“We loved it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Waves Apartments & Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hollywood
The Waves Apartments & Resort
You added The Waves Apartments & Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   317 Oak Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #42 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
Quebec City, Canada
“We loved it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Stayed 7 weeks. 2 minutes from an almost private beach. Very clean but old apartment. Don't forget it is a 3 stars. Unfortunately no phone in the apartment. Had to buy a cell phone. Rarely somebody at the reception. Communicating by internet was easier. Nice backyard with BBQ

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011 via mobile

The Waves is just like on the pictures! It was quiet and a comfortable place. We often walked to the beach. I'm definitely staying here again.

• Stayed March 2011
New York state
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Booked this for 2 nights post cruise before an early Monday morning flight out of West Palm Beach airport. Paid one night via credit card when reservation was made a few weeks before. Arrived mid afternoon on a Saturday and checked in. Went to room to look around before taking luggage in. Second floor, no elevator, door opened onto outside walkway. One large room with frig, sink, bed, small table.Furniture had definitely seen better days, mattress thin and lumpy, deadbolt on door looked as if it had been recently repaired and a good strong pull would have pulled the door open without a problem, TV was probably a 13", no phone, no battery in smoke alarm above bed and the other smoke alarm was painted over with ceiling paint. Within 10 minutes, I was back at the desk, explaining my dissatisfaction and initial observations and asking for my money back as we were not satisfied with what we saw. Told "David" I was not satisifed I would be safe. David explained that he could not return my money as that was not the policy and my concern about safety was not enough for him to consider returning my money. I remarked that I would then forfeit tonight's fee and asked that the second night be reimbursed (I just paid this immediately prior to going up to see the room for the first time). David told me that I could not have any refund of either night. After I discussed with my husband, we reluctantly moved into the room. As I pulled down the bedspread, I noticed the brown stains. Both pillows had terrible stains on them and my husband pointed out mold on the wall near the head of the bed.The vertical blinds were missing 2 slats allowing someone to stand outside the window and look directly into the room. There were no curtains. My husband asked for the blind to be fixed and for new pillows. The maid came to the room and couldn't fix the blind, so she laid the vertical slats against the window. She did not have other pillows to give us, but gave us an extra 2 pillowcases. David then knocked on our door and said "this is not working out for us, so I am going to ask you to leave in the morning." My husband said that is what we had wanted to do in the first place, but he refused to refund any of our money. I asked if we would receive a refund for the 2nd night and he said he would give it to us in the morning. My husband once again asked about batteries for the smoke alarms and David replied that the one painted over would work if my husband pressed the button. My husband again climbed on a chair and pressed the button and tried to get the alarm to work to no avail. He couldn't even open it to see if they were batteries inside. In the morning, we noticed small bugs coming out of a hole in the wall in the bathroom. There was a thin, wooden adjoining door to another room/apartment. We could plainly hear talking and people washing dishes. Slept with one eye open and I was up early, packed, ready to go. Went to check out and sign on door said open at 9:30am. While we waitied for someone to show up, I talked to 2 ladies who were staying there for several months. They shared their dissatisfaction with several things, such as no stove to cook as they were told and once they got there, price was more than they were told on phone. Since they had paid a great deal in deposit and were told they wouldn't get it back, they felt they had to stay. At 9:40am, no one had shown up at the office, so we started calling the emergency numbers on the door and again no one answered. About 9:50am, David came out of a room across the yard, unlocked the office and gave us a one night refund.

Room Tip: Do not pay until you see the room first.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011 via mobile

Cannot beat this location for a truly relaxing getaway. Spent a week here in March during what is Spring Break for a lot of folks, but never got distracted by noise or traffic and never had to fight for a spot on the sand. Beach is less than a block away and two good dockside restaurants are within walking distance. The Broadwalk and Hollywood Theatre are a quick drive (4.5 miles) south if you want a break from all the peace and quiet.

Our room was simple but clean and the manager was very accommodating - even provided us with an electric burner for our non-efficiency room and brand-new set of pots and pans. This allowed us to shop at one of the billion nearby (short driving distance) Publix markets and save a ton of money by cooking meals. They also allowed us a very late check-out due to our evening flight. Thank you Nichelle!

Heads-up that this place is pet-friendly and several of our neighbors had furry friends with them. Also there is no tub in the bathroom (shower only) and there was no daily housekeeping service, but this worked for us.

• Stayed March 2011
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Good place to stay. Near beach. Clean, safe, friendly staff. Comfortable basic accomodations. Pleasant surroundings. Would return for another visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Allentown, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Very nice location steps from a beautiful beach!
The location was the only saving grace for us - we only spent one night on our way to the airport from a trip to the Keys. If we had to stay any longer we would have switched hotels. The towels, washcloths, sheets and blankets had old stains on them - "clean" but stained. Since we arrived after 6:00pm, there was no one in the office to even ask for anything.
Other reviews touted how nice the staff was, but when we went to check out at 9:00am, the office was still locked - sign said it opened at 8:30am. That's why I rated service pretty low.
Certainly an adequate place to stay if a quiet location is of prime importance, but you don't care much about a room that has a clean APPEARANCE. I don't think the place was actually dirty, but the stains on the fabrics in the room and on the walls around the baseboard, etc., made the place LOOK not very clean.
Price was good for the location - just don't have expectations of a nice looking room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

The Waves is perfect if you are just looking for a comfortable place to stay for a few days of fun on the beach, surf fishing or fishing in the Intracoastal Waterway, or on the Dania Beach Pier (1 mile north), and the bicycling in both Hollywood and Dania Beach is fantastic, not to mention the bike path right along the beach and then on the boardwalk with all its cafes a few blocks south of The Waves (but careful cycling on the boardwalk when the sun is out, it gets crowded ;). Hollywood and Dania Beach are the most bicycling friendly cities I have ever ridden in - I traveled by bicycle and train from Miami, took the TriRail to Hollywood, and then biked to The Waves - no hassle at all! There are actual bicycle lanes, wowwww!!

So there's nothing fancy about the place - if you require that sort of thing - but it's very peaceful and quiet at the north end of Hollywood Beach, beach is literally just steps away, less than half a block, and it's uncrowded and a friendly, family-oriented crowd, nobody bothers you (nothing like the crowded, hassle-to-get-to meat market beaches of Miami .. sorry, Miami ;) .. and I felt totally safe here, important to me being a female traveling alone. Intracoastal Waterway is about a block from the motel across Ocean Dr., and there's a nice long free pier (hidden from the road behind the trees, I just happened upon it looking for a place to fish from shore) about a block down Ocean Dr. to the south, great for fishing!! I stayed in one of the efficiency apartments, and just loved having the full kitchen, especially after paying for an expensive so-soggy-it-was-nearly-dripping-wet pizza from Flicker Lite the first night; I grocery shopped at the Publix (a mile or so away) the next day and was able to cook and have meals in my room after that. The staff is great - Hector is very friendly, polite, and helpful. Now, maid service is not going to come in and clean your room every day, unless you want them to - but they are there to provide you with whatever you need, and, personally, I prefer it that way, like my own little home away from home. Initially had 5 nights booked, but was so happy with the place that I booked another 4 nights, and I will be back!! Thank you, Hector!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Waves Apartments & Resort? Share your experiences!