to do anything else to upset Suzanne...not that I think we did anything wrong in the first place, but I didn't want to make the situation worse.

The trails were beautiful, but I really wanted to go to a different trail. I didn't ask because, again, I was nervous and tense and didn't want to "stir the water". The horses were very nice, responsive, and beautiful. I rode Gemstar who acted exactly as I expected an Arabian would...willing to go whereever however and whenever, and do it fast if I wanted. Briscoe was good for my gf because she'd only been on a horse once before. He tested her a little, but not too much. Good learning horse. Suzanne seemed more calm on the trails and we actually were able to enjoy it a little. She even let me gallop which is a non negotiable event when i'm on horseback ;)

When we got back to the stable Suzanne was not as bad as during the morning, but there was still an air of negativity towards us despite us being very positive and patient the whole time. She treated my gf rudely because she was a bit cautious about feeding her horse a carrot. She did feed the horse but I guess Suzanne didn't realize that someone who has never been around a 1200lb animal like this is going to be careful about putting their fingers near the mouth. She also complained that she couldn't waste any time because she had a group coming in the afternoon!! When I heard that I thought to myself "then what was the big deal about us showing up a little early?"

I was very excited about this trip and the fact that it was my birthday made the experience that much worse. We are both poor college kids, taking a day off of school right before exams, and driving farther and paying more than we would have to at other stables in the area to try a new place. We definitely could have been treated much better!!
The only reason i'm not giving a terrible rating is because the horses and trails are very good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Lady_Hawk_Farm, Owner at Lady Hawk Farm, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
I am sorry the ride did not please you. I try very hard to make each ride special.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you are ready to do more than just sit on a horse for a nose to tail ride, this is your place. Suzanne is a great instructor; has fabulous horses and the cabin is really a 2 bedroom house! Suzanne worked hard to make sure that we fit the horse and the saddle. Daily rides through the lovely Withalacoochee State Park were always different and interesting. We were beginners when we arrived and now feel we can ride with confidence. The cabin is extremely well equipped, spotlessly clean and charmingly decorated. The hot tub was a daily treat after the rides. One could not ask for more--campfires at night, a large swimming pool, bbq grills, marvelous horses, a screened in porch with a swing, beautiful surroundings, and friendly and knowledgeable hosts. We will definitely go back time and again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I spent a half day riding and I can not put into words how wonderful the experience was. I have ridden many places but this place stands out to me because it was laid back and peaceful. The horses were well trained, and pampered pets as opposed to the run of the mill rentals that one commonly finds. I cant wait to go back, there are thousands of acres of trails to explore in the forest. Suzanne was friendly and knowledgeable, you can really see she does this out of love for her horses. I cant say in mere words how wonderful the time i spent there was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Awesome will definately book another hack. The horses were great and Suzanne's local knowledge was amazing. We were very happy with the one on one attention she gave. The cabin toliets were immaculate and the gardens were gorgeous the variety of birds was fantastic. Overall a fantastic day, can't wait to go back

• Stayed November 2012
Ft Pierce
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Horseback Riding @ it's best. Combine the fully 2 BR + equipped cabin, pool, hot tub, grill, satellite TV,internet access, campfire & riding just steps away. Why leave?? Only for food, bring a cooler with food, if u can drive, but if ur flying, stop at the grocery store. All amenties r there, just need the bulk of food. I promise u, once u arrive, u will never want 2 leave.

We all ask, " What else is there 2 do????..There r restaurants, attractions close, but, honestly 4 us, we've never needed them....We came here 2 relax, & that is exactly what we did. Isn't that what we all came in search of?? The most beautifully kept horses, the best guide (Susanne) & the Withlacoochee Forest . Her knowledge & criticing keep us all safe & enjoying the best of Central Florida. She is Simply The Best!!!! The most perfect equestrian get away is here .

We'll see u very soon.
Luv ya
Steph & Vicki

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you. I appreciate your comments. The fact you have been here more than ten times is appreciated as well.
Maslul Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We have found a very well equipped roomy cabin for the four of us in the heart of a horse farm.
Felt like we are part of snow white's forest The horses are great and well trained.
It was a tailor made vacation with horse to rider match and route selection.
Farm owners made it easy and fun for all riders experienced and first timers.
The rest of the time was simply rest with the swimming pool at day and marshmallow by the fire at night.
We all enjoyed, adults and children.
Our only regret is we did not plan a longer stay.
It is the ultimate vacation for horse lovers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
grand cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Tailor-made experience for riders of all backgrounds in a private and tranquil setting, special thanks to Susanne and Jim for their care and wisdom along with the nine beautifully kept horses and ponies all with their own personality. Just an hour from Tampa, its conveniently close to amenities but far enough to feel like a retreat, the accommodation was very comfortable and we especially loved lighting the camp fire each night, once lit we needed for nothing!

We will be back for sure, but next time we'll stay longer!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lady Hawk Farm? Share your experiences!