“This place was full of roaches.” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 McKinley Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #14 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
“This place was full of roaches.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

The staff was friendly enough but that really only goes so far. While they were certainly nice, likeable people, they did a really poor job making our stay there a pleasant experience. Our room wasn't ready even though we'd called and been assured we could check in a few hours early. We had to change units the first night due to an unexplained mechanical problem in the one we'd reserved (we realize now it must have been the roaches). My sister, who had reserved an ocean front unit was moved to one facing the parking lot. My parents' room's smoke detector didn't work. there were Christmas lights plugged in in our unit, running out our window (which didn't close properly because of this) and down the staircase, and the cord of lights shocked anyone foolish enough to use the banister. The wifi didn't work. The shower didn't drain. Most windows didn't open. They staff gave our parking spot to someone else without telling us, and that guest angrily banged on our door and told us to move our car at 11:00 at night. None of the blinds closed properly. There were no paper towels, no laundry or dish detergent, no coffee (all offered under the previous owners). The sauna doesn't work, though it used to. The outdoor chairs were broken.

We were told we could go to the office and ask for anything but often it would be empty. When we called twice and asked for new towels, both times they took our old towels and didn't bring new ones until we called again to remind them. We were told housekeeping was three days a week but our unit was only partially cleaned once in the 12 days we stayed, and that did not include changing the sheets. Even with all those problems, I wouldn't have even complained were it not for the roaches. They did as close to nothing as possible about a severe roach infestation, calling an exterminator to come 6 days after we arrived and let them know about the problem. The exterminator was in our unit for less than fifteen minutes. Whatever he did, the roaches didn't take the hint and remained there until our checkout. We saw hundreds of roaches during our stay and coupled with the multitude of other problems, I am truly skeptical that any of the other reviews here are legitimate. My family was spread into three units and we all had major problems, so I'm surprised to read there were people who consider this place a 5 star rental.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bernadette S, Marketing Director at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
I ask the reader's of this review to please think seriously about the claims brought up by this user and what you would do if you were in the same situation, then please consider whether these claims prove found or unfounded.

I ask this question of future and potential guests, if you were scheduled to be in a place for 12 days and the problem, according to the guest was that "the infestation was so bad that they saw hundreds of roaches during their stay", would you have remained in the room where everyone was together at times eating dinner, making food in the kitchen or would you have allowed us to relocate you to another hotel, not far from your group?

Were there roaches in this guest's room? This claim is true, however, there is a little more drama added to this guest's review.
How it began and when, I'm not quite sure because no prior guest of this room made any claims.

It was brought to our attention and immediately we reacted. This guest checked in around the Xmas holiday and due to the high season, all of our rooms were booked up as this customer stated, she was scheduled to be here for 12 days. and because of that we offered to relocate them to another hotel so that they did not have to stay in that room. I do understand that she had friends in other rooms but it was their decision to remain in the room.
Because of the holiday season the exterminator was delayed. When he arrived he sprayed the entire room from ceilings to floors, inside cabinets (where the problem started) and told our guest and our staff members that they should notice a difference quickly and when we checked back with the family, the problem was quickly dissipating.

After the 12 days, they left, our exterminator was scheduled to come out and of course we made sure that he checked and sprayed the room again, but no more bugs were found.

Our reviews that are on TripAdvisor.com are absolutely legitimate. They are quite keen and smart at Trip Advisor that they know when someone is using the same IP address or is just trying to post claims to hurt our business.

As for the rest of the issues, had it been brought to our attention in the 12 days these customers stayed with us, we would have supplied them with everything.
They don't have any problems with communication, as we can see from this review and from their initial claim.

They stated that our staff was friendly enough then all they needed to do was communicate their wants to us and we would have gotten them anything they needed, especially because of the situation they arrived into, another contradiction in the review, we are a friendly staff but apparently never around. We are open at 8am till Midnight (often later due to arrivals).

I am extremely sorry that they had to arrive on vacation into the situation that they did.
I'm sorry that we did not have another room to offer them and I'm very sorry that they felt that they needed to leave a review like this when I know that our staff did everything we could while they were here to make amends for the initial problem.
I see now that no matter what we did or could have done, would not have pleased them at all.

The roaches have checked out, I know they are gone for good.

I guess all our reviews can't be 4 or 5 stars, we certainly do try very hard. The building is old, it needs work, but we just got here and we have come a long way in just a short few months.
We have a long road ahead but we are progressing quickly. I hope this will no keep any of you from joining us here. This place is worth it.

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Fairport, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Neptune over twenty times in the past ten years. Nothing fancy, but the location on the boardwalk made up for the lack of amenities. This year however the lack of maintenance has finally caught up. I can only hope the new managers hire qualified caretakers to repair the broken windows and shades, to upgrade the appliances, to exterminate the disgusting number of roaches we discovered in the cabinets and all over the apartment.
The new management has clearly tried and the front desk staff, Maria and Dominique are friendly and helpful, but the custodial staff is inept. Imagine during the height of the holiday week painting stripes on the walkway, (which people immediately stepped all over), wrapping Christmas lights attached with indoor extension cords all over the handrails, giving us shocks every time we touched them, (we unplugged them), having a party for all on New Year's Eve with fireworks right adjacent to guests windows(we had two babies with us).
It is hard to meet everyone's needs but they must clean this place up.

• Stayed December 2013
Bernadette S, at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
ABSOLUTELY The cab was called and reconfirmed by me when I came in.

This is quite unfortunate but also a reason why we recommend our shuttle instead of taxi companies. Besides I feel like the cab companies take advantage of out of state residents and take longer to get here or "Lost" when we are very easy to find.

I'm so sorry this happened to you but they even had your phone number to call you and when they get here, if it's a cell, Yellow cab instantly texts you now when the cab is 1 mile away and at the location waiting for you.

I don't believe this is our fault at all. I do know now that I can't rely on Yellow Cab's "Early Booking" option.
Liege, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Amazing location directly on the boardwalk. Proximity to different restaurants/bars. Good value for the money. Very friendly and helpful staff. Big one-bedroom studio facing the Ocean. I recommend highly to stay on Hollywood Beach and at the Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bernadette S, Marketing Director at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Always a pleasure hearing from treasured guests.

We are very blessed here to have a great staff, a prime location and amazing guests that we hope to continue having for years to come.

Thank you for spending your time with us!
Streamwood, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've never recommended a hotel before, but I liked this place. Friendly staff, right on the boardwalk; some rooms with great ocean views. Small but clean pool; bathrooms kinda small, but can't have everything; basic breakfast - juice, coffee, rolls, cereal, etc. Parking right at the building. Great for the price. Far better than the 'Hollywood Beach Hotel', which was only $12 less, and a block from the beach - not satisfactory - avoid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bernadette S, Marketing Director at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Hello and thanks for the great review!

Just reopening in November and under new ownership, it's so important to us to have our customers write reviews for us.
It was a pleasure reading yours and we are definitely glad we delivered great service your way.

We do hope that the next time you decide to visit, you stay with us again.
We will have to work on getting the 4 stars turned into a perfect 5. :-)
It's about what MORE we can do for you to make your stay that much better.
We wish you well and have a happy and healthy new year!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

My stay was very enjoyable, the rooms are very clean, the staff was very helpful and friendly. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to friends and family who were looking for a reasonably priced, yet wonderfully pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Bernadette S, Marketing Director at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We very much appreciate your review of our hotel and are thrilled that you loved our hotel enough to give us a perfect score.
That means we are doing something right and it's important to all of us here at The Neptune that we treat each and every one of you, the same way we would expect to be treated on our vacation.

Happy Holidays to you and please visit us again.
Sunrise, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We were coming to visit some friends and we decided to stay here. WHAT A GREAT CHOICE THAT WAS!! We were extremely happy with the friendly staff!! And that was the start of a GREAT WEEKEND!! Thanks for all you do! When we are back in town this is where we will be staying! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!

Stayed December 2013
Bernadette S, Marketing Director at Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review.
I speak for everyone at The Neptune Hotel when I say that we are very pleased to hear you had such a great visit with us.
Please do tell your friends and family about us and we look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards From All Of Us!
Happy Holidays!
Neptune Hollywood Beach Hotel
North Beach, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have been spending my Xmas vacation here for many years. It just keeps getting better. I get an oceanfront room with a view to die for. The prices are beyond reasonable. I love the fact that I can just sit out front in a lawn chair and peoplewatch. Many characters. You have all the conviences of home and then some. You can't beat the weather. I live at the beach in Maryland and look forward to my Florida getaway. Love the fireworks on New Years. Look out I'm on my way.

Room Tip: oceanfront is best