“Roach/Waterbug problem” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Second Street, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Kissimmee, Florida
“Roach/Waterbug problem”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

During the night as I went to use the bathroom, I noticed a large water bug (~3cm) inside the shower. At check out I did mention this to the front desk, and he responded, "what do you expect? we are surrounded by water." Very unprofessional, he did not offer any apology or to even try to correct the issue. This seemed normal to him, maybe he has these critters at home, so I guess this would be normal for him... Never going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear agar1975,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

I sincerely apologize for the poor experience and service issues you had during your stay. This is definitely not up to our standards and deeply regret for falling short on our regular standards on this occasion.

I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to Indian Rocks Beach.

425 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Crosby, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After booking my week long stay at the Holiday Inn almost a month in advance, I started to see some reviews that were very disheartening; such as bugs, mold, non-functioning a/c units, you name it, someone complined about it.

When my wife and I arrived on site, we excited to see such a fresh and unique hotel rather than 'cookie cutter' htels you would normally find. We booked a King Studio, mid-courtyard on the lower floor and it was perfect! I have stayed in some very seedy hotels before, but this is far from even your 'average' hotel. The inner courtyard gives you protection from the rain when playing on the minigolf course or walking between rooms and the pool, Jimmy Guana's, the elevator and stairs , etc. The room was very clean and they even stock the restrooms with Bath & Body Works products like shampoo, conditioner and lotion. I have also seen some complaints about the small windows, but let me tell ou, we had a large picture window out to the courtyard (roughly 5' tall by 8' wide) that could be fully exposed by opening the wooden shutter style blinds, or fully sealed off at night by closing the louvers. The in-wall a/c unit may be a tad bit small for the space, but by setting it at 68 I was able to keep the room at a comfortable 73 degrees all day long. The bedside kitchenette is adequate for short stays and comes stocked with pots, pans, plates, silverwear and an in-counter 2 burner stove if you wanted to cook yourself. The mini fridge was enough to hold leftovers from our dinners, a 12pack of cokes and a few bottles of water. Full size closet, hangers, ironing board and iron, dual sinks, adequately sized restroom, 2 seater table, large couch that can be folded out into a bed, 37" TV, coffe table, alarm clocks, can lights on a dimmer above the bed for reading... I can't find anything to pick on. Everything is satisfactory!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pitman, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel itself is nice and open with great views of the marina and close to the beach. One minor issue upon arrival was the non-functioning elevator and lack of carts for baggage (the hotel only has 5 total). Now onto the bigger issue.

ATROCIOUS, DISRESPECTFUL, RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL...these are a few words that come to mind when describing my stay and the staff at this hotel. We stayed over the July 4th weekend as part of a wedding. The night of the wedding, bride and groom were asleep upstairs in their suite and a few guests were sitting on the outside deck of the suite. After receiving a noise complaint against us the night before, we were talking quietly outside when the hotel manager accompanied by 5 police officers entered the room. They rudely told us we had to vacate the hotel...THE BRIDE AND GROOM INCLUDED!! One of the guests, a member of the US Army, asked why we were being asked to leave without warning; we were told we received a warning the night before...yes, a completely different night, different group, different circumstances. He then was ARRESTED immediately and told he was an embarrassment to the US military! The bride came downstairs in her wedding dress to see what was going on, rightfully got upset and angry, then had the police pull out their TASER because she was arguing with them! I don't know about anyone else, but the unprofessionalism, rudeness, and unnecessary power trip of the hotel management is astounding. I'm amazed a company such as this would put their guests through this horrific experience. No cars, no place to go...would you put yourself or your family in the care of an establishment with this character?

I've honestly never been treated so poorly in my life and I will never get the vision of my cousin, the bride, standing there in her wedding gown sobbing in front of hotel management and police being kicked out of her room on her wedding night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kat0980,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

It is regrettable to learn that we have left you with a less than memorable experience especially on this special occasion. I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had and for any inconvenience our staff has caused you. We deeply regret the dissatisfaction and the negative impressions you may have had.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Melbourne, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

When I entered my room, I could not believe my eyes. It was overlooking a courtyard, that is if you could see out the only window in the room which was maybe two feet wide covered with shutters from the outside. The room was so dark that you could not see anything without a light on. It was small and confining. I believe they converted a broom closet into a room.
I requested a different room and was told, sorry no can do. If I wanted an upgrade, that is to say a room with a window to the outside it would be $75 more.
I was so turned off by this whole experience, we drove 3 hours to get to this place, and checked out within 30 minutes.
I will admit I did get the room on Priceline, and it got such glowing reviews, I was very excited when they accepted my bid of $126, which is of course, non refundable.
When I read other peoples' reviews, I think, "were they at the same place?", but I am sure they didn't get assigned a broom closet, which by the way did smell like one too.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Clearwater Beach South Harbourside, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Cindy M,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

I am disappointed to hear that you didn't find your room to your liking. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any dissatisfaction this has caused you and for the negative impressions you may have had.

These certainly are not usual and we will be looking into these further and rest assured that your comments will be used to target opportunity areas. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a laid back, off the beaten path with a great beach, this is it! The Holiday Inn is very nice, clean, and family friendly but relaxing for adults too. Located on the intercostal, it is only a short walk to the beach and local restaurants and bars. We booked on Priceline and got a great price but 3rd party bookings does not entitle you to any freebies, like breakfast or mini golf. There are no resort fees here, but probably for not too long because a water park is coming next year! We enjoyed Rum Runners by the pool while our daughter enjoyed the kid friendly pool. Upper deck had another indoor/outdoor bar/restaurant that had live entertainment as well. Enjoyed fresh seafood at Crabby Bills, reasonably priced but busy!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed 6/30-7/2 at this hotel. It was great! We were upgraded to a loft room which had a beautiful view of the marina. We were able to check in right when we got there at 11 a.m. The check in was very fast and the guy at the front was extremely upbeat and professional! The lobby is well maintained and has a cute fish display.

The room was more than we asked for but a great surprise for my birthday. We had rented a standard and they upgraded me for free not even knowing it was my birthday :) The jacuzzi tub was perfect and had a huge fully equipped kitchen.

We had a few cocktails at the Jimmy Iguana's that is on property. The bartender was a new girl who looked lost and was very slow. But we are in the industry, so understood the pressure and we were patient.

The pool bar down by the pool is great! The bartenders were very nice and drinks were "on point!" The pool area is great. A friend of ours visited with her two year old and he loved the slide and fountains! It was very quiet.

The hotel was walking distance to the beach, which is also very quiet and quaint but beautiful. We spent a lot of time at Crabby Bill's. They have a great happy hour from 4-7 and live music at night. There's a cute little breakfast place a few blocks down that sells donuts, blts, and pastries. It was packed at 7am so we knew we were in the right place. Food was greatttt :)

I'd definitely reccommend this to friends and family :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Larkhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just back home after a wk in your lovely hotel had the best time ever this is our 21st time traveling over florida and the keys wee have been in some lovely hotels this one did it for us the setting was so beautiful and the whole place was spotless right away on arrival wee were upgraded to a studio i could not fault a thing and wee cant wait to come back

Room Tip: If you want to be bayside the rooms are extra