“Great location, good price” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2501 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

Was in the area for business and decided to stay at hotel on the beach. Pleasantly surprised. The hotel is older (was a HoJo I believe) but is now Marriott.
Room was comfortable, king bed...good size. Hotel had restaurant on beach side, food was good and reasonable. Walk out directly to the beach across the boardwalk. Pool available
Free internet and parking (self) 13$ ..but while I was there they had a special, two free hot breakfasts and parking ..so even though I booked much earlier they gave me the special without any fuss....was impressed with the service attitude.

Recommend this hotel even for business travellers who have to work around the area (we had to go from Aventura to Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale/Dania etc) ...pretty central and easy access.

• Liked — Location on the beach..not surrounded by dozens of other large hotels
  • Disliked — Smoking in the beach side bar area.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

I booked three rooms in this hotel a couple of months ago to celebrate my moms 80th! We had guests from out of town & they all loved it. We arrived at 2pm for early check in & we just waited a few minutes, all the rooms in the same floor, as previously requested. The staff was very helpful & friendly. The pool area gets crowded in the morning thru early afternoon but after that there is plenty of space. Since we were a large group, we rented a couple of cabanas on the beach & it was perfect. The restaurant has a wonderful breakfast buffet as well as room service. The regular menu is also very good, I had their fish & chips & also a burger. I did not find the food expensive. The bar gets busy during happy hour & there is always people having drinks or watching the games on t.v. I certainly will stay there again, all our requests were met perfectly. One more thing, the balconies on the 2nd floor are much larger than the rest.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Wilmington, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

We just returned from two nights at the Hollywood Marriott. We lived in Ft. Lauderdale for almost three years, so we knew the area. The hotel is a renovated Howard Johnsons and they have done a great job. The beachfront location is lovely. The Broadwalk allows bikers, runners and joggers to exercise right on the beach. We found the staff, for the most part, to be the highlight of the visit. John, who manages the pool, is a real asset. He and his staff could not do enough to make the atmosphere at the pool wonderful. As others have mentioned, Hollywood is a bit dicey in spots, but a real effort has been made to clean up some of the rough spots we saw when we lived there.
We will definitely be back to this hotel...a great place to go for a few days to relax and enjoy a lovely beach.

• Liked — The beachfront pool, great food.
  • Disliked — Check in/check out
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

My husband and I had our "babymoon" at this hotel from Sat May 17 - Tues May 20. Overall, we found the hotel to be excellent and the location/beaach to be ideal for our short trip.

Hotel: The hotel was perfect for us because I could use my Marriott points, we got to stay in a not-so-touristy area of the beach and we were in walking distance of everything we needed (restaurants/mini-marts/shops). The hotel staff gave us a great room on the 10th floor with a beautiful view of the beach. The beds were so comfy - I slept sound as ever (which says a lot, being 7 mos pregnant!) The workout room was nice each morning, and we also got good exercise walking down the broadwalk to the restaurants. The Marriott restaurant has great food... it's a bit pricier than the other restaurants down the way, but we were happy with everything we had (breakfast and lunch).

Beach: Hollywood beach is just beautiful and I LOVED walking the broadwalk and staring out at the ocean. Sat/Sun was extremely crowded... families everywhere and the pool was packed! We rented a $24 umbrella/lounge set on the beach both days - the sun is so intense that I got a tan/mild burn even though I really tried to stay under the umbrella most of the time. We really enjoyed Mon/Tues when the crowds were gone and it was just a few couples on the beach - very romantic and relaxing just sitting on the beach listening to the waves. The ocean temp was perfect this time of year, and it was not rough at all so we enjoyed several swims throughout our stay - very refreshing!

Restaurants: We ate at Broadwalk Cafe, Little Venice Pizza, La Brochette, Taverna Opa, Bill's Crab House, Giorgio's Bakery, and some Greek restaurant... all were EXCELLENT! We also frequented Edy's for ice cream... you really can't go wrong with the restaurants in the area.

Other: Besides the beach/pool/broadwalk - there is precious little to do in Hollywood. We had our fill of relaxation after nearly 4 full days of beaching, lounging, reading, eating, etc... it is a great spot for a short trip, but I could not see spending more than 4 days here... unless we had a rental car and could drive to Miami or something.

• Liked — Location - great beach, walking distance to restaurants, away from high-rise bldg
  • Disliked — Kids everywhere on the weekend, fruit is super-overpriced at Hollywood restaurants
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I was in town last week for business and couldn't fly back the last work day, so decided to find a room at the beach and stay the extra night. This hotel was a great choice - and a free room with Marriott points.

Cons:

I found the Hollywood beach area to be a little on the seedy side. I walked the length of the boardwalk area alone and to dinner at Taverna Opa (about a mile) and never felt unsafe since there were plenty of people around, but I think I would have been a little nervous otherwise. I definitely wouldn't leave valuables on the beach while swimming.

The room was a somewhat on the small side - great for 1 or 2, cramped for 3 or more. The balcony is definitely 2 people max.

The pool isn't one of those new/free-form/waterfall types - certainly functional, very clean, but nothing special. It was also ccccccold! (in mid-May) The pool area is probably a little on the small side - I was there on a friday and nearly every lounge chair was taken at noon. I didn't see anyone who wasn't accomodated, but add another 20 people and it would have been a problem.

Pros:

I don't usually comment on the staff unless there's some out of the ordinary situation. First, I thought I had made a reservation with my marriott points, but apparently didn't click the last "yes i really want to do this" button on the webpage. No problem, the lady at the counter got me a points room and even apologized for what I'm sure was my own fault. She even gave me a choice of rooms to pick from. Every time I walked by the front desk, they smiled, said hello, asked how things were going. The host at the restaurant (Girard) was so nice, stopped to chat for a few minutes, and remembered my name. That's usually the kind of service you find at really good small boutique hotels - I was pretty impressed for a large Marriott.

The view from the room was amazing - looking over the pool and beach.

The rooms are beautifully decorated - dark hardwoods, nice linens, etc. 2 very nice robes - not the regular terry kind, these are ultra soft velour on the inside and something like egyptian cotton on the outside.

Breakfast outside on the patio overlooking the beach is not to be missed - the food was excellent and the view even better - so relaxing!

Service at the pool was something I was not expected - they brought around FREE skewers of chilled fruit and mini-size frozen drinks.

Being right on the boardwalk was great - within 1/4 - 1/2 mile you can walk shops/restaurants. There are more restaurants/shops further down as well, and its a beautiful walk. There's a smooth section of the boardwalk for rollerblading as well as bicycles. There must be a place to rent them, although only staying 1 day, I didn't have time to check it out. On the beach in front of the hotel there's a guy renting beach cabanas, umbrellas, and cushioned chairs - the price for a 2 lounge chair cabana was $22/day.

I didn't actually swim in the ocean (not enough time, and by myself) - the water is a beautiful color, although I could see some seaweed floating around. The beach was clean and there are several places along the boardwalk with shower heads where you can wash off the sand.

It looked like a great place for watersports like waverunners and windsurfers, but I never saw any, and there were no vendors.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again - great spot for pre/post cruises. I don't think I would necessarily make it a vacation destination on its own, but it was very relaxing and an enjoyable stay.

• Liked — staff, view, boardwalk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Rochester Hills Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

I had never heard of Hollywood and i am an avid Marriott user. It is a great location with a long boardwalk right outside the hotel. The boardwalk has many restaurants and little shops. The hotel itself was great! The rooms were average sized and very clean, the staff was nice including the pool guy! he was very funny i would keep an eye out for him (in a good way!). In regards to negative reviews about this hotel, some people are honestly never pleased wherever they go no matter what. Hollywood is a nice town and it is surrounded by miami and ft lauderdale which are also VERY nice cities so you will NOT ever get bored!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Pender Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I had travelled from Vancouver through Phoenix to stay for a few nights with some friends in Houston. We left Houston and landed in Ft. Lauderdale (via Charlotte, NC). We were a few days early for a relocation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and back up the Pacific Coast to Vancouver.
I had read the good reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and was very pleased with the outcome of our stay. The hotel is well situated in relationship to the airport and Port Everglades and we really enjoyed walking on the walkway along the ocean. The weather was very warm and we enjoyed the heat of the day on our various walks. We particularly liked the pastel coloured art deco buildings of the surrounding area.
Our room was very spacious and modern and we had a great view from the 9th floor out to the pool area and the ocean.
We stayed for 2 nights and used the restaurant for breakfast and lunch.
I would recommend this facility for anyone who is planning a cruise.

• Liked — Closeness to Port Everglades for our cruise.
  • Disliked — N/
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!