“A Hidden Treasure” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MacRae's of Homosassa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Homosassa
MacRae's of Homosassa
You added MacRae's of Homosassa to your Saves list
5300 S Cherokee Way, Homosassa, FL 34487   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Homosassa B&B and Inns
Daytona Beach, Florida
“A Hidden Treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have just returned from treating myself to a short vacation at this hotel, and I could not be happier with my choice. The staff was great; I was a first-time visitor but I was treated like I had been a repeat guest for years. The rooms are comfortable, simple, and very clean. I manage a hotel myself, so my standards tend to be high. Attractive location, nice rooms, great little riverside bar with a more than adequate menu, and a terrific, friendly, efficient and helpful staff. I'll certainly be a repeat guest.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My friend dragged me to this dump to spend the night because she had a nostalgic night there over 20 years ago. It seemed ok at first glance, but if you looked closely there were hairs in the bed (whose hairs and how did they get there?) When I went to use the towel in the bathroom, there was a hair in the towel too (a thick black pubic or beard hair). In the corner of the bathroom, it looked like they had used a broom to sweep, but could quite reach the corner. I was afraid to sit on the couch - this is the type of place that is used by rowdy bikers and fishermen and perhaps don't care too much about hygiene. There are quaint rockers on the front porch where people sit and drink beer, smoke cigarettes and talk loud until the week hours of the morning. I wouldn't even walk on the floor without my shoes. The towels in this motel are so rough that you can exfoliate your skin with them. The blankets, bed spreads and sheets look like they haven't been replaced in decades. The shower is this tiny little space that resembles the shower in a trailer home. This is not the type of place that I am used to staying in and it actually cost more than the Hampton Inn ($125.00 for an "efficiency" with two double beds and a couch, small kitchen and dining table. Unless you just absolutely have to stay at the Homosassa River area for a festival or something and you are willing to compromise on the cleanliness - I wouldn't advise staying here. If you do, bring your own sheets and plenty of Lysol and wipes - maybe even your own towels. Definitely bring some houseshoes or some socks to walk around in. Sorry folks, this place gave me the absolute creeps. You can call me a primadonna if you like, but I don't like to feel grossed out when I stay in a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room; efficiences have more space
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Land O Lakes, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

At first glance the accomodations seemed quite nice. Then we got to see the room. Here's what we thought was quite unpleasant:
The shower curtain had mold all over it
While taking a shower the water change tempurature many times
Many of the people staying there acting quite inappropriately all hours of the evening and there was no one on the premises that would assist in quieting them down,
The beds were quite hard and uncomfortable

The staff person didn't seem to care that we checked out a day early due the above circumstances and would not return our money for the evening that we did not stay.

In closing, we will never stay at MacRae's ever again and we will certainly never recommend it to anyone we know.

Regrads,
The Poulin's

Room Tip: We would recommend anywhere else over MacRae's
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Western Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Found it accidently and what a find.!! Motel was great, price was great and seeing the manatee's was even better. One of our top 3 in all of Florida. Bonfire at nite with everyone from everywhere was awesome. Noseeums were bad but easy to put up with in paradise. See Wendy at the motel for a great room or Capt. Beeler at the marina for a trip to see the manatee. Truly a hidden gem. Just a few hours over to the coast and worth the trip. Great for a family as the wildlife park is also close by and wonderful to visit.
Can't wait to return.!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Old Florida Charm....not the "Ritz"...but clean and wonderful location. My family had reunion and truly enjoyed the motel....enjoyed the views from the front porch rocker and the music from the "Hut"....service, food and closness to everything we needed. We rented a boat for the day and went up to the springs........great time! Couple of very affordable choices for dining...the restaurant near Mac Raes was very good...price and quality of food......best omlett I have ever had. Beds were a little old and not so comfie. The music from the Hut got a little loud toward the end of the evening......so bring ear plugs.......will go back. Room was clean and no bugs......(for Florida that's pretty good)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Phoenixville, Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Clean, comfortable, and reasonable; friendly service. Liked it so well we stayed an extra night. Lots of interesting things to do in the area; good things to eat all around. Take an airboat ride with Capt. Russ right from MacRaes' dock: he's friendly, and a wealth of knowledge. Eat breakfast at the Patriotic Place on the main road in: $2.22 for the breakfast special. Have a Cuban sandwich and Cuban coffee for lunch at Jim's print museum. The world's best and most reasonable shrimp and stone crab legs are at the Freezer, on the waterfront (cash only): ask for directions. Don't miss the Homosassa Spring manatee and wildlife preserve: it's fascinating and beautifully run. We're going back!

• Stayed December 2009
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Tough to get a room on the weekends during scallop season (July-early Sept) but the lull between September and October give any couple or small family a Florida Friendly on the water experience. Heavily used by fisherman, but also has a Harley following on the weekends at the bar THE SHED located on the water on the property. Run by owners Pamela and Gator MacRae and front desk staff Wendy, this quirky Florida get away certainly is better than "always the same" chain hotels. Fall and Winter this place is quiet during midweek and the coolest thing is you can rent a boat, a kayak, go on a boat tour, airboat ride, manatee watching experience all steps away from this fishing lodge/motel. This is just the kind of place that you look for, but can't find on the internet because it's a mom and pop hotel. It's a must do for those looking for something "just a little different" on your Florida vacation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to MacRae's of Homosassa? Share your experiences!