“AWESOME VACATIONS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barrett Beach Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indian Shores
Barrett Beach Bungalows
Save Saved
You added Barrett Beach Bungalows to your Saves list
19646 Gulf Blvd, Indian Shores, FL 33785   |
Windermere, Florida, United States
“AWESOME VACATIONS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I started 3 years ago trying to find a location to vaca. I'm a business woman for over 27 years without a vacation. I was determined to find a quiet, friendly place out of the normal tourist rat race. I found it, the bungalows was the best place ever, and is now the vacation spot every year for me. The owner is fantasic, she lives on premises and will go beyond and out of her way to make it your best vacation ever! I take my family and friends every year since and we all have a blast. I have met the best friends and loving families at this location, it is perfect for our family. The pool is great, the barbeque area at night or eve is wonderful. It is a great family vacation. My pets are welcome as is yours, and we all love to take our entire family, which includes my dogs and how many places let you do that? I normally do not write anything or voice an opinion, but I read a post from a guest while I was at the fantastic vacation bungalow and it really hit a nerve. The post was about DOG POOL-REALLY he brought his, and his kids love the pool. If I had has many complaints about the pool, my kids would not have been swimming in it! So Oviously, his vacation was not what he was expecting because of his own personal reasons, why blame someone else for you not having a good time. This person set of a pop up tent in the middle of the barbeque area for the whole week and only used it in the morning. OK, everybody else had to deal with it and never said a word. It's vacation, people only get that time with there family once a year usually, so we deal with it, and he complains???

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband, 7 year old twins, and Australian Shepherd went for an awesome week! The Mermaid Mini-Mansion was wonderful and colorful and we felt right at home.Comfortable beds throughout!!! It was a great place to have everything- beach to play or relax, relax, and be away from it all but moments from everything. This was a great place to bring our pooch who is a valued part of our family. Liz was very helpful and accomodating with my family and helped make our trip great. Linens and supplies were well stocked. Way better than a hotel or condo!!!! We will be back next year!!!!!! The pool and grounds were perfect for relaxing, having a BBQ and fire to watch the sun set. Fabulous location!!!!!!! This is a great place to come for a couples or family vacation!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed in the Dolphin for two nights as a last hurrah before my son started kindergarten. We had a fabulous time. The dolphin is the furthest bungalow from the beach and it still feels like you are really right there, just a few steps and you are on the sand. The beach was quiet and lovely. The pool area was awesome and were we ended up spending most of our time. My son loved the hammock and wants to go back every year. We also got to meet Liz, the owner, who was super nice and attentive. We will definitely be going back. I loved the coziness of the bungalow and there was a liquor store, diner, and ice cream shop right across the street, so we didn't even move our car once!

Lithia, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Unfortunately, we made the mistake of selecting a Barrett Beach Bungalow to spend a week at the beach we so looked forward to. One of our requirements was a pool for our children to enjoy on our vacation. We had wondered why the pool hours were so restrictive as the hours were 11am to 7pm. We soon discovered that the hours were set that way so the owner could let their two large dogs enjoy the pool before the paying guests are allowed to use it. The rules plainly states that "animals are not allowed in pool" . One morning we decided to go to the beach about 10am and was going through the pool area as a shortcut to the beach. As we entered the pool area, the owner quickly announced that the pool was not open until 11 and that it is the "dog pool" now. Mind you that this is a small pool and these are large dogs. These dogs have a rather small confined area in which to relieve themselves. A space a Terrier would barely find adequate. There is absolutely no way that this owner can keep the area they relieve themselves free of their bodily wastes. Who has dogs that would remove the ground that they did this on. There is no doubt that some small amount remains that they continually walk on and let us not forget about the urine. I have had dogs all my life and know that it gets on their feet and also dogs like to roll around and so it is getting on their fur as well. This owner blindly lets her dogs into the pool right up to the time she opens it up for the paying guests. Now all of the bodily wastes from their feet and fur are in the pool, as well as their fur. The owner even had family members staying in one of the cottages with a dog that one of their children repeatedly brought into the pool after 11am when it was supposed to be for the guests. I found this extremely distasteful. I even went up to the owner and told her I was confused because I thought the rule was no dogs in the pool. Her terse rely was "but, they are MY dogs". It is unbelievable that the owner of these cottages is so blind that she can not see how disrespectful this is to her paying guests and how little regard she has for their health. Would you want your kids to swim in that pool ? There are a number of posted rules for the paying guests that she allows her family members to violate and which I will not go into. It just further shows how disrespectful she is of her paying guests. The last item is check in. It was noted time and again that guests are not allowed on the property before the 4pm check in time. I have no argument with that. However, upon our arrival at 4:15, we found our cottage was still being cleaned and found ourselves waiting until 5:15 before we could get into our unit. So, here we are with children, dogs and a car full of food we bought on the way there waiting on a hot day. The unfortunate part was that it was not necessary. The units that were not going to be occupied that day were cleaned before ours which caused the delay. If ours would have been cleaned before the ones that were not going to be occupied that day, this would have not happened. Suffice to say that we will never be back to the Barrett Beach Bungalow.

Room Tip: Pick some place else if you want a clean pool
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My two children and I stayed in the Mermaid Mansion and it was AWESOME. I took my two chiwawas as well. We stayed during the last week of May 2012. We had a large living room and two bedrooms, plus the couch made a third bed. Every morning the view out our living room window was breathtaking!!! The kitchen was equiped with anything you wanted to use to cook your breakfast/lunch/dinner with. The Mermaid was clean and cozy. I'm from the south and it felt like I was at home with the convience of the pool and shade, however, I don't have an ocean in my back yard, and it was blue and fabulous !!!I It was only 3 steps down to the beach from the pool and the pool was only 7 steps from the door !!! There was also a back patio area called a dog run where I hung up our towels to dry each day. There were plenty of floaties to use in the pool too. The inside of the Mermaid was old charm Florida with festive lighting. The sunsets were beautiful as well. We wanted to stay longer. I plan on taking my kids back and staying next summer.

Room Tip: I was glad there wasn't a maid service while I was staying. I can clean up after myself thank yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family (Husband, myself, five year old son, 2 year old daughter and miniature schnauzer) stayed at Marlin's Hideaway for three nights and we loved every minute of it. Steps from the beach and pool. The bungalow was comfy and clean, as was the pool area. Our children played from sunrise to sunset every day. The views from the bungalow are unbeatable!! We are already looking over our calendars to see which week we will be returning!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Tired of staying in the same old hotel rooms when you go to the beach? Looking for a change in scenery? Want to experience the Gulf Coast beach the way they used to? Then get your reservations in for one of the last of its kind on the gulf: the bungalow. And Barrett Beach Bungalows are the cream of the crop.

When I was growing up in the 50s and early 60s, there were few hotels and motels on the beach. It was mostly privately owned houses that the snow birds would lease to locals during the summer when it got hot down here and they flew back up north. And there were also a lot of what we call bungalows: small two or three room houses or attached apartments. I stayed in my share of both as a child.

Barrett Beach Bungalows is the top of the line when it comes to combining old beach charm with up to date conveniences. There are five separate bungalows of various sizes which will sleep different numbers of people. My wife and I spent almost a week in Marlin's Hideaway and we absolutely loved it.

Marlin's is the northern most of the bungalows and has it's own entrance and separate parking space. It is a two bedroom house with a single bathroom. The bedrooms will sleep two per room and the large living room has fold-out sleeping for two more, giving you a grand total of six people who can stay there comfortably.

The living area has a large double-wide sliding glass door that faces the beach so you can sit on the couches and watch the water, the sea gulls, and people walking on the sand and the marvelous sunsets that Florida has year round.

Or you can step right outside those doors onto the private deck that Marlin boasts, sit at one of the tables on the chairs or lounge chairs and watch the splendor of God's handiwork in the sky every night. We would sometimes walk the short path from our door to the lapping waves for the sunsets, and at other times, after spending time in the sun, have our dinner on the deck being entertained by the fiery Florida skies at dusk.

And you never have to leave the property. Marlin's Hideaway comes with a full washer and drier and has a good sized full kitchen. The Marlin shares a pool next door with the other bungalows and we made use of it often. It's good sized and it has a direct unobstructed view of the beach and sunset if you want to watch from there. Marlin also has it's own outside portable grill which we used. It did not come cleaned after the last person but there was a scraper there so I was able to clean it well prior to using it and left it cleaned for the next renter.

Property host Liz Barrett is usually around sometime during the day if you need help with something and will take care of any problems if you have one. Marlin's Hideaway comes with most of the amenities that you may need. The living area has a TV with cable, CD player and VCR with movies. Each bedroom also has it's own television. The kitchen has a fridge, a microwave, a dishwasher and a full stove with oven. The bathroom has a full tub, and the shower comes with a shower seat for those who need one.

For eating, there is a two seat dinette table with chairs and two bar stools for the eat-at counter. There is also a table in the living area. Plus the table on the deck seats four comfortably. The bungalow is exquisitely decorated and clean as a whistle. Oh yeah, the reason it's so clean is that a professional crew comes in between each renter and does that work and you do have to pay the cleaning fee so be forewarned about that charge. There are many other conditions and rules for the rental so do make sure you read them all prior to making your reservation.

The pool is completely fenced and this is a pet friendly property (for an extra charge) so there may be other people's pets there. But if you are bothered by them, there is a pet area behind a see-thru picket fence for your doggie to stay in and still see you. The pool area is also pet friendly unless someone is bothered or has allergies, etc. There is also a full sized private beach volley ball court for your use as well as a firepit. We sat around the fire one night and it brought back some delightful memories of spending a large part of my life on the beaches of this area.

There is a small shopping plaza across the street complete with an ice cream shop which we made use of often. There is also an internet cafe which we ate at but the bungalow does come with it's own high speed wireless internet service.

The beaches at Indian Shores are some of the last unspoiled beaches on the coast. Yes, there are some large condos close by, but it's like stepping back into time at Barrett Beach Bungalows and we can highly recommend them to everyone who wants to come down and experience a little bit of how it used to be.

Room Tip: All of the bungalows have their own feel so if you are in the area, you may want to drop in and see...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Barrett Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!