“A very enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Pender Island, Canada
“A very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I had travelled from Vancouver through Phoenix to stay for a few nights with some friends in Houston. We left Houston and landed in Ft. Lauderdale (via Charlotte, NC). We were a few days early for a relocation cruise from Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal and back up the Pacific Coast to Vancouver.
I had read the good reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor and was very pleased with the outcome of our stay. The hotel is well situated in relationship to the airport and Port Everglades and we really enjoyed walking on the walkway along the ocean. The weather was very warm and we enjoyed the heat of the day on our various walks. We particularly liked the pastel coloured art deco buildings of the surrounding area.
Our room was very spacious and modern and we had a great view from the 9th floor out to the pool area and the ocean.
We stayed for 2 nights and used the restaurant for breakfast and lunch.
I would recommend this facility for anyone who is planning a cruise.

• Liked — Closeness to Port Everglades for our cruise.
  • Disliked — N/
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

791 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

I am surprised at the negative reviews. I travel fequently and stay at many Marriotts. This property is just fine. I found the staff very friendly and accomodating. Another reviewer is right this is not the "South" Go to Mobile, Birmingham. Atlanta or Savannah and Charleston for that -- not SE FL! The pool area is nice - a good breeze and a mixture of sun and shade. You can see the ocean from the pool. I had room sevice for dinner- a very good burger- in less than 30 minutes. I requested a late check out which was no problem.
I had an executive suite that had the "renassiance" finsihes - marble tops on table and dresser. Philips flat screen TV. Nice little shop for a snack or forgotten toiletries. A Starbucks cafe in the lobby if you don't want a big breakfast.
As far as the neighborhood it seemed quiet and not threatening.
I walked the broadwalk in the morning and thought it was nice. There was a lot of people out but no freaks - all ages - people on a charity walk , bicyclers and runners. And the broadwalk is really not the hotel's "problem".
I would definitely return here.

• Liked — nice beach hotel close to FLL
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

My girlfriend and I arrived a day early in Ft Lauderdale for a cruise with Carnival. As a Platinum Marriott member, I had some certificates for free stays and decided to use them at the Hollywood Beach Marriott for the night before and the night after our cruise; and what a great choice it was! The location is beautiful, with a great view of the beach and a long boardwalk with much to see. There was a French-Canadian festival going on along the beach and boardwalk which was very interesting to see.

The best part was the room itself, I was upgraded to a suite with two balconies, one overlooking the ocean and another over the pool. The room was fantastic; huge, comfortable bed, LCD TV, and a large marble shower. We slept with the sliding door open, listening to the waves come in which was really relaxing. The hotel restaurant was also nice with great food and service - not too pricey either.

Since I would be returning in a week, I asked the front desk person if we could possibly get the same room or one similar on our return (yes, it was that great). She said no problem, and sure enough when we returned we got another suite on a higher floor. Staff were wonderful and very friendly throughout.

• Liked — Quality of rooms, view
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

My cousins recently spent three nights (Thu-Sun) at the hotel with their four-year-old boy. I went to visit with them, as a local, to get a sense of what the Marriott was like as a guest.
I have some general observations that may be helpful.
In general, the Marriott is a smaller property than many other beachfront resorts. This is because Hollywood Beach is in transition. It's aim is to become a world-class family beach destination, and in many ways it has succeeded with old fashioned charm. But the locals didn't want this to come at the expense of big, evil chain hotels.
Therefore, Marriott worked very hard in making the Hollywood Beach resort very boutique-like, in many ways. As a result, check out on a Sunday in-season can be a stressful experience full of New Yorkers who need to get to the airport.
The parking garage is a little difficult to find, as it's right before the valet and not clearly marked. Additionally, finding the hotel when driving north on AIA isn't easy.
Parking rates are on a scale, maxing at $10 a day. This is not bad considering where you are - I think it's now $12 to park in Venice Beach or Santa Monica Beach, and that's a flat rate.
The surrounding area by the Marriott includes several old, ratty apartment hotels and is on the north side of all of the action. That being said, the Marriott offers a nice albeit small pool area and is one of the few places in Florida where you can walk to the beach and dip in the ocean - and then run back into the pool area in just a couple of minutes.
The ocean changes by the day in South Florida and on this particular day the waves were flat and bobbing up and down in the water was pretty easy.
No jellyfish. No seaweed.
Also of note: there is waiter service poolside, although I saw only one server. John from Hawaii is your poolside concierge, and he's just as friendly and helpful as can be.
Adjacent to the pool is a restaurant and outdoor bar with just the right amount of class to fit in to Hollywood Beach.
Now, about Hollywood Beach. It's the No. 1 tourist destination for French Canadians, and they are in town from late October until April 13th. I know this for a fact because the final day of distribution of Le Journal du Quebec and Le Presse from Montreal was the 12th.
The mix of beachy food, nice but not opulent dining choices and typical tourist stores makes for a good counterpoint to the "luxurious" and ridiculously overpriced options of South Beach (where I rent my apartment) and Sunny Isles Beach, which was destroyed by a zealous mayor who wanted to create a Riviera-like setting and as a result destroyed the entire draw of the city's beaches. Unless you want to stay at the Trump and be among the elite who don't mind the sun disappearing behind a 45-story monstrosity at 1pm and thus ruining the rest of your beach day.
Simply put: Hollywood is a perfect place to have it all - beach, pool, Italian ices, pizza, a decent Argentine meal and a French newspaper to feel as if you're really on vacation.

Also nearby: Giorgio's Bakery (on the Intracoastal) for a great inexpensive meal and views of passing boats; le Tub, a dive made famous by GQ Magazine for having the best burgers in America that's somewhat true; and Taverna Opa for a fun Greek-inspired meal and dancing.

Stayed April 2008
Chicago area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

Hollywood Beach and its beautiful Broadwalk are the reason to stay here. The water is beautiful, and the beach is peaceful. And you don't need to rent a car; just walk south and you find 30+ water-front restaurants. Great food, great prices, and fabulous views. Also great for people watching. The area has only a few hotels, the rest of the stretch is filled with kitchenette weekly rentals and a few mini-marts and souvenir shops. The beach is peaceful and quiet, even at spring break. I stayed here years ago before the Marriot bought the hotel and I now return to this beach every trip to Florida. I also love to listen to the many languages spoken here from all the folks who spend the winter here: Italian, French, German, and Spanish and more.

OK, the hotel--Starbucks coffee can be purchased in the lobby until 2:30 p.m. Rooms are lush and small, have hard beds and noisy AC that may wake you up. Every room has a partial ocean view and small balcony with 2 chairs. The pool is very warm and well kept; just a bit small given the size of the hotel. You can buy your own chair and umbrella at a store or rent one from the folks at the beach. The cabana rentals protect you from the wind and sun on the windier days. The area outside the hotel has many places to sit and relax and enjoy the ocean without getting your toes in the sand, if you are that type:) The hotel is high priced, but I don't usually stay at Marriots. If you want this great location and prefer a hotel to a less fancy place with kitchenette, it is worth the price. I will include some pics of the broadwalk so you know what it looks like.

Stayed March 2008
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott Hollywood Beach from 3/19 - 3/23/08. Upon arrival, we actually passed it, because it looked so awful on the outside that I couldn't believe it was the right hotel. The color is awful, and the neighborhood is seedy. We pulled in to the parking ramp that is attached to the hotel, and it's actually nice and convenient to park there, although they charge $10/day for parking.

The lobby is nice enough, with a Caribbean style. The front desk staff was very courteous. We were not very pleased with the room, however, as it was very, very small and difficult to get around in. The bathroom was nice, but there is a glass door, so if you're not staying with family, you probably won't want anyone in the room when you're going to the bathroom! There is no fan in the bathroom, so it gets very steamy when taking a shower. Not convenient if someone is in the shower while you're trying to get ready in the bathroom. The carpeting was old and needs to be replaced. The beds were comfortable. The TV was old and too small for the room. The balcony was tiny, and with 2 chairs and a table out there, you couldn't even move. It is also seemingly dangerous if you have small children. My kids are 14 and 10, and I wasn't comfortable with them being on the balcony.

The main problem with our room was that it was never properly cleaned by our cleaning person. It only appeared that she left clean towels, took the used towels, and emptied the garbage. Nothing else seemed to have been done. The room certainly hadn't been vacuumed nor the beds made.

The beach itself is just okay. There was a lot of seaweed the some dead jellyfish on the beach, but I must add that it was quite windy during our stay. There were also a lot of cigarette butts and garbage. The beach was not well kept. In addition, the beach is flat but then slopes down toward the water. If you are sitting in a cabana or chairs on the beach, and your children are by the water, you can’t see them, so we had to keep getting up to go check on the kids. The hotel’s website says that you can buy drinks from servers on the beach, but we didn’t see anyone. We had to leave the beach and go to the hotel bar to buy drinks. Also, we found out on the first day (the hard way) that you have to rent your cabana and/or chairs by 9:00 am; otherwise, you won’t get any. We also had to help ourselves to beach towels as there was no one by the pool to help us. We waited about 10 minutes, along with some other hotel guests, until we finally decided to go behind the counter and get them ourselves.

Which brings me to the pool. It’s tiny and almost impossible to move around the pool area due to the number of chairs there. Again, you have to “claim” chairs by 9:00 am if you want any. The pool itself is very, very small…far too small for a hotel of this size on the ocean. The pool area is actually very ugly. It looks like it was part of some seedy hotel at one point, and they may have painted the pool area, but it still does not look nice at all. The chairs are old and grungy looking, too.

Another thing that was annoying was the exit/entry out of the hotel to the patio and beach. There was only one exit, and it was also being used by servers at the hotel restaurant. Every time you came through the door, you had to stop and wait for the servers to go by, in many cases with an armful of dirty dishes.

The food at the hotel was good. They even gave us free tea and coffee on our first night because I mentioned that I had a cold. That was very nice. However, the following day, the breakfast server sat us down, and forgot about us for ½ hour. I had to go to the hostess and get our own menus. Then when the server came back, she kept trying to talk us into the expensive buffet. I explained that I don’t order buffet because I don’t eat a lot and just wanted to order a la carte. She stated that a la carte items would take 30 minutes to prepare. I said that was okay. Ten minutes later our food arrived. I think she was trying to sell the buffet, which I did not appreciate.

The “broadwalk” should be called the “freakwalk”. We couldn’t believe the number of strange-looking, and even some scary-looking, people skating and walking by on the broadwalk. I didn’t care for it. You had to walk across it to get to the beach and risk being run over by a wayward inline skater or bicyclist. Also, if you wanted to eat on the patio, you risked the possibility of being stared at by strange people while you ate. I personally prefer a hotel where you are segregated from the public a bit, and you won’t get that here. In fact, the entire beach is full of non-hotel guests.

God forbid you have rain during your stay. We had rain, not heavy, not light, just basic rain the last day of our stay, and the power went out in the entire hotel early in the afternoon. The power came back on after dinnertime; however, we didn’t realize that the air conditioning wasn’t working until I woke up in an oven-like room at 3:00 a.m. Since we were getting up at 5:00 am to check out, I didn’t bother to call the front desk, but I did mention it at checkout. The front desk clerk stated that there was a problem with the air conditioning in many of the rooms because of the earlier power outage.

One last complaint. Every night, and I mean every night, there were police cars all over Ocean Drive. Not sure why, but there appears to be a crime problem in that area. Once we had to detour 5 miles out of the way to get back to the hotel because the street right in front of the hotel was blocked by police cars. I did not feel particularly safe in this hotel. I certainly would not stay in this hotel if I was alone.

Needless to say, it was not a very pleasant stay. I must add that I am a frequent traveler and Marriott customer and am accustomed to staying in nice hotels. I am very picky, but at the same time, not one to complain. I have stayed in this area of Florida before, and there are much nicer places to stay. This Marriott most definitely does not live up the Marriott standard. I will not stay there again. If you are the least bit picky, look elsewhere.

• Liked — food was good
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

My girlfriend and I just returned from the Hollywood Beach Marriott, and we had a great experience. If you are looking for a nice hotel with easy access to the beach, this hotel is a very good choice. As previously stated, the hotel's appearance from the outside is not amazing, but it is up-to-date and clean inside. I have stayed at the Delray Beach, FL Marriott many times, and the rooms at the Hollywood Marriott are much newer/ cleaner. (The service at the Hollywood hotel is also better, although Delray has MUCH better restaurants in the area.)

The Hollywood Beach boardwalk, which passes in front of the hotel is great for people-watching and checking out the area. As stated by previous reviewers, the immediate area of the hotel is not the most desirable, however it seemed completely safe. All of the buildings near the hotel are either old inexpensive hotels or cheap souvenir shops. The area reminded me a lot of the old part of Myrtle Beach, SC, with tacky little shops and questionable bars/ hotels built in the 60s.

The outdoor bar was convenient to the beach/ pool and was very nice. The prices were reasonable, but the service was not the fastest (as expected at an outdoor bar/ restaurant).

By the way, it is evident that the previous reviewer from Wisconsin is not familiar with the southeast US at all. Although South Florida is geographically in the SE corner of the country, it is in no way culturally similar to the rest of the southeast. Given that 95% of the people who live in the area relocated from either NYC, Boston or a Caribbean Island, I would not expect "southern hospitality" from any hotel in the area.

• Liked — Proximity to beach and nice outdoor restaurant/ bar
  • Disliked — Tacky restaurants/ shops in the vicinity
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marriott Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!