“Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ataraxia by the Sea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Ataraxia by the Sea
301 Jackson Street, Hollywood, FL 33019-2016   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Jasper, Alabama USA
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Hollywood by the Sea is now "Ataraxia" after Dean bought the property back (he sold in 2007 and bought it back in March 2009). We stayed at Ataraxia in November, 2010 and loved it. Dean and Lori made us feel at home. The room (Everglades Suite) was eclectic, roomy, and comfortable. Dean's casual poolside breakfasts were just right - eggs (however you want), bacon, fruit, pancakes, juice, coffee. What impressed us the most was Dean's hospitality; he made us feel at home; he went out of his way to go get my wife a bike helmet (to ride his personal bikes); he went out in the pouring rain on our departure day get us a cab after the cab we had called failed to show, making sure we got out on time. The hotel is perfectly located steps from the broadwalk; the pool is a heavenly oasis; we are booking a second stay and will stay with Dean and Lori whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

I had to find a place in a hurry to stay a few nights before we could get a plane home. There was a Mardi Gras celebration on the beach, and what better place to be if we're stuck in FL than on the beach right? I didn't expect to find any open rooms at a decent rate, and called around without much luck. I spotted this B&B on my list but kept calling other places. Well, my girlfriend likes B&Bs so why not? Mike answered, room is available, right price, just steps to the beach, come on down. "You don't need a credit card to hold the room? No, just come on in."

We dropped off our bags and went for a walk down the beach broadwalk to find some dinner at a place Mike suggested. We stayed out longer than expected, but had no problem arriving “home” late. Breakfast the next morning was delicious; much better than I make at home and worth the stay on its own. Ours was a cozy room on the corner of the house so we opened the windows to let the breeze off the beach and the sound of the waves wash through.

The place was quiet during the day and evening even with a lot of other people staying there. We had good conversation over breakfast and Mimosas the next morning as we met some of the folks that were staying there. Mike and Diane must attract good people.

How’s the service? As soon as we got through security at the airport I realized I’d left something kind of large and awkward on the bed. No problem, Mike graciously figured out how to box it up and get it to me.

It’s a beautiful place with beautiful people, good food, great location, and I look forward to staying more than a couple of days next time.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
ny, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We had a wedding to attend in Hollywood and chose to stay at a B&B to experience beach life in Hollywood during our off time. We arrived so late (probably 11pm by the time we picked up our rental car) but Mike and Diane greated us warmly and showed us around (stayed in the Marguerite room.). Everything was decorated for the holidays - ornaments on the palm trees, santa in shorts and flip flops, etc - which was so funny coming from chilly NY. Our room was comfortable and private. Mike and Diane made us feel so welcome and it was so nice to chat with them and other guests over the most delicious breakfasts. The B&B was right next to the beach and boardwalk, but set back just enough so that we weren't disturbed by noise. There were lots of comfy chairs and tables in the patio/pool area to read and relax in the morning before heading out. Our hosts had good recommendations for restaurants and also for things to do like some local kayaking. The wedding we attended was held at the nearby Westin and we were so glad to be able to come back to a much more personal, authentic place each night rather than staying on site. The scene was friendly and social; we tend to go to sleep on the early side and our hosts and other guests were respectful of quieting down at night at a decent hour. Very relaxing and homey, we had a great time.

Stayed December 2008
land o lakes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

We had a wonderful experience this weekend. tremendous
breakfasts by Mike, an incredible feeling of being welcome.
We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We stayed at the Hollywood by the sea B and B for 3 nights. We arrived later at night about 8pm and had no problems checking in. We loved every part of our stay. The room was great, the beach was perfect, and the breakfasts were the best. We didn't have to eat another meal until late afternoon. The beach in Hollywood is big and beautiful. There is a boardwalk on the beach with restaurants and shops. The locals are friendly and you are only minutes away from Ft Lauderdale or Miami. The beach and outdoor pool was great for swimming also. The room was clean and had everything we needed. The innkeepers were friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing that I can think of!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Hollywood by the Sea Bed and Breakfast for our first year Anniversary.

The home is warm and inviting just like the host and hostess. I was not aware of the fact that we would be getting breakfast made to order..which by the way if you don't like omelettes, pancakes or french toast you will after tasting Mike's. He has a magic touch with food that CAN NOT be described, but MUST BE experienced!! I believe I even heard the coffee beans being grinded freash every morning!

Talking at the table while we ate felt like minutes and we both realized later that we actually spent about 2 hours every morning just talking at the table....now if that is not just like being at home I don't know what is?!

Dianne's warmth and friendliness is projected throughout the home with her unique decorating and design skills. She has a flair that is both homey and distinct.

They both are down to earth people and when you leave you feel like you are leaving old friends. Hopefully we will meet on the dance floor at Flamingo and Taft!!!

I would suggest and recommend to anyone who lives in the immediate area and needs time to get away from the everyday grind to try heading for the beach even if only for a weekend. We have everything right in our own backyard and Hollywood Bed and Breakfast is just the place to go.

All in all it was a GREAT, WONDERFUL, CHARMING, WARMING stay. I am looking forward to June when my husband and I will be returning for my birthday!!!

P.S. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MIKE AND DIANE! May you have a lifetime of love and happiness.

Yvette and David Humphrey

• Liked — Too many things to choose one.
  • Disliked — There was nothing we did not like.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
yachtstew282
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

When my boyfriend and I arrived at HBTS, Mike greeted us at the door with a smile and "You're Home!" Did I mention that it was 9:30 on a Friday night? We never once felt like we were inconveniencing anyone as Mike took us straight to our room and did not worry with registering us that night.

The next morning, I lingered at the breakfast table with Mike and Diana enjoying their company and some incredible apple pancakes! Again, I felt that they had nothing better to do than to hang out with me. It was great! The next morning, Mike and my boyfriend (a chef) cooked an omelet together while I chatted at the kitchen table with Diana and Mike's mother.

Not only was the service warm and welcoming, the rooms were cozy and quaint. The air conditioning was rather strong, but in South Florida, that's a MUST! Our room, the Marguerite, was sweetly decorated with a homey quilt and antiques. The bathroom was romantic and spacious. The pictures really don't do this property justice!

Mike and Diana were fantastic hosts. Their home was my home for the weekend, and I can't wait to visit them again!

• Liked — the warm, homey atmosphere allowed me to relax and enjoy myself
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything that I didn't like... everything was fantastic!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ataraxia by the Sea? Share your experiences!