“Great hotel - location, location, location...” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2501 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Ithaca, Mi
“Great hotel - location, location, location...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

Taxi fees from Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport were $25. On the return trip we used a shuttle van that was available outside of the main lobby (not run by the hotel). The cost was $20 total for up to four people.

Lobby staff allowed us into our room several hours in advance of check-in time. The hotel only seemed about ¼ full at the time, so that was nice; no waiting for elevators, seating at breakfast, no overcrowding at the pool, etc. The following day, I overheard a guest complaining because they couldn’t get into their room early, but I don’t know the reason why. The hotel is very accommodating in offering to store luggage both before check-in and after check-out.

Our room was very comfortable, although I was disappointed that our housekeeper put sheets on the bed that were too small and had a rip. When I asked on the second day, the front desk staff had housekeeping promptly replace them. In the room, I was slightly put off by the bathroom and shower doors – they afford minimal privacy, but one’s comfort level will depend on who is staying in the room.

We stayed using the Fun in the Sun rate, which offered breakfast for two and free parking, although we didn’t rent a car. We will rent one next time, in order to see more of the area without paying the high taxi fees. The breakfast buffet at $14 offered something for everyone, from made to order omelets, eggs benedict, and oatmeal to fresh pineapple, melon, salmon, apple sausage, waffles, etc. The young woman/sous chef making omelets was very friendly; Marriott is lucky to have her.

The Business Center offers two computers – one with internet use and the other strictly for checking in for flights, which is nice. The internet at the Business Center is quite slow, a good reason not to stay long on a computer while on vacation.

Before arriving, I had read that the Hollywood Shuttle charges $1 a day and makes repeated trips between the Broadwalk and Hollywood each day. What I learned upon arrival is that the shuttle doesn’t start up until “busy season” which begins in December or January, depending on who you ask. Hollywood is too far to walk to if you don’t have a car. The first half hour walk will take you about ¾ of the way – a nice scenic tour, but not in the midday 90 degree heat - lesson learned. Turn around and enjoy the beach!

The hotel pool was nice and refreshing, and the whirlpool was only slightly warmer than the pool. Towels are checked out, but the check-out person wasn’t always available. He seemed to disappear at times, and left people waiting for towels or waiting to return them. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of a vacation; more of a nuisance than anything.

The Broadwalk was very clean, but the beach wasn’t as fortunate. Although it’s raked in the mornings, guests of the sand aren’t careful about what they leave behind.

This is a great place to people watch and to spend a leisurely day, week, or longer. South of the hotel on the Broadwalk are several reasonable priced restaurants all within a 15 – 20 minute leisurely walk. The Broadwalk offers a laid back atmosphere; don’t expect a hopping night-life. This is the place to be if you want to be relaxing by the pool, walking the ocean shore with shoes on (watching for jellyfish), sipping a cool drink, or simply facing the endless ocean with a good book at your side.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
skor65
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

This hotel is nothing to look at, a converted Howard Johnson's. That is what it looks and feels like. The Ugly green1960s exterior should have been our first clue. they may Have updated the rooms, but they still have tons of issues. The paint on the ceiling is iuf t not have even written a reviewpeeling,the balcony door is ridiculously difficult to open. There was bird crap on the chairs on our balcony that was never cleaned off. The balcony itself is a joke, so is the ocean view. The bathroom had a light out and I saw bug crawling on the tub. I might not have even written a review if not for the awful service. I waited at the pool bar for a drink for over 20 minutes. Every man or chick with big boobs got service before I did. Seriously every single person that came up after me was served. Stay away from this hole. Stay at the HardRock instead.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Gifter01
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

This was a great hotel. From the outside, it looks a little older. But the inside of the hotel and rooms look newly renovated. The rooms were very modern and luxurious. The staff was also very helpful and attenditve

The hotel restaurant was very good. We got a Fun in the Sun Rate which included breakfast and parking at the hotel. I would certainly recommend this rate.

The hotel was right on the broadwalk, providing easy access to the beach and broadwalk shops.

• Stayed September 2009
vstrick84
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Everything was wonderful. My only complaint is the hot tub was a bit dirty and was never hot. Other than that, it was marvelous!

The rooms have a more modern, clean feel to them. I like that it is a non-smoking hotel so you don't have that musky smell in the rooms. My husband and I had to share a double bed, but that was not the hotel's fault. Besides that, I thought the beds were very comfy.

The concierge lounge had really yummy food for breakfast and dinner on the weekdays. The breakfast buffet downstairs was really good too.

The pool was not very big, but we didn't come to the beach to hang out at the pool. We can do that at home.

We had fun at the hotel bar watching the live bands they had every night. Since the drinks were so expensive at the hotel bar, we would pack a styrofoam cooler with beer and just bring it down with us. Nobody seemed to mind.

So...yeah. We had a great trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

My husband, myself, our two teenage daughters and my parents stayed at the Hollywood Beach Marriott for four nights (10th -14th August) before flying to Cancun.

Firstly the value of this hotel is brilliant, especially compared with the very poor offerings of the motels around there, we had a deal with room, breakfast for two each room and free parking in the next door multi storey car park for less than what the local motels were charging.

Staff are lovely at this hotel, with one exception of a surly receptionist on our day of departure, probably because it was fairly early (7.15am), due to us catching our flight. Every member of staff from the housekeeping down to the pool guy who handed out towels and moved sunbeds for people were really lovely and helpful.

We loved everything about this hotel, location, staff, rooms, food, service - everything apart from the swimming pool which could have been cleaner. The pool had a permanent film on it and loads of long loose hair and other numerous objects floating around it's filter edges. The pool is salty, but it is not a salt water pool, we found out from the staff that they use salt cleaner to clean the pool - obviously not doing a very good job.

Have never stayed at a Marriott before, but after this trip we will definately use Marriott's again, the rooms were large and very clean, beds very comfortable, plenty of storage space and loved the complimentary toiletries - the best I have ever had in a hotel. The only complaint I have with the bathroom, which is echoed in previous reviews, is the glass door. If it was just myself and my husband it would not have been a problem, but we have two teenage daughters, who quite rightly did not want their dad to see them when washing or using the toilet - other than that lovely bathroom.

The Location is great, right on the Broadwalk in front of the ocean/beach, within walking distance of bars, restaurants and the outdoor theatre where bands perform live.

Restaurant in hotel is good, food very nice but very expensive, OK for one night or a special evening. The bar is outside next to the pool and they serve food during the day at the bar and the surrounding tables, plus you can eat there in the evening too - a very nice setting.

We ate a bit further down the Broadwalk (turn right on Broadwalk) in a lovely Italian Pizzeria (Florio's), great Pizzas and my Veal in Marsella sauce was gorgeous and not too big as with most American restaurants. Big enough to fill me up but not too big to put me off. A very friendly restuarant and good value for money, the only downside is that there is no Air Conditioning, only ceiling fans which don't do much in the August heat, plus if you sit outside you get bitten alive by the mosquitoes. It seems all of the bars and restaurants down the Broadwalk do not have air conditioning, which is a shame as there seems to be some very nice choices of food down there.

So to summarise, Love the Marriott, Liked the Broadwalk, but prefer Lauderdale-By-Sea for a Miami stopover.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
bbill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

The first night we arrived, the rooms were smelly and the aircondiioning was rattling. When I asked to switch rooms due to lack of slee[ from the sound, I was put in another room a day later, overcharged for an upgrade and told to go elsewhere. The managment completley disregarded a hotel guest and that is unnacceptable . The breakfast buffet was nothing great. Your regualr omelet, pancakes,toast...I was expecting something better from the Marriott. The staff were too busy doing I don't know what and there was no managment to be found. The pool rinky dink and the music was obnoxious. I was really disappointed in the lack of care that was shown from the bar staff to managment.

• Stayed September 2009
marriottbeachfront, Director at Marriott Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts, with so many positive reviews, this comes to a surprise to me, but it helps us to improve our services, time and time again. Our hotel strives to be the best in the area, but I welcome you back to try us again, as we want ALL of our guests to return to us.
Albany,NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have ve stayed in MANY Marriott hotels in my lifetime in different parts of the world. This one is a shame. We were lured by great reviews, free parking, breakfast promotion offer and walking distance to the ocean...so we booked (30 days prior vacation dates) a room with KING size bed for 5 nights at this Marriott Hollywood Beach hotel. Upon arrival there were NO king size beds available. SURPRISE for a couple who planned to spent romantic time - we got full size beds room with no explanation or apologies.The air-conditioning was probably designed in mid 50s and that thing was LOUD. We woke up each time that monster turned in or off.
The overall cleanliness of the hotel is terrible. The glass door that leads from the main lobby to the beach entrance has more germs and stains than you can ever imagine. The pool is small and DIRTY with human hair floating.
The hotel staff DOES NEED A TRAINING PROGRAM as to how to treat customers. These people have attitude, God knows why.Our last vacation was in Hawaii and it was a pleasure.
I'm wondering if this hotel has the right to be called Marriott at all...if it is, then something really bad is going on with this brand. Folks from corporate governance at Marriott, check this venue up. You will be unpleasantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!