“Boa relação custo-benefício / You get what you pay for” 3 of 5 stars

Hollywood Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2900 Polk Street, Hollywood, FL 33020   |
Ranked #45 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Rio de Janeiro
“Boa relação custo-benefício / You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Fui um pouco preocupado com alguns relatos do hotel, mas achei muito mais tranquilo do que previa. Apesar de ter piscina e café da manhã, não é um hotel para você aproveitar as dependências. Meu planejamento era só dormir lá, pois tinha uma programação durante todo o dia, e para isso atendeu às minhas expectativas. Não tomei café lá nenhum dia (mas vi o esquema e parecia bem fraquinho) e fiquei num quarto do térreo (para aqueles mais preocupados com a segurança, de repente vale a pena ficar num do 2º andar, mas sinceramente, segurança não me pareceu um problema). Pontos positivos: cama grande, banho quente, toalhas trocadas diariamente, frigobar e microondas. Negativos: Quartos com carpete, TV antiga e sem controle remoto (mas com muitos canais).

I was a little concerned having read some reviews here, but actually it was better than I expected. Although it has a pool and breakfast, it is not a hotel where you'll want to spend some time enjoying the amenities. I was planning only to sleep there, since I had my days filled with other activities, and for that purpose it was satisfactory. I didn't have breakfast there, but I saw it and it seemed very weak. I got a room at ground level and for those concerned about safety, maybe they should get a room at the upper level (althought safety didn't seem like an issue for me). Pros: large bed, hot water, towels changed daily, small fridge (no mini bar though!) and microwave. Cons: rooms with carpet, old TV without remote control (but with a lot of channels).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
El Cajon, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked this hotel on the cheap because I only needed it for one night before our next morning flight after our cruise. I'll say the place looked scary when we drove up. We carried eight bags of luggage from our car to our room. When we walked in the room, the smell was horrendous. The motel room was a wreck. Nothing about the room was comforting. I looked at my wife and kids' faces and knew they were scared to sleep here. Nobody even wanted to touch anything. I laughed and told my wife, "Okay, we're leaving." After two minutes in the room we carried our eight bags of luggage back to the car and left, not knowing where we were going. When we left I saw a young couple unloading their luggage and felt really bad for them. We drove around and found a Best Western about five miles away. Comparitively, the BW seem like a Five Star hotel! Seriously, if you're thinking "I'll book because it's just for one night", we'll just don't do it! By the way, I've never written a review before, and probably won't again, but I couldn't let this one go by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canapé-Vert
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

It is a mid-level hotel with an improving serve. But is in a good place, very accessible by taxi an d even by train. I thought the rooms are good and the pool is appropriate. The breakfast is aceptable, and the air conditioning is especially in summer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I needed a hotel for a few weeks in a location close to public transport, restaurants, supermarkets etc so i chose the Gateway Inn in Hollywood. Big Mistake. I changed rooms three times. First room had a broken down A/C. Then the second room was infested with bed bugs. I had red sores all over my arms & neck..the Friendly staff did provided another room which seemed to be refurbished so a lot less dirt & misery. I slept on top of the comforter though in fear of another BAD BUG attack !!!...
Cleanliness is key even if staying at a Budget Hotel...Budget should not mean unclean.
So take your chances..ask for a newer room with tiled floors and newer furniture.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with tiled floors and newer furniture.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in a ground-floor room that happily had sliding glass doors out to a small patio concrete pad, and the lawn, and the parking lot was right there, so we used the sliding glass door a lot to come and go. Hotel is several blocks from a large shopping center with Publix, Target, Boston Market and everything else. Lobby has a printer to plug into if you need to print something out. Breakfast ("continental") was bad, though. Hostess-brand packaged powdered sugar donuts. They locked the doors early and we came back around 9 PM and had to use our room key to get in, way down at the other end of the hotel, and then a long walk back to our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground-floor room, they have patios outside. Buy some of your own breakfast pastry or wha...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I needed a hotel to spend the night as my new place was not yet ready. As I drove up I knew I DID NOT want to stay here, the environment alone was discouraging and the people that were hanging out there would drive fear into any individual, most of whom seemed as if they were renting rooms for sex. I did not have many other options at this last minute I thought I would at least hear what they had to say. I have to hand it to the agent at the front desk, she was super nice and the only reason I ventured further to even complete my booking and at the very least check out the state of the room. Upon entering the room I knew the toilet was broken as it was running continuously, I made my way back to the front desk and was given another room, well the air conditioning was broken in this one. That was it for me, tired, frustrated with a 2 year old after a long day in hot, sunny South Florida...thankfully I was able to get a refund.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here unless it's just for sex!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

As an overnight guest with an early Amtrak train the following morning, I was very happy to stay in this convenient location, and I found the accommodation perfectly satisfactory. I was welcomed graciously by the delightful receptionist who was helpful throughout. My room had all the amenities as offered in good working order and was clean and fresh with a little balcony with two comfortable chairs outside for smokers and/or fresh air fiends. My only complaint is that the breakfast was inadequate and of poor quality and that the person on desk duty in the morning lacked the charm and attentiveness of her lovely colleague of the previous day, but these are surely simple matters to address and did not detract too heavily from the overall enjoyment of my stay. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, especially to Amtrak travellers who can literally walk across from the station in a matter of minutes and enjoy a relaxing shower, a good TV selection, good wifi access and a comfortable night's sleep. The area is quite acceptable and as a solo traveller I felt perfectly safe.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hollywood Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!