“Great for a short getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20%
Ranked #12 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Houston
“Great for a short getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

My husband and I had our "babymoon" at this hotel from Sat May 17 - Tues May 20. Overall, we found the hotel to be excellent and the location/beaach to be ideal for our short trip.

Hotel: The hotel was perfect for us because I could use my Marriott points, we got to stay in a not-so-touristy area of the beach and we were in walking distance of everything we needed (restaurants/mini-marts/shops). The hotel staff gave us a great room on the 10th floor with a beautiful view of the beach. The beds were so comfy - I slept sound as ever (which says a lot, being 7 mos pregnant!) The workout room was nice each morning, and we also got good exercise walking down the broadwalk to the restaurants. The Marriott restaurant has great food... it's a bit pricier than the other restaurants down the way, but we were happy with everything we had (breakfast and lunch).

Beach: Hollywood beach is just beautiful and I LOVED walking the broadwalk and staring out at the ocean. Sat/Sun was extremely crowded... families everywhere and the pool was packed! We rented a $24 umbrella/lounge set on the beach both days - the sun is so intense that I got a tan/mild burn even though I really tried to stay under the umbrella most of the time. We really enjoyed Mon/Tues when the crowds were gone and it was just a few couples on the beach - very romantic and relaxing just sitting on the beach listening to the waves. The ocean temp was perfect this time of year, and it was not rough at all so we enjoyed several swims throughout our stay - very refreshing!

Restaurants: We ate at Broadwalk Cafe, Little Venice Pizza, La Brochette, Taverna Opa, Bill's Crab House, Giorgio's Bakery, and some Greek restaurant... all were EXCELLENT! We also frequented Edy's for ice cream... you really can't go wrong with the restaurants in the area.

Other: Besides the beach/pool/broadwalk - there is precious little to do in Hollywood. We had our fill of relaxation after nearly 4 full days of beaching, lounging, reading, eating, etc... it is a great spot for a short trip, but I could not see spending more than 4 days here... unless we had a rental car and could drive to Miami or something.

• Liked — Location - great beach, walking distance to restaurants, away from high-rise bldg
  • Disliked — Kids everywhere on the weekend, fruit is super-overpriced at Hollywood restaurants
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

883 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

I was in town last week for business and couldn't fly back the last work day, so decided to find a room at the beach and stay the extra night. This hotel was a great choice - and a free room with Marriott points.

Cons:

I found the Hollywood beach area to be a little on the seedy side. I walked the length of the boardwalk area alone and to dinner at Taverna Opa (about a mile) and never felt unsafe since there were plenty of people around, but I think I would have been a little nervous otherwise. I definitely wouldn't leave valuables on the beach while swimming.

The room was a somewhat on the small side - great for 1 or 2, cramped for 3 or more. The balcony is definitely 2 people max.

The pool isn't one of those new/free-form/waterfall types - certainly functional, very clean, but nothing special. It was also ccccccold! (in mid-May) The pool area is probably a little on the small side - I was there on a friday and nearly every lounge chair was taken at noon. I didn't see anyone who wasn't accomodated, but add another 20 people and it would have been a problem.

Pros:

I don't usually comment on the staff unless there's some out of the ordinary situation. First, I thought I had made a reservation with my marriott points, but apparently didn't click the last "yes i really want to do this" button on the webpage. No problem, the lady at the counter got me a points room and even apologized for what I'm sure was my own fault. She even gave me a choice of rooms to pick from. Every time I walked by the front desk, they smiled, said hello, asked how things were going. The host at the restaurant (Girard) was so nice, stopped to chat for a few minutes, and remembered my name. That's usually the kind of service you find at really good small boutique hotels - I was pretty impressed for a large Marriott.

The view from the room was amazing - looking over the pool and beach.

The rooms are beautifully decorated - dark hardwoods, nice linens, etc. 2 very nice robes - not the regular terry kind, these are ultra soft velour on the inside and something like egyptian cotton on the outside.

Breakfast outside on the patio overlooking the beach is not to be missed - the food was excellent and the view even better - so relaxing!

Service at the pool was something I was not expected - they brought around FREE skewers of chilled fruit and mini-size frozen drinks.

Being right on the boardwalk was great - within 1/4 - 1/2 mile you can walk shops/restaurants. There are more restaurants/shops further down as well, and its a beautiful walk. There's a smooth section of the boardwalk for rollerblading as well as bicycles. There must be a place to rent them, although only staying 1 day, I didn't have time to check it out. On the beach in front of the hotel there's a guy renting beach cabanas, umbrellas, and cushioned chairs - the price for a 2 lounge chair cabana was $22/day.

I didn't actually swim in the ocean (not enough time, and by myself) - the water is a beautiful color, although I could see some seaweed floating around. The beach was clean and there are several places along the boardwalk with shower heads where you can wash off the sand.

It looked like a great place for watersports like waverunners and windsurfers, but I never saw any, and there were no vendors.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again - great spot for pre/post cruises. I don't think I would necessarily make it a vacation destination on its own, but it was very relaxing and an enjoyable stay.

• Liked — staff, view, boardwalk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Rochester Hills Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2008

I had never heard of Hollywood and i am an avid Marriott user. It is a great location with a long boardwalk right outside the hotel. The boardwalk has many restaurants and little shops. The hotel itself was great! The rooms were average sized and very clean, the staff was nice including the pool guy! he was very funny i would keep an eye out for him (in a good way!). In regards to negative reviews about this hotel, some people are honestly never pleased wherever they go no matter what. Hollywood is a nice town and it is surrounded by miami and ft lauderdale which are also VERY nice cities so you will NOT ever get bored!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pender Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I had travelled from Vancouver through Phoenix to stay for a few nights with some friends in Houston. We left Houston and landed in Ft. Lauderdale (via Charlotte, NC). We were a few days early for a relocation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and back up the Pacific Coast to Vancouver.
I had read the good reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and was very pleased with the outcome of our stay. The hotel is well situated in relationship to the airport and Port Everglades and we really enjoyed walking on the walkway along the ocean. The weather was very warm and we enjoyed the heat of the day on our various walks. We particularly liked the pastel coloured art deco buildings of the surrounding area.
Our room was very spacious and modern and we had a great view from the 9th floor out to the pool area and the ocean.
We stayed for 2 nights and used the restaurant for breakfast and lunch.
I would recommend this facility for anyone who is planning a cruise.

• Liked — Closeness to Port Everglades for our cruise.
  • Disliked — N/
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

I am surprised at the negative reviews. I travel fequently and stay at many Marriotts. This property is just fine. I found the staff very friendly and accomodating. Another reviewer is right this is not the "South" Go to Mobile, Birmingham. Atlanta or Savannah and Charleston for that -- not SE FL! The pool area is nice - a good breeze and a mixture of sun and shade. You can see the ocean from the pool. I had room sevice for dinner- a very good burger- in less than 30 minutes. I requested a late check out which was no problem.
I had an executive suite that had the "renassiance" finsihes - marble tops on table and dresser. Philips flat screen TV. Nice little shop for a snack or forgotten toiletries. A Starbucks cafe in the lobby if you don't want a big breakfast.
As far as the neighborhood it seemed quiet and not threatening.
I walked the broadwalk in the morning and thought it was nice. There was a lot of people out but no freaks - all ages - people on a charity walk , bicyclers and runners. And the broadwalk is really not the hotel's "problem".
I would definitely return here.

• Liked — nice beach hotel close to FLL
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

My girlfriend and I arrived a day early in Ft Lauderdale for a cruise with Carnival. As a Platinum Marriott member, I had some certificates for free stays and decided to use them at the Hollywood Beach Marriott for the night before and the night after our cruise; and what a great choice it was! The location is beautiful, with a great view of the beach and a long boardwalk with much to see. There was a French-Canadian festival going on along the beach and boardwalk which was very interesting to see.

The best part was the room itself, I was upgraded to a suite with two balconies, one overlooking the ocean and another over the pool. The room was fantastic; huge, comfortable bed, LCD TV, and a large marble shower. We slept with the sliding door open, listening to the waves come in which was really relaxing. The hotel restaurant was also nice with great food and service - not too pricey either.

Since I would be returning in a week, I asked the front desk person if we could possibly get the same room or one similar on our return (yes, it was that great). She said no problem, and sure enough when we returned we got another suite on a higher floor. Staff were wonderful and very friendly throughout.

• Liked — Quality of rooms, view
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

My cousins recently spent three nights (Thu-Sun) at the hotel with their four-year-old boy. I went to visit with them, as a local, to get a sense of what the Marriott was like as a guest.
I have some general observations that may be helpful.
In general, the Marriott is a smaller property than many other beachfront resorts. This is because Hollywood Beach is in transition. It's aim is to become a world-class family beach destination, and in many ways it has succeeded with old fashioned charm. But the locals didn't want this to come at the expense of big, evil chain hotels.
Therefore, Marriott worked very hard in making the Hollywood Beach resort very boutique-like, in many ways. As a result, check out on a Sunday in-season can be a stressful experience full of New Yorkers who need to get to the airport.
The parking garage is a little difficult to find, as it's right before the valet and not clearly marked. Additionally, finding the hotel when driving north on AIA isn't easy.
Parking rates are on a scale, maxing at $10 a day. This is not bad considering where you are - I think it's now $12 to park in Venice Beach or Santa Monica Beach, and that's a flat rate.
The surrounding area by the Marriott includes several old, ratty apartment hotels and is on the north side of all of the action. That being said, the Marriott offers a nice albeit small pool area and is one of the few places in Florida where you can walk to the beach and dip in the ocean - and then run back into the pool area in just a couple of minutes.
The ocean changes by the day in South Florida and on this particular day the waves were flat and bobbing up and down in the water was pretty easy.
No jellyfish. No seaweed.
Also of note: there is waiter service poolside, although I saw only one server. John from Hawaii is your poolside concierge, and he's just as friendly and helpful as can be.
Adjacent to the pool is a restaurant and outdoor bar with just the right amount of class to fit in to Hollywood Beach.
Now, about Hollywood Beach. It's the No. 1 tourist destination for French Canadians, and they are in town from late October until April 13th. I know this for a fact because the final day of distribution of Le Journal du Quebec and Le Presse from Montreal was the 12th.
The mix of beachy food, nice but not opulent dining choices and typical tourist stores makes for a good counterpoint to the "luxurious" and ridiculously overpriced options of South Beach (where I rent my apartment) and Sunny Isles Beach, which was destroyed by a zealous mayor who wanted to create a Riviera-like setting and as a result destroyed the entire draw of the city's beaches. Unless you want to stay at the Trump and be among the elite who don't mind the sun disappearing behind a 45-story monstrosity at 1pm and thus ruining the rest of your beach day.
Simply put: Hollywood is a perfect place to have it all - beach, pool, Italian ices, pizza, a decent Argentine meal and a French newspaper to feel as if you're really on vacation.

Also nearby: Giorgio's Bakery (on the Intracoastal) for a great inexpensive meal and views of passing boats; le Tub, a dive made famous by GQ Magazine for having the best burgers in America that's somewhat true; and Taverna Opa for a fun Greek-inspired meal and dancing.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Marriott Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!