“Much better than expected!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #22 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
PA
“Much better than expected!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I have to say, too often people only write reviews when they did not like a place that they stayed. I wanted to take the time to write this because we were very happy with this hotel and would like to let everyone know! We had just come off of an exhausting and dissapointing cruise and needed a place to stay for our last night. We choose this hotel due to its location to the airport and the free shuttle they provide. The friendly staff allowed us to check in early and even allowed us to have some of the breakfast that the guests had from the night before. When we got to our room we were amazed! Nicely updated and very big! Two queen beds that were VERY comfortable. The room was clean and the temperature was comfortable. We rested for a bit then headed out to the very nice heated pool and hot tub. We spent hours in there! The staff made sure that we had a shuttle at 6am the next morning and even called the room at 5:45 am to make sure we were up eventhough we did not request a wake up call. The location is not really close to anything if you do not have a car but we did walk to the Denny's across the street. If you need a few nights near the airport, this is your place!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
fla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

i stay at holiday inn over 90 days a yr i have stayed here at least 10 nights or more in the last 3 months the staff has always been professional and accommodating.The rooms are always clean and ready when i check in.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I have been staying every week for business since August 2009. This is absolutely one of the nicest and considerate Holiday Inns I have ever stayed in. Very professional staff that know you by name and appreciate your business. It is very convenient to the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport, Port Lauderdale and it is a safe place to stay. The rates are competitive. The beds are out of this world and the hospitality in the lounge for relaxation and food are outstanding. I have called this place home for 4 months! You will not go wrong for one or two nights at this place. I love it!

Charlie

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

I'm literally shocked how a business could have such bad service and stay in business. I travel a lot and have had a few bad experiences, but nothing like this.

My wife, mother & aunt (both age 78) and I were going on a cruise. Trying to create a pleasant experience for my mother (her first cruise), I opted for the $296 a night "cruise package" that included a shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel, cocktails upon arrival, free breakfast and a shuttle ride to the ship. It was a little pricey for a Holiday Inn, but the convenience seemed to make it worth it.

I'm a fair person, but this was a huge mistake. It was, by a far margin, the worst service I've ever received.

When our flight arrived and we retrieved our baggage (about 10:30pm), we called the hotel. They said the shuttle would be about 10 minutes, so we hurried to the stop to make it. There were about four people already waiting (about 15 minutes, they said). Thirty minutes later, we called the hotel and they told us it would be about 10 minutes. When I spoke to a woman by the name of Yuisa, I told her I had two elderly ladies that have been waiting a half an hour, they firmly said (some would say rudely), "Sir, I TOLD YOU, it would be 10 minute." I also told her that it's been a long trip, and we're really looking forward to the cocktails. She told me the bar closes at 11pm, so your not going to get those. When I told her that I would like her to deduct the amount from my bill, she hung up on me.

Twenty five minutes later, the courtesy shuttle came. By now, there were eight people (not counting the driver) jammed into this little van. The driver was very nice (I sat up front with him since there was the back was crammed full). He told me that he was never dispatched for our terminal--he just happened to see the crowd and decided it might be a good idea to stop. In other words, Yuisa never told them we were waiting. When I told him that their management may want to reevaluate how they dispatch their shuttles, he laughed and said this happens all the time. The management doesn't care. He said the bad part about it is they take it out on the drivers--which is why I'm writing this. The driver was very nice and courteous.

We reached the hotel close to midnight. Upon check-in, the clerk told us that Yuisa had cancelled my room (the room for my aunt and mother was not cancelled). Fortunately, I had printed my confirmations and showed the rooms were prepaid. The clerk, a very nice man named Danny, found us a room. He even came up to the room to return something I left at the counter. Later, about 1am, I went down down to the front desk and was stunned to see one of the passengers of the shuttle I came in on still trying to work out his arrangements. Obviously, someone screwed up his reservation, as well.

The breakfast buffet was simply awful. The sausage and potatoes were ineatable. The meat was, most likely, spoiled and the potatoes were still frozen in the middle. The scrambled eggs were good, though, so I only ate that. My wife took her meal back and had a bowl of cheerios instead. When we asked if they had orange juice, they said it was extra.

They had a small carafe of coffee on the table which gave us one small cup each. When we asked nicely for some more coffee, the waitress rudely said "whos bill do I put this on?". I told her we have the cruise package that comes with breakfast. She told me, very rudely, it didn't cover extra coffee. That's the last we saw of her.

Since I set up the hotel arrangements, I apologized to those with me. Big mistake. The extra we paid for the "Cruise Package" gave us a shuttle that they don't charge for anyways (and takes an hour), drinks we never got because the shuttle was late, a breakfast they charge extra for orange juice and more than one cup of coffee and with food that you wouldn't risk eating. The shuttle to the ship is also normally free even without the "Cruise Package".

The room was nice, but for $290 I've had much better. It was hard finding an outlet that worked. I found one, finally, that I could hook up my either my computer, or cell phone, or the coffee maker they had in the room (only one at a time) and even that I had to reset the GFCI before it would work.

Overall, a very awful experience. A big, BIG mistake.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
HHIHSKP, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
We are very sorry to hear about your recent stay here at our hotel. We try our very best to make sure all of our guests have an enjoyable stay. Please contact me as soon as possible at 954-925-9100 ext. 134, we want to talk to you and correct the issues that you encountered on your recent stay. We are very sorry that this happened and I look forward to hearing from you.

Walter Lowenberg, Assistant General Manager
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Stayed there while on business in Ft Lauderdale 1/5/10. Name says "airport" but its a $20 cab ride from the FLL airport. Near the airport is more accurate. First room they gave me was a double bed with a horrible smoking smell. The front desk immediately changed me to a true non-smoking room with a king bed. Bed was very comfortable - not a box spring, but some newer, contour forming material - very comfortable. The hotel is near a train line, so if you are on the west side of the hotel, you will hear the train. I stayed on the west side and don't remember a train after 9pm or so, but then again I am a heavy sleeper. Does not offer a free breakfast, just coffee. Bathroom had a walk-in shower vs a tub with a curtain - really like this about this hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

This hotel is really popular with people going on cruises. Unfortunately, it is one of the worst hotels for that purpose.

First of all, if you don't have a car, the only things within 1 mile walk (1-way) are a gas station, a Denny's, and the hotel restaurant. If you're going on a cruise and planning on not renting a car BEWARE- you will either have to cough up $10 each way for a taxi, or eat at the hotel restaurant or Denny's.

We found the hotel restaurant to be overpriced and had poor service. More on that below.

The hotel is beautiful, well, kept, and has a great pool area that was open and maintained even in January. The pool is the best I've ever seen in a hotel under $200/night.

The staff were friendly, tried to find solutions to problems, and not lazy. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough staff. This hotel was 100% booked for our 2 different stays (before and after our cruise), and there were clearly not enough staff both times. It was not uncommon to see a line of 5-6 people at the front desk waiting for 20 minutes or more, and only 1 front desk clerk. The majority of the time I saw the same clerk working the front desk (I feel really bad for her). The manager occasionally made an appearance but never helped people checkin or checkout.
We experienced similar wait times at the hotel restaurant. 1 poor waitress/bartender tried hard to work 15 tables at the same time, but she just couldn't provide decent service by herself.

AC/heater unit in our room was not working on our second stay. Outside temperature was about 45F day, 36F at night, so this was a serious problem. This is florida so the bedspread in our room was very thin. The lobby/restaurant area was about 50F during the day. I assume the heater there was broken also.

I got the impression that the hotel is 100% booked fairly often. It was very irritating to me that they don't hire more people to staff the front desk and restaurant. I have to question where all the money is going. This is one of the more expensive hotels that I have stayed at recently (taking into account neighborhood and service).

Because of the poor neighboorhood (only 2 restaurant choices), understaffing, and dubious value, I can't recommend this hotel, and would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
upstate new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Location was perfect with free shuttle to catch flight early the next morning. Room was clean - bed was very comfortable. Couldn't ask for anything more.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport? Share your experiences!