“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   301 Harrison St, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
Lisbon, Portugal
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked an Extra Vacations Getaway on RCI.com for two weeks in May at the Hollywood Beach Tower in Hollywood, Florida, which is one of my favorite spots on the Atlantic coast north of Miami. The resort is an oceanfront hotel with a privileged location on Broadwalk and my apartment on the 3rd floor overlooking the swimming pool had a breathtaking view over the beach and the ocean. The place is dated but still nice and very clean.
I was able to move into my room before check-in time and the apartment was spotless. Checking-in was fast and easy and the staff was friendly, professional and helpful. I travelled by car, so I got a parking permit to use the garage.
The unit, which was very spacious, included a big bedroom (with a free safe-deposit box), a living-room with a small kitchenette and two bathrooms. I had read some negative reviews about the size of the kitchen, but to me this posed no problem. The refrigerator had to be replaced because it was over freezing, but other than that everything else was fine. The fitness room on the 2nd floor features a treadmill, a bike and other equipment which was perfect for my morning workouts.
What I found annoying was the WiFi. It became easily very erratic, slow and often dropped off. At the front desk they suggested I should use the lobby with a better internet connection on the 1st floor, but that was hardly an option because I used my tablet daily for several hours.
All in all my experience was positive and the pros made up for the few shortfalls.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Mildred R, Owner Services at Hollywood Beach Tower, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent very positive review. We are very glad that you have enjoyed your vacation with us. We always strive to make every guest feel at home since guests are always our first priority. You may wish to know that we have a planned complete renovation for all of our units, with upgrades to the kitchen (including dish washer), bathrooms (a shower stall in one), along with all of the living room and bedroom furniture. As to our wi-fi, although it is working, we have a planned upgrade for it as well. Please return to us as we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at Hollywood Beach Tower for four times, the staff and customer service is excellent, great rooms, nice view and excellent location, pool area is fantastic for kids too, I recommend this place to everyone that like enjoy a quiet environment and familiar vacations. Thank you guys. I'm going tomorrow Monday June 10, 2013 again for 6 days.My family rate is FIVE""""".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mildred R, Owner Services at Hollywood Beach Tower, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent very positive review. We are very glad that you have enjoyed your many vacations with us. We always strive to make every guest feel at home since guests are always our first priority. We look forward to seeing you again!
Arlington, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Good: Right on the Hollywood boardwalk, free (if very cramped) parking

Bad: Windows do NOT open, what good is it to stay ocean front if you cannot smell or feel the ocean breeze? WiFI was absolutely useless, weak signal that kept dropping. Furnishings were dated, which would have been OK but everything was shabby and in bad repair. Furniture missing knobs, burned counter in bathroom, blood-stained linens, gritty carpet, alarm with no cord, TV that didn't work properly, and so on. Felt like staying in an ultra cheap, sleazy motel. This is a timeshare & obviously the owners don't care about its upkeep. Signs touting a bar open every day ... never saw it open.

Ugly: Burned counter in bathroom, overall shabby appearance.

Room Tip: One side is ocean front, the other faces a parking structure.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mildred R, Owner Services at Hollywood Beach Tower, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We are disappointed that your stay was not up to your satisfaction as we always try to make every guest feel at home. Our windows do not open at they are hurricane windows. Here in south Florida hurricanes are a vivid reality so the windows were changed to protect our guests and owners. Our bar is a part of our activities department and either staff member would have been glad to get you whatever drink you wished. We do have a planned complete renovation for all of our units, with upgrades to the kitchen (including dish washer), bathrooms (a shower stall in one), along with all of the living room and bedroom furniture. We hope that you will return and visit with us again and let us make your stay an enjoyable one.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good hotel. Right on the beach, broadwalk. Free WiFi. Clean, great views. No bad issues at all. Small bars/Restaurants easy walk. Nice pool area. Windy and some rain while I was here, but a great time.

Room Tip: Request ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We wish to thank you for your recent review. Your satisfaction with your stay is always our first priority and it was nice to see that you had such a great visit. We hope that you will return to vacation with us again in the near future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We spent Mother's Day and my birthday weekend at Hollywood beach tower . The customer service was excellent . They truly work with you to accommodate your needs. I was impressed with The ocean view 1 bedroom apartment , it was very spacious and clean . Overall I highly recommend this hotel for family vacations. We will definitely be coming back .

• Stayed May 2013
Mildred R, Owner Services at Hollywood Beach Tower, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We wish to thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff strives to make every guest feel at home as guests are our first priority. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Because I had stayed at this resort last year, I chose it again. My prior visit was wonderful, because it was a comfortable stay...I can't say the same for this last visit. Yes, the beach is the best, the boardwalk lots of fun, the staff helpful, and the units clean (though un-renovated)...but if you desire Wifi access, you enjoy cooking, and you don't want to share one bed, beware.

There are three unit sizes, and I stayed in the smallest...that's probably why the kitchen was so tiny. No counter space...and I'm not kidding about this fact. The mini fridge is tucked under the counter and mine had no shelves in the door, which made the fridge nearly worthless as far as storing much...again, I'm not over-exaggerating. Washing dishes was annoying because it took a few minutes before hot water ran from the tap and there was no place to allow the dishes to air dry.

The sofa bed was uncomfortable for my friend, and the bed rested at an angle. Maybe kids would find the sofa bed acceptable, but an older adult or a couple might find this sleeping arrangement unacceptable due to the spartan, "springy" mattress.

There were other inconveniences regarding this particular unit (no working vents in bathrooms, a door which didn't lock, an unpleasant odor in the hallway outside the unit, and the fact that you could hear the whoosh of the two elevators through the unit walls), but a lack of Wifi was the most annoying to my friend and I. Though I was on vacation and I really didn't need to sit in front of a computer, my friend was house hunting, and she desperately needed the Wifi. Once or twice, I took the laptop into the hallway where it worked perfectly.

Bottom line, just be careful when choosing Hollywood Beach Tower if you absolutely need to cook in your unit, use Wifi, and need more than one bed. I know there are larger units (units 2 and 3) which might provide the type of comfort I had expected on my second visit to Hollywood Beach Tower. I now realize that I stayed in the largest of the units on my first visit.

Aside from these potential problems, also know that this resort is conveniently located to the airport, a very short drive to downtown Hollywood, and the resort sits on what I feel is a fabulous beach! The upper floors all have nice views (whether inland or ocean view). Though I haven't stayed in a "renovated" unit, I can vouch for their relative cleanliness. You might be able to find my other review from last year which I know rated this hotel much higher! I hate to rate this place as "Poor", but based on this particular trip, I feel my rating is honest. Don't be afraid to stay here if my "needs" aren't relevant to yours.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mildred R, Owner Services at Hollywood Beach Tower, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Hollywood Beach Tower. We are saddened that your stay was not up to your satisfaction as we always try to make every guest feel at home. We actually have only two unit sizes – the smaller ones are approximately 50 square feet smaller due to the elevator shaft. We do have extra mattresses for the sofa beds although you don’t state that you asked for one. We have a planned complete renovation for all of our units, with upgrades to the kitchen (including dish washer), bathrooms (a shower stall in one), along with all of the living room and bedroom furniture. As to our wi-fi, although it is working, we have a planned upgrade for it as well. Please return to us again and let us make your next vacation with us the best you have had!
Shelton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here April 8 thru the 10th, short stay but great.
This was our first stay at this hotel and we were very impressed. From the minute we pulled up to the front door the entire staff was very helpfull and friendly.
Our room had beautiful ocean view, was very spacious and clean, nice having two bathrooms and huge bedroom. The pool was awesome with nice view of beach.
Super close to beach and restaurants our favorate was O'Mallys there is also a nice coffee and sandwich shop in basement of hotel next door.
Don't know why anyone would have any complaints about this hotel we are looking forward to coming back!!

Room Tip: Our room was ocean view on 3rd floor close to elevator and still very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff always strives to make every guest feel at home since guests are our first priority. We look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Hollywood Beach Tower? Share your experiences!