“We loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Desoto Inn

You added The Desoto Inn to your Saves list
The Desoto Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   315 Desoto Street, Hollywood, FL 33019 (Formerly The Desoto Oceanview Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 26 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Pompano, Florida
“We loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

By happenstance, we found the DeSoto. We travel to Southeast Florida (from Baltimore) regularly for the beach and to visit family. The Desoto stood out as a charming, attractive place to stay. We will return.
Steve, our host, couldn't have been nicer and made us feel so very welcome. It was very clean, something we care about. Every morning we woke up to having our breakfast and the fresh coffee provided looking out at the wonderful colors of the gardens and to the sound of the little ponds. Also, we loved the occasional bird calls, which were not loud or annoying, just added that little extra, interesting touch.
Our bed was super comfortable. We were glad to have the dvd player, wish there was HBO, but hey, nothing's perfect.
Hardly a walk to the beach, it was just steps away and the use of beach chairs,umbrellas and bikes, what more could you want?
My hubby and I are delighted with our find. I read the few negative comments on here and wonder what place they are talking about.
The DeSoto was quiet, clean, comfortable, beautiful landscaping and well worth the price. Our host was the best.
We've stayed at lots of different kinds of places in the Hollywood/Pompano area over the years and there were a few cheaper, a few with things we like, i.e. pools/hot tubs/health centers/restaurants. But, for the money, we think the DeSoto has a nice combo of things we must have...clean, comfort, closeness to beach, attractive, right price and the extras make it worth going back. So we will be doing that as soon as we can.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

This was my second stay at the DeSoto and it will not be my last! The inn is like no other. I can't say enough good about it. From the proprietor Steve, to the great rooms, to the '100 steps" to the beach...wonderful.

The units are immaculate, the decor tasteful. My first stay was in a studio, nice but a bit small. I upgraded to an efficiency this trip and it was well worth the extra few dollars.

I found the Desoto on the internet in July, 2007 and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I knew this was the place for me. My first visit in September of 2007 was great but my vist earlier this month far surpassed the first visit.

If you're looking for a place to stay that is friendly, quiet, non-smoking, close to the beach, CLEAN, well equipped kitchen, with a beautiful garden (with lots of butterflies), BBQ grill, along with internet access, this is it!

I highly recommend the Desoto to anyone looking for the perfect place to stay. I do however think people with young children and those looking for a pool or a party environment, may be happier in a motel closer to the Boardwalk. The North end of Hollywood Beach is quiet and secluded. Hope it stays that way.

In reading some of the other reviews I would like to add that the air conditioning was working fine, the water was hot and who needs a pool when the ocean is steps away!

Rent a car as there are no grocery stores within reasonable walking distance.

My complements to Steve and his staff . See you next time!

Eileen from Massachusetts

• Liked — clean, friendly, safe accommodation
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

The title says it all for me! I stayed at the Desoto for one week in Efficiency E. Wish it was a month!!

Folks, everything that has been stated in previous positive reviews is true. I had no problem with the AC( per one previous reviewer) and trust me, the end of June is hot in Florida!!

This place is a gem! The room was immaculate. I could eat off of the floor if I wanted to that's just how clean my room was!!

OK, details:

The efficiency apartments at the Inn are all ground level with terrazzo flooring. Furniture speaks Florida rattan to you. My unit had a King sized bed with 4 big pillows( 2 more in the closet), a sleeper sofa( Full Size, I think), Cable TV, DVD/CD Player stereo, On site Wifi access, Kitchen area with full appliances ( sorry, no dishwasher, but sponge, dish washing soap and dish towels are supplied), dinette seating for 4, walk-in closet, shower ( no bath) with soap, shampoo. For long term guests, leave your dirty towels on a chair outside your room and they are replaced ( Monday, Wednesday & Friday). One parking space per unit( clearly marked).

In essence, all I needed to bring was clothes and whatever food I wanted to eat or when lazy, I took a short drive down A1A to multiple restaurants. The Dania Beach pier is approximately 1/2 mile walk away. The beach is exactly as one previous reviewer said, " walk out of your unit, turn east, walk 100 steps and you are on the sand."

Outside of the rooms, the landscaping is beautiful! There are complimentary bikes ( with locks) and beach chairs. Two beach towels are in your room. There are chairs outside your door to sit and relax.

No smoking on the property, which I loved, but no problem since the beach is so close for any smokers.

Steve, the proprietor is great! He is fun to speak with and will go out of his way to make you feel welcome!

You should know that there are no phones ( and my AT&T wireless service was poor in the room) in the rooms, so if you are looking to tune out the world, you most certainly can!

Hollywood Beach is a great location, since it is close to many restaurants, entertainment and shopping.

Most of all though, the Desoto Oceanview is a treasure! I just can't tell you how great it was, you have to experience it for yourself.

Excellent!!

• Liked — Clean, quiet and proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — Not one thing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Out west in the Rockies
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Desoto Inn is perfect for those looking for some peace, quiet and comfort in an ideal climate far away from hustle and bustle. We stayed the week of May 10-17th which is considered transient - or off-season, but the weather was just fine. The inn is located North of the Hollywood boardwalk and is separated from the "condo/hotel alley" by the Hollywood North beach park. This is particularly advantageous when hitting the beach (steps away from the property) since you have most of the beach to yourself. Evenings are very quiet with only the sounds of the ocean and the ocean breeze, punctuated by the occasional scurrying of cats. In several ways the atmosphere resembles the quiet neighborhoods in Key West.

Virtually everything about this place is beyond satisfactory. We booked an efficiency for our stay and found our room to be immaculate. All the amenities for a comfortable worry-free stay are included in addition to thoughtful decoration. The kitchen is equipped for cooking proper meals with ease. The bougainvillea garden in the front yard with bamboo shelters is perfect for a enjoying a meal outside or just lazing with a book. The entire property is smoke-free, but we didn't find this to be a hassle at all since we just went to the beach with our makeshift ashtray and sat on the bench there with some wine in the evenings to enjoy smoking.

Steve, the person who operates the place, has put a lot of effort into making this place absolutely fabulous. He resides on the property and was always available and helpful throughout our entire stay and made sure we had everything we needed. His attention to detail in maintaining the property and keeping guests comfortable is one thing that struck us immediately.

Although located less than 15 mins away from FLL airport, we decided to get a rental car and this was definitely very helpful in making grocery runs (Winn-dixie and Publix are 10 mins away). Also if you feel like going out in the evenings, the nightlife in Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood is within minutes of driving.

We'll definitely be returning to the Desoto many times in the future!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

What a find! Off the beaten path but close enough to the Broadwalk. Only five minutes by bike which are free for use by the guests. The beach is 100 steps away and is almost private. The best part is Steve, the guy in charge. He goes out of his way to make sure all of your needs are met. He provided assistance whenever asked. The Inn is immaculate and has a charm about it. We're planning to go back and visit Steve again soon. Make sure you say hi to Joey the 60 year old parrott.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Parsippany NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

We stayed here during the week of December 3rd. We could not have asked for a nicer time. The owner, Steve and his hard working assistant, Marie Danielle, made sure that we had everything we would need. Steve provides great beach towels, chairs, umbrellas and bikes for guests. Marie Danielle provides the cleanest accommodations that we have ever been in. There is a great beach basically right outside the door, a very nice park a few blocks away for walking, biking and in line skating. Steve is a wealth of information regarding restaurants, places of interest, etc. We would highly recommend this place to friends and will be returning again next year.

• Liked — good location, very clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
NORTH MIAMI BEACH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

i wanted to stay on the beach for the weekend and was pleased to stay at the desoto oceanview inn..the room was cozy and clean and the location was perfect.."steve"..the hotel's operator was very friendly and helpful..he recomended we have dinner at a local restaurant and was right on!....my weekend on the beach was perfect...i only wish the weekend was longer..i did not want to go home!!!.....i cant wait to return!!......

• Liked — the friendliness of staff and overall hotel ambiance
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Desoto Inn? Share your experiences!