“Vintage gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Haleys Motel and Resort

Save Saved
You added Haleys Motel and Resort to your Saves list
Haleys Motel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   8102 Gulf Drive North, Holmes Beach, Anna Maria Island, FL 34217   |
Special Price
25% off any room
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Holmes Beach
Forest Hills, New York
“Vintage gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I've been really remiss in writing a review for this property, but better late than never! Stayed there for a week back in mid-May. Stayed there solo and was meeting up with friends in the Sarasota area. Chose to stay on Anna Maria Island, as I had been through there 12 years ago and remembered how lovely and low key it was -- lovely beaches, low-key, and no unsightly high rises there.

Haley's is in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood. Big bonus is that they provide beach umbrellas, chairs, and carts. Lovely one block walk to the beach. Can catch the free, island trolley just one block away. Or, if feeling adventurous, can walk into towns.

Was assigned room #8, which was lovely for one person and would also be nice for a romantic couple's stay. Nice and quiet. Easy access to pool. Pretty, updated room had everything you could want in a compact size -- mini fridge, kitchen sink, microwave. Good size closet. I enjoyed the vintage jalousie windows in the bedroom and bathroom -- it was nice to have a choice of using the a/c, ceiling fan, or getting the fresh air breeze from outside. Lovely tropical gardens outside, cutely decorated parking space area for each room, pretty and clean pool. If you explore and venture a bit through the property, will find a beautiful outdoor garden room and pretty, hidden garden.

Nice to stay at a family-operated "mom and pop" style motel. It's great to see that the owners want to preserve the architecture and history. At the same time, the motel has the modern upgrades.

I really love the vintage Florida architecture from the 1950s/1960s, etc. When I had visited the island 12 years ago, this was one thing that had attracted me to the northern Anna Maria area -- the pretty, low-key, one story ranch houses, in pastel shades. I was really saddened to see that a good number of these structures have been or are getting knocked down and replaced by more unsightly three-story structures. Thank goodness that there is a three story limit on building on this island. I read in a local newspaper that there is an Anna Maria preservation society that has been formed that is concerned about the loss of the one-story structures and also wants to preserve a feeling of "community". I wish them good luck with this.

I would definitely stay at Haley's again and wish the owners good luck with their lovely product!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Tom B, Owner at Haleys Motel and Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thanks for choosing us for your stay. It is great to have guests who enjoy and appreciated what we try to offer. Look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Frisco Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I highly recommend this motel. Our room was small, the wall mounted TV was too high, the bed was a bit mushy and the shower itty bitty... and you know what, it was perfect.

Anna Maria is one of my favorite places on the planet with its beautiful beaches and laid back atmosphere. I am not coming here to be pampered, if I was I would be down near St Armands Circle in one of the gated sprawling mega-resorts. I am in this neck of the woods for a laid back unpretentious beach oriented relaxing stay. The fridge in the room kept my beer chilly so when I walked the block back from the beach with my floaty noodles and towels in the complimentary cart, I was able to cool off in Island style.

I don't want this Island to be swallowed up by nondescript corporate cookie-cutter bland hotels. I'll take the rough around the edges stuff in this fun old style Florida motel (really a group of small houses connected by a boardwalk like common area and some lush gardens).

Haley's is full of nice little touches like assigned parking spots, a little pool to cool off in, lush hidden gardens, no smoking property and yeah.... like I mentioned, that amazing beach a short walk away. Location, location, location. This sounds funny but my Wife's favorite thing was that the room had none of that common beach musty smell. You could tell they keep it squeeky clean.

Don't expect perfect, just expect perfect for the island. If you don't know what I mean, you might be more comfortable with Tag and Buffy on the tennis courts in those Long Boat Key mega resorts.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms closer to the street, which on the weekends might be a little noisy during the...
Sebastian, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Haley's has been around since the 50's and has the quaintness and retro charm to prove it. Our room (#2) was small, but updated and very clean. The kitchenette was equipped with every thing we needed, but if we were missing anything, all we had to do was ask. It's not like we spent too much time there anyway. The wonderfully uncrowded beach was a short walk and Haley's provides chairs, umbrellas, towels and a cart to load it on. The location is on the more relaxed end of the island nearest Anna Maria and its Old Florida feel. The owners are some of the friendliest, most informative people you could ever hope to meet. I could go on. And on. Needless to say, we will be coming back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Great location, walking distance to the beach. Pet friendly. They provide a variety of beach supplies and have wheeled totes that make the trip a breeze. Bathroom in our efficiency was small, just a slight inconvenience. Place is loaded with old Florida charm.

Room Tip: Select one bedroom rather than efficiency.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were looking for a quiet 4 day getaway to Anna Maria Island, and part of that was looking to find a friendly, quiet, romantic place to stay. Haleys is the perfect spot for couples looking for a quaint room. The room was very clean, had a lot of little upgrades and had the feel of a bed and breakfast room without a large price tag.
The staff was friendly, and the property had a nice garden, and plenty of quiet seating areas to drink coffee, eat and just enjoy the peace and quiet. I will warn you this is not a place to take a large family, but if you are looking for a romantic getaway this is perfect. 200 yards from a private beach access. They supply you with beach chairs, umbrellas, beach towels. We live in Florida, but will be back anytime we want a little getaway. I could not say enough nice things about this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom B, Owner at Haleys Motel and Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks so much for choosing us. Couples like you make it a real pleasure for us.
Yellow Springs, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was nervous about this motel—I really wanted one right on the beach. But the experience exceeded our expectations. The beach is a short block walk and since it has a private pathway, the nearest stretch seems to be the least populated of the island! This part of the island was our favorite--not too dense, some old Florida atmosphere. Also, Haley’s offers carts, beach towels, umbrellas and various other things to use there. The room key even has a flashlight so you can walk back and forth in the evening (wonderful to go there for the sunset). Each room has an assigned parking space.

The owner and staff are all absolutely delightful: friendly, warm and helpful. They recommended restaurants (Feast was our favorite) and shops and when our shower knob was not working properly, they had a plumber in in less than an hour!

My son and I spent five nights in room 6, and I would have felt comfortable at the motel alone, too. I was worried that, since no. 6 is so close to the rooms facing it (don't expect a view), that we’d have noise. Again, it was not a problem: silence all night. The A/C is a bit noisy, but other than that, the suite was very nice. Clean, recently remodeled, functional and the kitchen had everything we needed: dishes, glasses, pots and pans, toaster, coffee maker and salt and pepper, coffee, brand new sponge and dishwashing liquid (note that the hot and cold are inverted in the kitchen sink). Yes, the bathroom is tiny, but with a nice, fully tiled shower (subway tiles) and great water pressure. I would have liked to see more 50s style in the room to go with the outside, but the remodel is lovely and there is a cool corner in glass bricks.

The small pool is a plus. There are lovely plants around the whole place and cute salamanders and lizards. The new outside shower with rain shower faucet and a separate foot shower allows you not to track in any sand into your room or the pool. The poolside bathroom is also clean and modern.

Overall, we were delighted with our stay at Haley’s Motel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed at Haley's for a night when our nearby home was rented and our plane was not until the next day. We were glad we did! This hotel is a reminder of old Florida, when it was more laid back. It is located about a two minute walk from a very nice section of the beach, and is nice and quiet. Our bungalow was comprised of two rooms; a living area with a kitchenette and a bedroom with bath off of it. The rooms are adequate size although our bathroom was somewhat cramped. The kitchen was fully equipped with pots and pans and a full size refrigerator. The entire unit was very clean. Most importantly, the furniture (including the bed) was comfortable. I slept very well, which is the most important thing in a hotel. All the things one needs at the beach were included: chairs, towels, umbrellas, and the wheelie cart to transport them all to the beach. While some may want to pay more and stay at a more upscale resort, I think that Haley's is a wonderful place. I recommend this hotel for couples with a child or just a weekend getaway. I will stay here again if I need a place for a night or two. I wish I could give this four and a half dots!

Room Tip: Try to reserve one of the duplex bungalows with the screened porch. Don't forget to go to break...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Haleys Motel and Resort? Share your experiences!