“The "DOG" pool” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barrett Beach Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indian Shores
Barrett Beach Bungalows
Save Saved
You added Barrett Beach Bungalows to your Saves list
19646 Gulf Blvd, Indian Shores, FL 33785   |
Lithia, Florida
“The "DOG" pool”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Unfortunately, we made the mistake of selecting a Barrett Beach Bungalow to spend a week at the beach we so looked forward to. One of our requirements was a pool for our children to enjoy on our vacation. We had wondered why the pool hours were so restrictive as the hours were 11am to 7pm. We soon discovered that the hours were set that way so the owner could let their two large dogs enjoy the pool before the paying guests are allowed to use it. The rules plainly states that "animals are not allowed in pool" . One morning we decided to go to the beach about 10am and was going through the pool area as a shortcut to the beach. As we entered the pool area, the owner quickly announced that the pool was not open until 11 and that it is the "dog pool" now. Mind you that this is a small pool and these are large dogs. These dogs have a rather small confined area in which to relieve themselves. A space a Terrier would barely find adequate. There is absolutely no way that this owner can keep the area they relieve themselves free of their bodily wastes. Who has dogs that would remove the ground that they did this on. There is no doubt that some small amount remains that they continually walk on and let us not forget about the urine. I have had dogs all my life and know that it gets on their feet and also dogs like to roll around and so it is getting on their fur as well. This owner blindly lets her dogs into the pool right up to the time she opens it up for the paying guests. Now all of the bodily wastes from their feet and fur are in the pool, as well as their fur. The owner even had family members staying in one of the cottages with a dog that one of their children repeatedly brought into the pool after 11am when it was supposed to be for the guests. I found this extremely distasteful. I even went up to the owner and told her I was confused because I thought the rule was no dogs in the pool. Her terse rely was "but, they are MY dogs". It is unbelievable that the owner of these cottages is so blind that she can not see how disrespectful this is to her paying guests and how little regard she has for their health. Would you want your kids to swim in that pool ? There are a number of posted rules for the paying guests that she allows her family members to violate and which I will not go into. It just further shows how disrespectful she is of her paying guests. The last item is check in. It was noted time and again that guests are not allowed on the property before the 4pm check in time. I have no argument with that. However, upon our arrival at 4:15, we found our cottage was still being cleaned and found ourselves waiting until 5:15 before we could get into our unit. So, here we are with children, dogs and a car full of food we bought on the way there waiting on a hot day. The unfortunate part was that it was not necessary. The units that were not going to be occupied that day were cleaned before ours which caused the delay. If ours would have been cleaned before the ones that were not going to be occupied that day, this would have not happened. Suffice to say that we will never be back to the Barrett Beach Bungalow.

Room Tip: Pick some place else if you want a clean pool
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My two children and I stayed in the Mermaid Mansion and it was AWESOME. I took my two chiwawas as well. We stayed during the last week of May 2012. We had a large living room and two bedrooms, plus the couch made a third bed. Every morning the view out our living room window was breathtaking!!! The kitchen was equiped with anything you wanted to use to cook your breakfast/lunch/dinner with. The Mermaid was clean and cozy. I'm from the south and it felt like I was at home with the convience of the pool and shade, however, I don't have an ocean in my back yard, and it was blue and fabulous !!!I It was only 3 steps down to the beach from the pool and the pool was only 7 steps from the door !!! There was also a back patio area called a dog run where I hung up our towels to dry each day. There were plenty of floaties to use in the pool too. The inside of the Mermaid was old charm Florida with festive lighting. The sunsets were beautiful as well. We wanted to stay longer. I plan on taking my kids back and staying next summer.

Room Tip: I was glad there wasn't a maid service while I was staying. I can clean up after myself thank yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family (Husband, myself, five year old son, 2 year old daughter and miniature schnauzer) stayed at Marlin's Hideaway for three nights and we loved every minute of it. Steps from the beach and pool. The bungalow was comfy and clean, as was the pool area. Our children played from sunrise to sunset every day. The views from the bungalow are unbeatable!! We are already looking over our calendars to see which week we will be returning!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Tired of staying in the same old hotel rooms when you go to the beach? Looking for a change in scenery? Want to experience the Gulf Coast beach the way they used to? Then get your reservations in for one of the last of its kind on the gulf: the bungalow. And Barrett Beach Bungalows are the cream of the crop.

When I was growing up in the 50s and early 60s, there were few hotels and motels on the beach. It was mostly privately owned houses that the snow birds would lease to locals during the summer when it got hot down here and they flew back up north. And there were also a lot of what we call bungalows: small two or three room houses or attached apartments. I stayed in my share of both as a child.

Barrett Beach Bungalows is the top of the line when it comes to combining old beach charm with up to date conveniences. There are five separate bungalows of various sizes which will sleep different numbers of people. My wife and I spent almost a week in Marlin's Hideaway and we absolutely loved it.

Marlin's is the northern most of the bungalows and has it's own entrance and separate parking space. It is a two bedroom house with a single bathroom. The bedrooms will sleep two per room and the large living room has fold-out sleeping for two more, giving you a grand total of six people who can stay there comfortably.

The living area has a large double-wide sliding glass door that faces the beach so you can sit on the couches and watch the water, the sea gulls, and people walking on the sand and the marvelous sunsets that Florida has year round.

Or you can step right outside those doors onto the private deck that Marlin boasts, sit at one of the tables on the chairs or lounge chairs and watch the splendor of God's handiwork in the sky every night. We would sometimes walk the short path from our door to the lapping waves for the sunsets, and at other times, after spending time in the sun, have our dinner on the deck being entertained by the fiery Florida skies at dusk.

And you never have to leave the property. Marlin's Hideaway comes with a full washer and drier and has a good sized full kitchen. The Marlin shares a pool next door with the other bungalows and we made use of it often. It's good sized and it has a direct unobstructed view of the beach and sunset if you want to watch from there. Marlin also has it's own outside portable grill which we used. It did not come cleaned after the last person but there was a scraper there so I was able to clean it well prior to using it and left it cleaned for the next renter.

Property host Liz Barrett is usually around sometime during the day if you need help with something and will take care of any problems if you have one. Marlin's Hideaway comes with most of the amenities that you may need. The living area has a TV with cable, CD player and VCR with movies. Each bedroom also has it's own television. The kitchen has a fridge, a microwave, a dishwasher and a full stove with oven. The bathroom has a full tub, and the shower comes with a shower seat for those who need one.

For eating, there is a two seat dinette table with chairs and two bar stools for the eat-at counter. There is also a table in the living area. Plus the table on the deck seats four comfortably. The bungalow is exquisitely decorated and clean as a whistle. Oh yeah, the reason it's so clean is that a professional crew comes in between each renter and does that work and you do have to pay the cleaning fee so be forewarned about that charge. There are many other conditions and rules for the rental so do make sure you read them all prior to making your reservation.

The pool is completely fenced and this is a pet friendly property (for an extra charge) so there may be other people's pets there. But if you are bothered by them, there is a pet area behind a see-thru picket fence for your doggie to stay in and still see you. The pool area is also pet friendly unless someone is bothered or has allergies, etc. There is also a full sized private beach volley ball court for your use as well as a firepit. We sat around the fire one night and it brought back some delightful memories of spending a large part of my life on the beaches of this area.

There is a small shopping plaza across the street complete with an ice cream shop which we made use of often. There is also an internet cafe which we ate at but the bungalow does come with it's own high speed wireless internet service.

The beaches at Indian Shores are some of the last unspoiled beaches on the coast. Yes, there are some large condos close by, but it's like stepping back into time at Barrett Beach Bungalows and we can highly recommend them to everyone who wants to come down and experience a little bit of how it used to be.

Room Tip: All of the bungalows have their own feel so if you are in the area, you may want to drop in and see...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at Marlin's Hideaway April 27-30th for a retirement/birthday celebration for my husband. The bungalow surpassed all of our expectations. We were pleasantly surprised. It is the quintessential beach cottage,perfectly appointed in a nautical theme. The "Hideaway" is steps from the ocean and we had the perfect sunset view each evening. We enjoyed fishing from the shore and strolls on the beach The location to beach and shops couldn't be better. There is an Irish Pub just across the street. The Salt Rocks Grill is just down the street and had wonderful food. Despite being in such close proximity to convenience, it was such a tranquil setting. Jan and Liz were so accomodating during our booking process. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I just spent a week at Barrett Beach Bungalows and it was a great beach vacation. I stayed in Dolphin with my teenage daughter and my mother. The beach access was great for my mom who has trouble walking, and the beach was beautiful. The Bungalow was clean and pest free, not posh but very comfortable and functional. I would recommend this place to family and friends and if I visit the area again, I would stay here again. I appreciated that there were enough rules that it won't attract a "college" party crowd, it is a great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Charleston, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our stay at the Dolphin was awsome. My husband and I took all four of our children (ages 6, 9, 10, 11) for a week long stay in the Bungalows. We were primarily looking from a place that would allow my husband and I to enjoy ourselves without the worry of our childrens safety and all the strangers in the large condos. Our neighbors were amazing and treated our chidren as if they were their own grandkids :) Our unit was very clean and everything that was suppose to be there was there. Our kids had a blast catching a couple crabs out of the pool each morning and releasing them back into the ocean (to be expected when you have such a beautiful pool so close to such a beautiful beach!). My husband caught plenty of fish right of the bay across the street, and we were able to grill out on the beach almost every night. Yummy!! The check in and check out was very easy and convenient. And best of all, it was affordable!! Thanks Liz for doing everything you can to keep these bungalow at an affordable price, epecially compaired to your competitors! FYI, to anyone who reads this...if you are looking for a place that will serve you your meals, make your beds for you and wipe down your seat down every time you stand up, then you can PAY big $ for those amenities at a place down the road. Liz's Bungalows only offer a quiet, private, beautiful, right-on-the-beach, make-your-self-at-home kinda atmosphere with great friendly service at a great rate! This stay was nothing but a true Blessing, and we are greatful for every minute of it! P.S. The shower right outside the back door that enters into the bathroom is AMAZING for anybody bringing sandy kids back from the beach!!

Room Tip: East bedroom is for early risers (sun gets pretty bright in the morning, so we hung a sheet over the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barrett Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!