“Fun place, good food, but bad time to go” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Homosassa
Cuisines: Seafood
Inverness, FL
“Fun place, good food, but bad time to go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I took my "Seniors on the Move" clients to the "The Freezer" for lunch after a leisurely boat ride on the Homosassa River. I had eaten there a few times and enjoyed the food and ambiance. My clients had heard a lot about the place and were anxious to try it out. As they say, timing is everything. Unfortunately, it was not a good day to go there. The scallop season had just started and the place was very busy - packed with boaters, some of whom passed us on the way back to the dock.
Ordering of the meal is done at the bar. Since there was a long line, we had to wait for quite a while, Some of my elderly clients had a tough time with that since it is difficult for them to stand in place. Unfortunately, some menu items were not available, so ordering became difficult for those who had to settle on a different option.
I enjoyed my shrimp and coleslaw, and fortunately most of the clients were satisfied with their choices.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Northern California
“Our favorite meal in Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The best meals are ones that are unexpected and the entire experience comes together. This was one of those meals, We happened on this place by accident. We were driving by and smelled the smoke from their smoker and decided to stop. You go through the bar to the tiki area to place your order. We were lucky enough to score seats along the bench with a view over the marina. There are also tables down below on the grass by the marina. The food was great. Large helpings for a great price and $2 drafts. The blue crab was especially tasty, but everything we ordered was good. Their smoked mullet is a house specialty. We lingered for hours talking to the neighbors on either side. A memorable experience.

• Visited June 2013
Pennsylvania
“Same place as the freezer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A little tricky to find but.........it's wonderful. We had a week in Florida and this was one of our most memorable meals. Nothing fancy...just great food. Not a large menu.....but what is there is first class. Got to try the chowder and the shrimp. If you can't find it, ask for directions. It's well worth the search.

• Visited March 2013
Tennessee
“Casual Place for Simple But Excellent Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My friends and I ate here twice while vacationing. The menu is very limited, but what's on it was prepared very well, whether it was basic tavern food, like soft pretzels and wings, steamed shrimp, or stone crab claws. Very affordable, too.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food& value But smoke...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I like the steamed fresh seafood in this low key place. If I could be guaranteed a seat near the outside away from smoke, I'd go back regularly. However, the smokers linger as does the drift from the"butts" so I just can't make it back here. The no-frills charm of "the Freezer" does make this an experience in how casual Homosassa can be...