“Not terrible for the money. But beware of creepy crawlies.” 2 of 5 stars

The Waves Apartments & Resort
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   317 Oak Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #37 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
hollywood fl
“Not terrible for the money. But beware of creepy crawlies.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

So, great location right in between beach and intracoastal so you really cant be mad about the raccoons because there is also a nature preserve nearby. But the staffs attitude is not that great and dont expect fresh towels every few days or rooms to be tidied. This is not that type of hotel. The biggest issue though is that the hotel is old and worn so the windows are creeky and the doors dont fit, allowing roaches, lizards and whatever else into your room. Im a SOFLO native so I know lizards are everywhere, but the roaches and ants are a no go. They need to fix that. Besides all the bugs and creatures, this place isnt a horrible deal for the money.

Room Tip: 2nd floor had a family of raccoons all over it at night. So I would go with 1st floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fort Collins, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This "hotel" can't be rated to more then 1 - 1.5 stars. Arrived late, just before 11pm and nobody there. Called all phone numbers and no answer! Called booking.com and they tryed to help, but no luck!. Finaly, after about 45 min somebody come and let me in. Poor comfort room. Overpriced. used towels, stained sheets, defective coffeemaker.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed 7 weeks. 2 minutes from an almost private beach. Very clean but old apartment. Don't forget it is a 3 stars. Unfortunately no phone in the apartment. Had to buy a cell phone. Rarely somebody at the reception. Communicating by internet was easier. Nice backyard with BBQ

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011 via mobile

The Waves is just like on the pictures! It was quiet and a comfortable place. We often walked to the beach. I'm definitely staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011
New York state
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Booked this for 2 nights post cruise before an early Monday morning flight out of West Palm Beach airport. Paid one night via credit card when reservation was made a few weeks before. Arrived mid afternoon on a Saturday and checked in. Went to room to look around before taking luggage in. Second floor, no elevator, door opened onto outside walkway. One large room with frig, sink, bed, small table.Furniture had definitely seen better days, mattress thin and lumpy, deadbolt on door looked as if it had been recently repaired and a good strong pull would have pulled the door open without a problem, TV was probably a 13", no phone, no battery in smoke alarm above bed and the other smoke alarm was painted over with ceiling paint. Within 10 minutes, I was back at the desk, explaining my dissatisfaction and initial observations and asking for my money back as we were not satisfied with what we saw. Told "David" I was not satisifed I would be safe. David explained that he could not return my money as that was not the policy and my concern about safety was not enough for him to consider returning my money. I remarked that I would then forfeit tonight's fee and asked that the second night be reimbursed (I just paid this immediately prior to going up to see the room for the first time). David told me that I could not have any refund of either night. After I discussed with my husband, we reluctantly moved into the room. As I pulled down the bedspread, I noticed the brown stains. Both pillows had terrible stains on them and my husband pointed out mold on the wall near the head of the bed.The vertical blinds were missing 2 slats allowing someone to stand outside the window and look directly into the room. There were no curtains. My husband asked for the blind to be fixed and for new pillows. The maid came to the room and couldn't fix the blind, so she laid the vertical slats against the window. She did not have other pillows to give us, but gave us an extra 2 pillowcases. David then knocked on our door and said "this is not working out for us, so I am going to ask you to leave in the morning." My husband said that is what we had wanted to do in the first place, but he refused to refund any of our money. I asked if we would receive a refund for the 2nd night and he said he would give it to us in the morning. My husband once again asked about batteries for the smoke alarms and David replied that the one painted over would work if my husband pressed the button. My husband again climbed on a chair and pressed the button and tried to get the alarm to work to no avail. He couldn't even open it to see if they were batteries inside. In the morning, we noticed small bugs coming out of a hole in the wall in the bathroom. There was a thin, wooden adjoining door to another room/apartment. We could plainly hear talking and people washing dishes. Slept with one eye open and I was up early, packed, ready to go. Went to check out and sign on door said open at 9:30am. While we waitied for someone to show up, I talked to 2 ladies who were staying there for several months. They shared their dissatisfaction with several things, such as no stove to cook as they were told and once they got there, price was more than they were told on phone. Since they had paid a great deal in deposit and were told they wouldn't get it back, they felt they had to stay. At 9:40am, no one had shown up at the office, so we started calling the emergency numbers on the door and again no one answered. About 9:50am, David came out of a room across the yard, unlocked the office and gave us a one night refund.

Room Tip: Do not pay until you see the room first.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011 via mobile

Cannot beat this location for a truly relaxing getaway. Spent a week here in March during what is Spring Break for a lot of folks, but never got distracted by noise or traffic and never had to fight for a spot on the sand. Beach is less than a block away and two good dockside restaurants are within walking distance. The Broadwalk and Hollywood Theatre are a quick drive (4.5 miles) south if you want a break from all the peace and quiet.

Our room was simple but clean and the manager was very accommodating - even provided us with an electric burner for our non-efficiency room and brand-new set of pots and pans. This allowed us to shop at one of the billion nearby (short driving distance) Publix markets and save a ton of money by cooking meals. They also allowed us a very late check-out due to our evening flight. Thank you Nichelle!

Heads-up that this place is pet-friendly and several of our neighbors had furry friends with them. Also there is no tub in the bathroom (shower only) and there was no daily housekeeping service, but this worked for us.

• Stayed March 2011
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Good place to stay. Near beach. Clean, safe, friendly staff. Comfortable basic accomodations. Pleasant surroundings. Would return for another visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Waves Apartments & Resort? Share your experiences!