“Great place to stay for families!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tuckaway Shores Resort

You added Tuckaway Shores Resort to your Saves list
Tuckaway Shores Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1441 S. Miramar Avenue, (Hwy. A1A), Indialantic, FL 32903   |
Special Price
Suites on the Beach
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Indialantic
saraelizabeth76
“Great place to stay for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

My family and I stayed at Tuckaway shores for a week for our Spring Break. I wanted a place off the beaten path so we could have privacy and safety not have to battle crowds at the beach. That's exactly what we found. Tuckaway shores is located on a main road and we were there over Spring Break, and literally on any given day there were no more than four or five other families or groups of people on the beach. It was quiet, my two daughters had their own shell collections right on the beach that never so much as got disturbed, and we could often just leave our stuff on the beach if we had to head back to the room since there was hardly anyone there. If we headed about 1/4 mile down the shoreline there was a public beach that was very crowded, but by the resort it was nice and quiet. They also had water and sand toys for the girls to use so we didn't have to lug any with us which was very nice. The resort has a heated outdoor pool which was very warm - the thermostat happened to break on the second to last day of our stay, so the water was cold then, but otherwise I think they said it was kept at 80-something. My daughter was just about as infatuated with the pool as she was with the ocean.

We had a first floor oceanview suite, which I highly recommend. Any other rooms on the second or third floor you have to walk down a staircase along the back of the building and then cut through or around the building to get to the bridge to the beach....with being on the first floor we had a door that opened up directly to the bridge to the beach and ocean which, especially with little ones, was nice. I was concerned that we may not be able to see the ocean as well with being on the first floor but we could see and hear it just fine. One thing I did not like, however, is that you could not open the windows to get some fresh air or hear the ocean. There were no screens on the windows and they didn't even open. If we wanted some air or to hear the ocean we had to leave the door open which led to bugs getting in the room.

Regarding the rooms, the size was fine and as expected. We had a queen size bed and a couch that pulled out into a bed. I read other reviews and was forewarned about the hard beds, but they were even more uncomfortable and hard than I was prepared for. Neither my husband or I slept the first night, and on the second day he went to Walmart and got a memory foam pad for $35. Unfortunate that we had to spend the extra money but at least we got some sleep during our vacation! In my opinion, I think the resort should invest at least in some matress pads if not new mattresses! There was a kitchenette that seemed to stock almost all necessary utensils (including a corkscrew and coffee maker).

We went to Magic Kingdom one day and it took almost an hour and a half to get there. Just an FYI for families interested in staying here but going to travel to the theme parks. There are a ton of restaurants and a grocery store nearby...it seemed like everything we needed plus some was around.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sarasota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

We discovered Tuckaway Shores last year, and were happy to book a room again, on the third floor overlooking the ocean. This time we were disappointed. There were scores of ants all over the kitchen counter (they bite!), and then a big roach appeared from behind the refrigerator, and another one in a kitchen cabinet. As the office closes at 9 p.m., we were stuck trying to sleep with some very unwelcome guests.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bugs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Spring Green, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We loved Tuckaway Shores and really couldn't have asked for a better experience.

We booked an oceanfront room on the second floor, so we had a balcony and could enjoy the ocean view from our room. The hotel really couldn't be any closer to the beach and in early October, when we stayed, the beach was practically deserted.

We stayed for four nights, Tuesday through Saturday. Honestly, we rarely saw another person Tuesday through Thursday. It seemed as though the hotel filled up for the weekend, but it was still a pretty low key place to be.

The beach was wonderful, although it was 'sea turtle season' so there was sea weed everywhere and there were no lights allowed on the beach after dark. Not a big deal to us, but if you are looking for that perfect white sand beach or you want to have evening bonfires or walk with a flash light, then this is probably not for you.

The room was great. The decor was a bit dated, or maybe just not my style, but we don't really care about such things. The kitchen area was very small, but usable. The room was very clean and we were given fresh towels daily. The bed was hard, as others have mentioned, but it wasn't the worst I have ever slept on.

The pool was great. Completely fenced in, which I really liked to help contain my three-year-old. The hotel provides an abundance of beach chairs, beach toys, and blow up pool toys which the kids loved.

All in all we were very pleased and couldn't really say anything bad. However, I rated this hotel as 5 stars based off our expectations and the wonderful experience we had. This is not really a '5-star' hotel in the traditional sense. There is no spa, no restaurant, no gym, the beach is not manicured nightly. There is no elevator, no fancy lobby, no wi-fi or internet access at all. There is also not a lot of 'touristy' things to do in the immediate neighborhood. If that is what you are looking for then you should stay up the road in Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral.

• Liked — Quiet location, view of the beach
  • Disliked — Bedroom was not a separate room -- no door
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alvechurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

Spotted this property online, with good reviews, just down from Cocoa Beach in Florida. We were booked for two weeks at International Drive but wanted to have a good few days at the beach. Booked directly with Tuckaway- very helpful and a good price. Booked second floor with beach/sea view- fantastic. Room was excellent and equipment all new. Kids loved beach. Tuckaway supply towels for beach and there is a selection of beach chairs all at no extra charge. Overall a great time had by all. (Didn't see any turtles though).
Recommended.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

I would have easily given this motel a 4 or 5 star rating if it would have taken care of some of the problems mentioned by other reviewers. In our unit (218) there were marks on the walls; the noisy AC unit is 3 feet away from the bed; the room was much smaller than I had anticipated.

Still I would have rated this place 4 stars if it wasn't for the dreadful bed. I have slept more comfortably on trains, airplanes, even the odd backseat of an automobile. When my wife and I woke up (or did we ever really get to sleep?) the following morning we both felt like we had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. My body is still sore as I write this. I really expect more for a $155 per night.

On the plus side Tuckaway has a great location-a good distance away from the masses at the boardwalk but within walking distance of the restaurants/bars on 5th ave. The room was clean, the pool area was very nice and the staff was friendly. There were lots of small children (including mine) at the motel so keep that in mind if you're looking for an "adults only" experience.

• Stayed June 2008
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

This hotel is a small gem on the Indiatlantic Beach. While the decor is a bit dated and the beds are hard (the sofa bed was a dream in comparison), this is a nice budget hotel where I would stay again. We stayed on the 3rd floor with a great view of the ocean. However, if I stayed here again, I would pick a 1st or 2nd floor room, as they have balconies.

Pros: Very secluded beach, quiet pool, boogie boards and chairs available for guests use, close to restaurants and shops, WONDERFUL staff, great value on the beach, small kitchen in room, clean rooms, did I mention a WONDERFUL staff?

Cons: Pool is locked down promptly at 9pm, dated decor and televisions, hard beds, 3rd floor rooms do not have balconies, no elevator, bathroom is tiny and the dressing area/mirror cannot be closed off (I would recommend that the hotel add bifold doors)

All in all, this is a nice hotel for the price.

• Liked — Location, value, internet service in room
  • Disliked — Pool closes early, hard beds, small dressing/bathroom area
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

The room was such a disappointment. There was black marks all over the walls in the living area. The bed was terribly hard, and the slider windows advertised on their site, well not so. The railing to the steps inside the room was broken. We were very upset and they did nothing but offer us a downgrade, yes a downgrade. I felt degraded having to stay there but we drove three and a half hours and had no other choice. This is actually the second time we stayed here. Last year feb. 2007 we were led to believe that we were getting a partial ocean view, well I tell you the only way you could get a partial view is if you walk about 15 yards into the parking lot. However we stayed that time too. We will never stay there again. They should just be honest and not lure people in with their website and over exaggerated descriptions.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Tuckaway Shores Resort? Share your experiences!