“Could have been great! One bad employee can ruin an entire experience.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Beach Resort

You added Barefoot Beach Resort to your Saves list
Barefoot Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   19417 Gulf Blvd, Indian Shores, FL 33708   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Could have been great! One bad employee can ruin an entire experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We arrived on April 27 and had booked a deluxe 2 bedroom package with Allegiant Air. After booking in March, I had called the resort to ask if they pre-block a certain room. I was told that wasn't an option. I asked what type of view we would have. I was told since I booked Allegiant we won't be getting a room with a water view & they do not allow upgrades for a view (which I wanted to pay). So if a view is important to you, don't go through Allegiant.
Although i was disappointed with all the "no" answers I had received, I was still excited to experience the resort. Check-in was smooth and the woman that was working was pleasant and brought us a pack and play immediately. The room we received was E-107. We opened the door and was again disappointed. I understand each condo is owned and then rented out. This owner hasn't put money into this unit. The carpet was disgusting, I didn't want to have bare feet in the place we were calling home for the week. The unit did not have a clean smell. By the end of the night we looked at our daughters feet and they were black! There wasn't a mop to clean the floors, so I called the office around 7pm (they close at 5pm) and left a message. I wish I could say that is the end of my complaint, but when we went to bed, I couldn't believe how horrific the mattress was. I have never slept on something so terrible. After a long day of traveling (with back issues) the last thing you want to sleep on is a mattress that feels like a wooden board. Both my husband and I didn't sleep, tossing & turning, trying to find a comfortable spot. At about 4am, I was ready to find a different hotel. There was a couch I could have slept on, but the furniture was dirty and I didn't want to sit on it, let alone sleep on it. Seriously. A bed (and sleep) is a very important part of an enjoyable vacation.
The next morning, Tuesday, I went to the office to talk with the staff about the dirty floors and the mattress. I wish I could remember the gals name but she had blonde hair and she listened very well but said she needed to speak with the general manager. I left my phone number and a few hours later she called to let me know that another room is available if I wanted to move. However, There would be a $40 cleaning charge.
At 4 o'clock, when we returned from the aquarium, I went to the office to get the key to room E-113 to see if the bed was any better (praying it was). The woman at the desk was different (I believe her name was April, brown short hair with glasses). She knew who I was, handed me the key and seemed very put out by this request. My family and I went to the new room to lay on the beds and found that they were far more comfortable and the unit was so much cleaner, it was a true upgrade from room 107. I believe unit e-107 would be comparable to a Motel 6 room. So I was happy that the resort offered to switch my condo, but disappointed to pay the $40 fee when the unit they placed us in is not a quality product, even after they cleaned the floors. But I also understand they don't want to pay the cleaning fee, so whatever. I just needed sleep and to relieve my back pain.
So I return to the office and told April that we were going to be moving to the new room. She was highly annoyed that we decided to move. I asked if she needed the $40 now for the cleaning fee and she said yes she took my credit card and was not able to print me a receipt because it was an allegiant package and those are "such a hassle". She then reminded me that the office closes in one hour so I will need to be moved by then. And that was it, nothing else to say to me. I tried to let her know that moving wasn't ideal for us either, and that I'm inconveniencing my family because of my back - which your mattress is a contributing factor! But she didn't engage and gave me a look with pursed lips, like "yep, it is a hassle". Talk about making me feel like a second-class citizen. If those packages are a hassle, why partner with Allegiant? Honestly, I was so happy to get a different room, with a better mattress, why did April feel she needed to be rude to me? I had no sleep the night before. Would it have killed her to give me the keys and say "hope this works better for you". She didn't thank me or say anything. I felt like a MAJOR inconvenience to her. And that is my biggest complaint. The resort could have turned the entire thing around with just a bit of customer service, but that wasn't something April felt I deserved.
The rest of the week was great, pool was nice, beach access was perfect and guess what? The mattress & cleanliness exceeded expectations in room E-113.
Will we be back? No, unfortunately not. I won't return to an establishment that treats their customers like that. It's really unfortunate, because I wasn't rude to her at all, I was thankful for the solution. I truly hope Barry speaks with his staff about the importance of making each guest feel welcome and appreciated, never a hassle or annoyance. I really expect more from a 50 year old woman working at the office of a resort.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just came home from a 4 night stay on an Allegiant package deal. Really enjoyed the location, across the street from the beach, an easy walk even with a stroller and beach stuff. The outdoor pool area was very nice, right on the waterway. Had a first floor unit. Loved having a condo, the space was great for family of 3. Loved that our unit had beach chairs, sand buckets, umbrella to use at the beach. Used the sleeper sofa for the kid. Cable TV selection good for sports watching.
Only complaint was that the carpet in the bedroom was filthy in need of cleaning and the mattress was hard as a rock. All else very clean.
The area is very quiet, not commercial at all, beach was wide and not crowded.
Happy to have discovered this part of Florida!

Room Tip: First floor if you have kids, stroller, etc.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
bbvr, General Manager at Barefoot Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you! We're so pleased you discovered our beautiful area and honored us with a stay. It's great that you and your family had fun and enjoyed the resort and the amenities in your unit.

We do take comments seriously, and we have passed along your mention of the carpet. It is our intent that all our guests have a 100% perfect stay.

There is always something new going on in the area and we do hope you'll stay in touch with us on Facebook for more reasons to come back.

Castle Pines, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We found this gem through VRBO. Stayed in unit B-102. Pleasantly surprised when we walked to see it looked like the pictures online. Very nice, comfortable, and easy to get to the beach. Parking was fine. Two entrances, one from the parking lot, one from the pool. Sun room was so nice to sit in. Pool well maintained. Office staff pleasant. Floors could have been swept/vacuumed a LITTLE better before we arrived, as you constantly had sand on your feet. Nice to have a kitchen to make breakfast in each day. A sink drainer would have been nice to wash/rince dishes. We didn't make enough of a mess each day to use the dishwasher. The place isn't brand new, but it's nicely done. Another towel bar in the bathroom would be nice to have. We stayed a week, so had to pick up more toilet paper, and a box of tissues. Even tho we were located right in front of the pool, you really didn't hear much from it when inside the unit. The hamper baskets were a nice touch. Good wifi in the room and at the pool. Eat at the Salt Rock Grill next door. Good food and service! If we're back in the area, we'll stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
bbvr, General Manager at Barefoot Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you! We're pleased you stayed here at Barefoot Beach Resort. We're pleased you two enjoyed your stay and all the resort amenities. We'll pass along your compliments to our staff - they want everyone's stay to be a pleasant one.

You're right - Salt Rock is excellent and so convenient for our guests!

Thanks again and best regards,

Vetlanda, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Went here for vacation with my family and are very satisfied with Barefoot Beach Resort. Our flat was twice as big as I expected and close located to both the Gulf of Mexico and with a quiet pool area at the canal side for windy days. It´s perfect located between Clearwater and for going South and visit islands like AnnaMaria Island or explore beaches like Siesta Keys. I would come back again

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
You came a long way! Thanks for visiting us and writing about your experience at Barefoot. It pleases us to know you and your family had an enjoyable time, loved the spaciousness and convenience of the condo unit and its easy location to the beach.

We're sincerely hoping you can indeed return with your family. We'd love to have you!

Pepperell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We truly enjoyed our stay at Barefoot Beach Resort! We found the property to be very relaxing even for it's larger size. The units appear to be sound proof as we never heard any noise from other units. The resort was super clean and very well maintained. Our favorite relaxing spot was with a beach chair staring out at the Intercoastal and watching the boats cruise by, fish jumping, an occasional dolphin sighting. The unit we stayed in was updated and just perfect. The owners made us feel very welcome and checked in with us upon arrival and departure to make sure all was OK. The beach access was right across the street, a super short walk away. We will stay at this property again.

Room Tip: We would recommend staying on left side or middle of property - Buildings C, B, E or A. There is no...
Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you! We appreciate your comments and kind words following your stay with us recently. So glad you had chance to relax and enjoy the surroundings - including those graceful dolphins!

We're glad you plan to stay with us again at Barefoot and we recommend you follow us on Facebook for more reasons to come back to Indian Shores!

Mapleton, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arrived very late in the night and were given instructions to our condo. I had booked through Allegiant and paid for a 2 bedroom. We had guest that would be staying for a couple days along with my teenage son and husband, we felt we needed the extra room. Anxiously awaiting to arrive in Florida from freezing Maine, I was disappointed that we were put in a one bedroom, modified as a 2 bedroom condo. The sitting area that I was looking forward to spending mornings drinking coffee, was converted into a second bedroom. When you view the floor plans of the condos, it says the 2 bedrooms are 1,000 sq feet and when you are paying extra for a 2 bedroom, this what I was expecting. Not the "No Surprises Guaranteed" that it says on the website.

I wasn't about to let this ruin my vacation, however, it was disappointing. The pool area was very nice as well as the property. The condo itself was decent.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for coming to stay with us with your family during spring break. We're glad you enjoyed the resort's central location and amenities, especially the pool.

We're sorry you felt disappointed in the layout of your unit and didn't get to enjoy your morning coffee time. Units are of the square footage noted but as you found out, this one had been converted.

Please feel free to call us and ask these types of questions if you plan to return and we'll do our best to find you the perfect unit. Thanks again for your business.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great location and accommodations. I originally was looking for something on the beach but this place is just steps away. We stayed in the two bedroom condo and could not have asked for anything better. It was clean, spacious and very modern. Pool and beach were both very nice. Great place for famies.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you! We're glad you and your family were pleased with our resort, accommodations and location for your recent stay. You're right - the spaciousness of the units is perfect for families.

There are always reasons to come back - lots of events and happenings up and down the beach. Hopefully you'll follow us on Facebook and stay in touch!

All the best,

Barry Bartley

Been to Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!