“WONDERFUL - Sweet spot near the ocean” 5 of 5 stars

You added Villa Sinclair Beach Suites & Spa to your Saves list
Villa Sinclair Beach Suites & Spa
317 Polk Street, Hollywood, FL 33019   |
West Virginia
“WONDERFUL - Sweet spot near the ocean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

After returning from our cruise we needed somewhere to stay because our flight home did not leave until the next day. After reading all of the reviews and knowing the location, we decided to stay that the Villia Sinclair.
WOW- were we impressed! For the price and the location, you simply can not beat it!!! It is only a few steps from the ocean with PLENTY of things to do near. We didn't even need to get a rental car....IT WAS ALL THERE!
We loved it and would highly recommend it to our family and friends!

A Few Tips:
**Taxi from Villia Sinclair to Ft. Lauderdale Airport was $20.00
**Check in is at 3:00pm. (After getting back from our cruise we were there at 9:00am - but there was plenty to do on the beach & boardwalk. Simply call the owner and they will make plans for you to leave your luggage indoors so you dont' have to lug it around!)
**Make sure you bring your own bath supplies/snack food b/c you will end up paying if you use theirs! (READ ALL OF THEIR TERMS & CONDITIONS)
**They supplied 2 beach chairs for free

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We spent 5 weeks in Villa Sinclair in 2009. The location is great: 100 feet from the beach. But many items were very disappointing: the deco is just an accumulation of ugly bibelots, almost all of them being for sale! Don't take a suite on the ground floor if you don't like Cuban music: the owner loves it and the sound level is very very high. If you leave for a few days outside of Hollywood, don't tell the owner or he will take the opportunity not to change towels and sheets, with no benefit for you! The WiFi works fine in the bedroom but not in the living room, but you will be charged $15 per week anyway. The TV sets have "flat screens" but are not "flat TVs"! (don't mix up everything...). The supposedly free telephone did not work. No warm water was available in the washbowl and it took 2 weeks to fix it! The toaster was not working properly but the owner considered that as "not a big deal"!
And finally, don't trust the owner if he invites you for a glass of "his" Champagne: It's not Champagne! Just a bad Californian imitation.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

This place seemed nice upon arrival. They booked us into a wrong room, then moved us out. How uncomfortable. Told us they were going to move us again so we packed everything up for the 2nd time. Then they didnt move us out. What a drag to waste all that vacation time packing and waiting around to move... For our troubles they offered us a bottle of cheap $4.99 wine, (which they charge $12 for) we took the wine said thanks. They nickled and dimed us to death for every little thing including renting us bikes late at night, then charging us a full day when we couldnt even use them. Got home after vacation and thats when they take advantage of you and rack your bill up. They had charged us for 3 bottles of wine NONE of which we drank. Then on top of it all they had the audacity to charge us for sheets and blankets nightly? I have NEVER heard of that one? They then sent us snotty rude emails telling us about all of the free stuff they gave us (they put 2 little chocolates down nightly, none of which we ate), and how grateful we should feel. The only thing "free" was a headache. They are unorganized, have terrible communication skills, and are rude. Dont go here, and Dont give them your credit card!

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — owners
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Anchorage
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

This little hotel is all suites, each with it's own kitchen. The grounds are meticulously taken care of with plenty of greenery and privacy. There is a clean hot tub with lots of comfortable outside furniture. It is very quiet and comfortable. The hosts are very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — It was very close to the beach and the room was very large, quiet and fully equipped.
  • Disliked — The parking was iffy. We felt lucky to find a spot each evening in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

Most of the other posted reviews accurately hit the major points, both high and low.

The stuff for sale all over the apartment is really too much. It's as if Hughes can't decide whether he's running a store in which people can sleep, or a hotel.

While a few things for sale might be viewed as a convenience, (a) the prices are high and (b) there are plenty of real stores around in which one can purchase what one needs.

What bothered me more than the fact that way too much counter space and storage space was taken up with the chazerei that's for sale are the constant reminders that the stuff is for sale, and the price lists. When I'm on vacation, I want to relax, not constantly be bombarded with "buy me, buy me" messages.

Even worse, however, was the nickel-and-diming final bill I received after I left. I was charged $15 for telecommunications (or similar) even though I never used the phone or the fax. It seems that when I logged on to the wireless internet, which the hotel advertises as "free," I made the mistake of logging on to the hotel's wireless network instead of the city's wireless network. Only the latter is free.

Also, I was charged a small fee for the use of the linen on which my children slept (on the futon-type bed in the living room). While "kids stay free," that apparently would only be if they bring there own sheets.

When I protested these charges -- I hate being nickeled-and-dimed -- I got nowhere. It appears that Huges would rather be $25 or so to the good than keep a customer happy. I really dislike that kind of arrogance.

Would I stay there again? Probably not, unless I needed to stay at Hollywood Beach and could not find any other accommodation.

It's unfortunate. Hughes did a nice job of rennovating what was an old house that had deteriorated into low-end apartments. The place is cute, convenient, and comfortable. It only he would now renovate his attitude and realize that the customer is (almost) always right, and that there is no need to nickel-and-dime people.

• Liked — comfortable and good location.
  • Disliked — Too much stuff for sale in the apartment, and getting nickeled-and-dimed with small charges after checkout.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2007

We loved the location, just a couple of steps from the beach, and we might go back when we return to Hollywood. There were, however, a lot of problems.

The apartment was FULL of things for sale. The refrigerator was so full of wine and soft drinks that there was barely room for our food. There were constant reminders about what we could buy and what we should pay, even a one page instruction on how much to tip the maid.

The kitchen was unusable, so we ate all our meals out. The counter space was too small and was completely used up by the microwave and coffee maker.

The bathtub faucets were so complicated that after eight days I could still not predict what would happen when I turned the right or left faucet.

The wireless internet did not work inside the apartment, but there was an ethernet connection in the corner of the bedroom. Mostly I did my computer stuff outside after dark; the seating was closer to the wireless router. It was pleasant enough and I had the courtyard to myself, sharing it only with a neighbour's cat (who was not about to give me his lawn chair).

All that said, the place could be fun. There is an open pit where you can burn a firelog ($5.00), an outdoor grill, a sauna and hot tub, bicycles for rent ($60.00 per week), and several places to sit.

The beach and boardwalk are less than a block away. If you are sunning on the beach, it is quite easy to come back to use the bathroom.

There are some good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, including Chez Andree, where the food is fabulous and a wonderful pizza place whose name I can't remember.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Constant small reminders that I should buy things
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kitchener, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

I've been going to the Villa Sinclair regularly for work. It's a cute and unique hotel that has some up's and downs, but I keep coming back, and I'm kind of picky.

The good things:
- Nice pineapple when you arrive.
- You get free bottles of wine.
- Very quaint (no front desk or lobby).
- Close to the beach (150 feet to water).
- Close to many restaurants (Opa is cool).
- Very private and quiet.

The funny things:
- It's been mentioned before, but there's some cheezy stuff like 'disco lights'.
- I *like* the red satin sheets. Why not?
- No lobby -sometimes you have to wait to get help.

The not so good:
- Noisy air conditioners.
- Weird controls in the shower.
- Toilets run a little.
- Poor internet connectivity.

I like it because it's close to work, close to water, and a very relaxing place to stay. It's pretty affordable, and the people are good. It's not the cleanest place, but it's fine. The patio is great. The hot tub has always been very clean.

If I could change just two things: better Internet connectivity and quieter air conditioners.

The owners are good folks

• Liked — Very private. Feels like a home, not a hotel. Service.
  • Disliked — Poor internet connectivity.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the wine tasting and meet other guests.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Villa Sinclair Beach Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!