“A pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Atlanta, Georgia
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed here post-cruise for one night with my SO and a friend. The main reason I chose this hotel was for the free shuttle service from the port. As chaotic as it was at the port upon return to Ft. Lauderdale, we had no problem getting the shuttle to pick us up promptly. The shuttle also took us to the airport the next morning at 6:30 with no problems. The hotel is next to Denny's and a Shell gas station with a grocery inside. The hotel staff was excellent and incredibly nice. The business center had free internet and a working printer so we could print our boarding passes for the plane. The hotel was super clean, pretty, and a pleasant surprise to us. Our room (2 double beds) was big and the bathroom was huge. The room had a hidden mini fridge and a sweet plasma TV on the wall with cable. The only gripe we had was the water pressure of the shower was poor. But other than that, it was a wonderful experience and we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was forced to stay here for 2 nights after my flight was cancelled.
the good: lovely pool, especially for children, wifi and LAN access, pretty rooms and comfy beds as well as a pretty lobby. basic exercise room.
the bad: the restaurant. in terms of food (limited selection of americana) the quality was all right but SO overpriced. 8 dollars for a cup of soup and it´s the only soup on the menu. no continental breakfast and breakfast selections were ok. overpriced of course as the basic holiday inn menu. if you don´t have a laptop and wanna use the computers here, not a good choice! there are two and they are unreliable and FULL of spyware everywhere.

location is also poor. stuck here sans car? you´ll pay 10 dollars to get to a strip mall, 20 to get to a beach 1 way. only thigns in walking distance are tri'rail stop, dennys, and gas station.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for one night after a cruise and prior to heading home.

We and many other people also getting off ships, arrived a lot earlier than expected. Reception was overwhelmed with people trying to get their rooms. As a result, the lobby area looked like a convention and got worse when departing guests showed up in the lobby to get on their cruises!

The manager came out and said to make ourselves comfortable and they would call out names when our rooms were ready. We were one of the first parties to arrive and got our room at noon.

The hotel has an excellent pool area so we camped out here and spent the last day of our vacation enjoying the warm weather. There is a restaurant here but we didn't try it. We took a cab to the beach area and ate there instead.

The major drawback is that the hotel isn't near much. There is shopping area within walking distance but you'll need to cross a major road to get there.

We took the airport shuttle to following day and that was fine. The driver was excellent and helpful.

This place is fine if you are in transit and need a bed for the night but not the place to spend a week at.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Where to start? Called for shuttle and desk person couldn't accurately tell us where to go to wait for van. Watched it pass us by even though she took my clothing description. Had to take cab which cost $30 because desk person told us an exit to use that was not the shortest distance for the 4 miles we were told was the distance. Bell man watched us lug our baggage into hotel but was quick to push the button for the elevator. We hope he didn't hurt himself. Superficially appointed rooms. Nice granite counter in bathroom with no bath mat or ventilation fan. Shower door opens into bathroom door where the towel hook is so you have to get out of the shower to get the towel soaking the floor because...they don't provide a bath mat. Cheap plastic coffee maker with disposable one cup per filters so we had to take turns making a cup of coffee secure in the knowledge we were contributing to Florida's landfill. We usually are not overly critical but this place was the most well appointed dump we have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
HHIHSKP, Assistant Manager at Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Dear Irn4a440,

We have seen your comments on Trip Advisor concerning your stay. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the service issues you encountered. Please call 954-925-9100 or email hhihskp@princebush.com. It is our genuine aspiration that all of our guest enjoy their stay with us.

Walter
Assistant Mananger
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

We arrived around midnight after a lengthy flight, and were relieved to have the reservations processed so very quickly, No hassles! On our return trip we had planned to spend the day beside the pool and were a little disappointed to find them setting it up for a wedding reception. They were pleasant and allowed us to swim during the time they were working. UNFORTUNATELY!
*I have to add this-although the online photos of this pool do it justice, when actually in the pool we could clearly see how filthy...not just dirty, but gross the pool was. Huge patches of green algae all over the sides , especially by the fountain! Yuck! We made a quick exit. *Also important to note that this is not within walking distance to much!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I was a volunteer bump on a 4/20/09 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale & rec'd a voucher for this hotel. Registration was efficient & I reserved a spot on the first shuttle to the airport the next morning & the receptionist recorded my name & room number in the shuttle schedule. The room was large, spotless and beautifully appointed (appears to have been recently remodeled). Everything was perfect until the next morning when I went to the lobby to check out and catch the shuttle van. I arrived in the lobby at least five minutes early (according to the clock in the guest room). The male night reception manager (shirt hanging outside of his slacks, hair dishelved) was in the process of providing instructions to a female morning receptionist while I stood in front of them. I finally stated that I needed to check out as I wascatching the first hotel shuttle to the airport. The female morning receptionist immediately checked me out and the male night receptionist advised me that the shuttle had already left and I'd have to wait & catch the next one. I couldn't believe the shuttle left without me as I had made the reservation the day before. It appears the hotel needs to syncronize their lobby clock to the guest room clocks. As I sat down in the lobby to wait for the next shuttle the hotel security guard approached me as he had evidently overheard my conversation with male night manager/receptionist. The security guard told me he could take me over to the shuttle in his security golf cart as the shuttle had only gone across the street to another hotel. Within a couple of minutes the security guard wisked me across the street where not one but two hotel shuttles were still loading hotel guests. I never caught the security guard's name but he certainly saved the day going above and beyond the call of duty providing "knock your socks off customer service". The hotel security guard certainly understands the value of customer service and could provide lessons in professionalism and customer service to the night manager/receptionist.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

Our overnight stay was February 21, 2009 and we loved it just as much we did last year. The place is very clean and provides a feeling of tranquility. The hotel bar has a beautiful fish tank and the swimming pool, with a waterfall, provides elegant background for dining, especially for breakfast. When we arrived for dinner, we had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated because there was a large group in the restaurant. While waiting, a gentleman approached us and vehemently complained about the food and the management, how the food was very bad, that he didn't get served for 2 hours, and that the management was unresponsive. He highly recommended nearby Denny's because he didn't want to be kept captive by Holiday Inn. Because of our prior very positive experience we decided to stay, since we were on vacation and were in no hurry. Our food was exceptionally good and the staff very friendly. We also greatly enjoyed the table lamps that kept changing colors. The manager himself made my drink and made our dinner very enjoyable. If you come here in a very large group and need all the food served all at once, it might be a problem. However, since this is a gourmet restaurant with fine dining, a short wait for a very fine dinner is well worth the time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport? Share your experiences!