“Good, clean and basic” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Hollywood Beach Resort

You added Historic Hollywood Beach Resort to your Saves list
Historic Hollywood Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 North Ocean Drive, Hollywood Blvd & Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Ranked #55 of 67 Hotels in Hollywood
Massapequa Park, New York
“Good, clean and basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'll start by saying that any of the issues I read about prior to my stay here were NOT issues at all during my stay.

I had booked through booking.com for a last minute getaway for a few days. I started reading reviews AFTER I reserved my room, as I didnt want to lose what appeared to be one of the last rooms available.

After then reading the many poor past reviews, I saw that the new manager, Jerry Walker had replied to almost every post saying that the issues had been corrected and that they were the new management there. I emailed him off the board with my concerns, and to my surprise, I received a prompt reply later that day. Jerry assured me that my room would be clean and there would be no issues, and if I needed anything, to contact him directly.
Customer Service- Check 1!
I had also inquired about transportation from the airport, as the different sites had different info. Shortly there after, Concierge Bill contacted me to say that they no longer provided pickup due to the many flights and scheduling, etc. He provided me with some options, which was just fine. I had no problem paying for the transport, I was just really curious if it was provided or not due to the conflicting info I had seen. I was also quite surprised that he had contacted me as well.
Customer service, Check 2!

OK, I'll move on to the "Hotel" itself.. as you've seen in the photos, its quite large, and seems to be missing something on the outside.. maybe its the lack of balconies, or maybe it needs some sort of "trim"? It seems as if it could present itself as far more "grand" than it does. It was built in the 1920's, and so it has the typical narrow hallways of the day. Not really an issue, reminded me of some of the hotels in Altlantic City pre-gambling era.

What you may not realize from the pics online, is that the Oceanwalk Mall is also a part of the physical building, located on the ground floor. Its mostly a huge unused space, which is spread out and houses some retail and food establishments. At one point, I believe there was a food court, but that's been reduced to a small bakery stand and a coffee cart. There is a bicycle rental shop, a tee shirt store or 2, a general type store for various sundries, gifts, souvenirs, sodas and cigarettes, etc. There is a little "jewelry" kiosk in the mid mall; when the proprietor is there, he has some Sinatra playing on the radio and burns some of the incense he sells along with the cheap watches and other items.

The "hotel" lobby is at the front entrance, and sort of fades into the mall as you walk past. There is a "private" area through which you must pass by the concierge desk and security desk and swipe in to get to a smaller parlor type area that houses the elevators. This separates the guests/residents from the general public and provides an area to meet up with other guests to head out to dinner and what not.

So far, the public areas were clean, although maybe a bit dated, but it seems to suit the place anyway. The elevators were clean, solid and quick, although one of the 3 was out of service during my stay. There are seven floors, and the 2 elevators seemed to be quite adequate.

I arrived a few hours earlier than check in time. The young lady at the desk was very nice. She took my cell phone number and said she would call as soon as the room was ready. She also offered to hold any of my bags in the office if I wanted to go walk around. Since I only had a backpack, I declined the offer and went off to find the Ocean Pub 101 for a bit of lunch and a cocktail or 2.

I waited about an hour and a half for the room, which I didnt feel was too unreasonable, as it was 11:45 when I arrived, and check in is at 3. I was surprised to find that I had been upgraded to an oceanview room, as opposed to the city view I had booked.

The room was an efficiency, with a good size refrigerator, small gas stove, cabinets and sink/countertop. All were clean, bug free and in great condition. The room was clean, there was a queen or maybe it was a king? bed, with about 8 pillows. The bedding was clean and fresh, and free of any nasty bugs. Floors were ceramic tile, the bathroom was ok, my only complaint was the shower curtain. It had some mildew stains on it and had a slight odor. There were plenty of towels for one person.

Housekeeping... an area for improvement:

While everything was clean, there was some sort of powder on the floor outside room 730. It remained there through out my 3 night stay.

It seemed that everytime I went to take a shower, the housekeeper would show up. The first was the "Towel Exchange" person, who said they would come back in a bit, but never did. To be fair, he also said that I could call the desk if I need any towels. No one came in to clean the room that day.

On Tuesday, like clockwork, housekeeping knocked as I was getting in the shower. I asked if she could give me a few minutes and she agreed. Upon my leaving my room, I saw she was attending to the room next door. I said hello, and went about my day. Later that afternoon, I returned to find my room exactly as I had left it. No housekeeping.

On Wednesday, I reported the powdery substance in the hall to the front desk, seeing that I was checking out and it was still there. I neglected to mention the housekeeping issue, as I was late for my ride to the airport and in a hurry.

They also offered a "continental" breakfast, depending on which site you booked the room through. I was given two coupons per day to use at the coffee cart down the mall. The bakery stand, although listed on the card, apparently no longer accepts the coupons.

The coffee cart opens officially at 8AM, but Maryanne, the woman that opens is usually setting up by 7:30, and if you're nice, she may serve you before 8! She's a sweetheart and I enjoyed my conversations with her as I had my coffee and croissants.

The pool, which is outdoors, was also pretty nice. It was clean, and there were a lot of chaises; if you wanted, you could rent a cushion for a buck. Didn't need it, they were fine with out. My biggest complaint about the pool was the towel situation. You had to get a towel from the front desk. After leaving, you were supposed to bring the wet towel BACK to the desk? How silly is that?

All in all, I would say my experience here was a good one, and judging by the old reviews, has come a long way. I would definitely stay here again, the price is right, its a clean and basic place to stay. Jerry Walker and his team seem to be keeping up with everything and hopefully making improvements as they go along. I never experienced an attitude from any of the staff, all were friendly and helpful if asked a question.

From what I was told, the rooms are actually all condo, and rented out to guests if not used; others live here full time and I think others may be time share- 4th floor maybe?

Either way, it was a good experience overall and would recommend it.

jg

Room Tip: I liked the 7th floor, not sure if you can request a location or not though. **I couldnt remove th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank surgtech2006
Jerry W, General Manager at Historic Hollywood Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review with us.
We are so pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We truly appreciate your time and look forward to seeing you in Hollywood again!
Thanks Jerry Walker, General Manager

Flint, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a one week vacation in Hollywood, Florida. We met up with a group of old high school friends for our stay. There were eight of us. Someone other than myself made all the arrangements. After reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned at how things would turn out. The check in process that Saturday was a little chaotic and a long wait, but in the end everything worked out just fine. Yes, the rooms are outdated, but clean, and you just can't beat the beautiful ocean view. We spent many hours in the tiki bar for lunch and happy hour and lots of laughs. The pool is outstanding and very well maintained and supervised. That was my very favorite part...the pool! We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The positives, in my opinion, outweighed the negatives by far. If you are looking for plush, this is not the place for you, however, it is my understanding the the hotel is under new management and it would be wonderful to see the hotel be brought back to it's former magnificence. The hotel's location is great and the boardwalk and ocean is just outside the door. One would really have to work hard at not having a good time here. This was for us, a wonderful week. I appauld all efforts to restore this hotel and wish all involved the best.

Room Tip: Oceanview, oceanview, oceanview. I would want at least a 6th floor room so the view is not obstructe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PATRICIA C
Jerry W, General Manager at Historic Hollywood Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Good Morning to you Guest,
I want to thank you for staying with us and the review.. We are working hard to get us back on the right track here. I made so happy to read this this morning .. and I pasted it on to my staff.
Please if you ever need something let us know..
Thanks
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

First of all I want to Thank everyone here for accomadating us Easter week when our other plans fell through with a Scam. We had reserved at another location and it turned out to be a scam. With 6 travelers and no backup plan we were able to secure 3 rooms for our whole party. Your staff apologized o us after hearing what had happened. We all received drink vouchers, friendly service and great ocean view rooms. Yes, the rooms were a little dated but we were on the beach or in the pool most of the time anyway. We left and head to key west for 2 nights but when we came back we stayed and additional 2 nights with same great service. The front desk seemed overwhelmed and under staffed however we all wnjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jerry W, General Manager at Historic Hollywood Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying with us at the Historic Hollywood Beach Resort. I am so glad that you had a good stay with us. Good Reviews always let me know that we are improving here .. and that the staff is on the right track.

Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Staying at the hotel for three nights prior to catching a cruise ship. Arrived late due to missing a connecting flight to discover our room had been given to someone else. Even though it was prepaid?? This took the staff around three hours to rectify. Eventually got into the room to find a tired and dated appearance not really the deluxe room we had been promised. Nethertheless it was adequate for our needs. The location was great front line on the beach and not far from a great bar called nicks well worth a visit. Had the breakfast on the first morning it was terrible complete waste of time didn't bother getting up for it on the second day. The cleaners didn't bother to make up the room or replace the towels but on the last morning started banging on the door from 8am to clean it. Which I felt was a wind up. It's a shame with a bit of effort this could be a good hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jerry W, General Manager at Historic Hollywood Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
First of all I hate to hear what happen to you while stay at the hotel.. But , You Booked your room threw Hollywood Beach resort CRUISE PORT. which has nothing to do with us as the hotel .. they choose to clean and fix what rooms they have here at the hotel.. We on the other hand are trying very hard to change all that .. I hope that the next time you come here that you watch who you are booking your room threw.. There is only one Historic Hollywood Beach Resort Hotel. But others that are Tagged onto OUR name that rent unit out here.. CRUISE PORT is example.

I promise you that if you book and stay with us next time. You will not have the same experence at the hotel.. We will NEVER sale your room out from under you.. WE WILL make sure that your room is serviced daily. We want you to always come and enjoy your vacation with US..

Remember We are " Historic Hollywood Beach Resort" the one and only Hotel. and they else is not us..
HistoricHollywoodBeachResort.com. is us.. I am sorry sorry you booked and stay with another company on this proprty(Hollywood Beach Resort Cruise Port)..
Please Contact me directly when booking again .. We will make sure your are treated right..

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hollywood beach resort the week of April 8th.
We flew in super early in the morning and the shuttle picked us up right at 7am.
The hotel kept our luggage until we could check it. We were told that check in was at 4:00, but they would call us as soon as the room was ready. So we walked the beautiful boardwalk and had breakfast and a couple pina coladas. About 11:00 we received a call from the front desk that our room was ready. We went back to the hotel to check it “a little scared because of the previous reviews” and the room was just fine. Clean and the fridge and microwave were a plus. The only negative about the room is the thermostat is soooo cold. We didn’t complain to the front desk because we weren’t in the room much, but it got pretty frosty at night. The pool was absolutely beautiful and the ocean is literally steps away. The hotel offers a continental breakfast which is convenient and the bar right downstairs has good food and an awesome happy hour. Hollywood beach isn’t night life poppin but for couples and families it’s perfect and not to spendy. We are definitely making this our new spot for vacations. When you first arrive be aware that the hotel is in what looks like an abandoned mall, it’s a little weird. But once you get passed that it’s perfectly fine not the four seasons but just perfect for families and people on a budget.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jerry W, General Manager at Historic Hollywood Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest.
Thanks for Staying with us on your vacation .. The Review of the Hotel and your stay let me know we are on the right track in doing our jobs.. We want you and our future guest to always come stay with us. You are all #1 in Historic Hollywood Beach Resort.

Sincerely