“Ataraxia - Exactly what I was hoping for!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ataraxia by the Sea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Ataraxia by the Sea
Save Saved
You added Ataraxia by the Sea to your Saves list
301 Jackson Street, Hollywood, FL 33019-2016   |
Ranked #6 of 25 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Pacific NW
“Ataraxia - Exactly what I was hoping for!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I did a ton of reading and research before picking this B&B. We were traveling for the first time from the West Coast to Fr. Lauderdale. I had to travel to see a doctor, the trip was going to be hard, and we wanted to find a clean and comfy place to stay where we could enjoy a little beach time, have a little quiet time and make the best of this difficult trip.

Ataraxia (Hollywood by the Sea) exceeded my hopes and gave us some great memories!

My first contact with Dean, the owner, was by phone. He was very upbeat and took my reservation. We were traveling in May, so he told me we would be missing the more crowded winter travel. I was hoping for beach and quiet so that sold me!

We arrived after dark, and the directions we were given were perfect! Easy drive from Ft. Lauderdale airport! I called him and told him we had arrived and he let us in and showed us to our room. I was very happy to find a very clean room and bathroom. Having just come from the airport, Dean went and grabbed us several water bottles from his own stock. We had a little fridge, tv, air conditioning (which we hardly used because we had come from the cold NW and enjoyed the heat and humidity) and internet access.

We stayed in The Marguerite room and it was tucked in the back with as much quiet and privacy as we could want! It had a nice little patio - great bathroom, plenty of room for the two of us. It is decorated a bit different than the pictures on the website and the bed has been moved, but I like the set up even better than in the pictures!

We had space to unpack our backpacks and Dean asked us what time we would like breakfast. In the morning, there he was, waiting for us at the table next to the pool with a huge plate of fresh fruit. He gave us some options and set up our breakfast and then headed out for his walk and my husband and I had a leisurely breakfast by the pool.

Ataraxia is just steps from the beach. I am mobile, but can't walk far, and this was perfect. We were provided with towels and chairs and any beach items we could think of. He even offered sunscreen! This was fantastic as sunscreen is hard to take on an airplane if you're only taking carry on luggage.

We loved the beach! It was clean, and not crowded at all this time of year! The water was warm and you could wade out quite ways. The broadwalk was beautiful and we did take a walk down a little ways. There were quite a few people, yet not at all crowded and it felt very safe. But many shops are empty and closed. This did not bother us as we were not there to shop anyway. There are several cafe's and bars along the broadwalk.

I took a dip in the mineral pool to cool off and it was really nice. They also have an outdoor shower on the patio to wash off sand before heading to the room. Dean offered us a tour of the other rooms, but we ran out of time. But it doesn't really matter because we loved our room and would choose it again next year.

The second morning, we had to get up early to get to the doctors appointment. Dean sat with us for breakfast, and I really enjoyed his stories about living in Florida and hurricanes etc. Unfortunately, we had to rush off to the appointment, or I would have tried to keep him chatting while I sat and enjoyed the sun!

The third morning we hadn't arranged a breakfast time. We got up early and went to the beach and when we returned, breakfast was waiting for us on the table outside our room. He had cooked us some fantastic omelets, and potatoes and more fresh fruit. It was all covered, set up on our little table and still warm! Did he watch for us to be walking back??? In addition, I had been collecting shells on the beach and Dean saw my little collection and left 3 big beautiful shells with our breakfast for me to take home! What a great host!!!

This is not a place for those looking for luxury and fancy dining. It's like a home away from home - just what I was looking for! The breakfast items are all kept in a cabinet outdoors and we were able to help ourselves to anything we needed. Dean even went out the first day and bought black tea for us because we are morning tea drinkers.

What more can I say? I'm already looking forward to our trip next year... only because I'm looking forward to my stay at Ataraxia. I'm not a "luxury" vacationer, but I am also not a camper/rough it type person. I like comfortable, clean, quiet, friendly. That's just what I got!

Oh... I will add that we met Lori and she is lovely and friendly too. Next trip, I hope to save up and get a massage from Lori!

I guess the last thing I can say is that Ataraxia represents it's name well; "a state of tranquility free from anxiety and emotional disturbance".

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Haverhill,Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My wife & I arrived at Ataraxia & were met by Dean, we felt like we had known him for a long time. He is an accomodating & gracious individual. The inn is a wonderful place to relax, no pretenses allowed here. All the guests mingle at breakfast & around the pool. Dean is like the " Godfather " giving advice,suggesting & recommending restaurants- sights - short trips. He takes care of his guests on a individual basis, everybody feels like they are staying at a friends house. He has great stories about south Florida the past, present & future. Dean is a generous soul, he enjoys helping others. We missed his other half, Lori, she was away on a trip. We heard wonderful things about her & look forward to getting to know her when vacation there again in June. We recommend this place wholeheartedly. Paulie From Boston,Ma

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We arrived to the place with a geat welcoming by both Dean and Lori. We were quickly escorted to our room. We were in the tree tops which was an amazing qaint room on the second floor with a semi private balcony. The room had high ceilings and great charm. The bedding was neat and clean and the closet and storage space was amazing. The bathroom was huge with plenty of towels.

The grounds were very islandy and had a great floridan charm to it. The pool was very warm and very nice. Dean provides everything you need for the beach which is approx. 15 feet from the building. Towels, beach chairs, a cooler with ice and anything else you would need. The hosts are so accomodating but also so laid back that you can come and go as you please. Dean provides breakfast in the morning which ranges from: Fruit, yogurt, cereal, and an occassional hot item freshly made (I.e french toast or pancakes). Each Morning you would join the rest of the guests and share stories and become a sorta family.

The broadwalk is 30 seconds a away and provides unbelievable morning walks. It stretchs the entire length of the beach and is just great to see so many walking in the morning. The broadwalk also provides ample bars and dining options to meet anyones needs. The place seems to never shut down and has great bargains on 2 4 1 specials and cheap drafts. The trolley will take you to downtown Hollywood which was a great surprise. It cost a dollar and breaks you right to downtown offering amazing food and good bars. The broadwalk also offers and band shell will live music M, T, W. It is a great fun to people watch.

Overall our mini vacation was a great getaway for some nice R&R on the beach. The sun was shining everday and the beach was awesome. Dean was the best host and had some great stories of the past. Dean ended up giving us a ride to the airport on our last day which was such a great help. The whole trip was just so much fun that we want to book again. I would recommend anyone looking for the beach right out your door and the broadwalk to stay here. You will no regret it cant wait to return!

Room Tip: book early rooms go quick
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

From the moment we arrived on a Saturday till the point when we begrudgingly left on Wednesday, we felt 100% at home. What an incredible place. The hosts Dean and Lori have the perfect personalities to be doing what they do. Very kind, relaxed, and helpful. From Dean's Omelets every morning, to the comfy beds and the warm mineral pool, it's the little things that made our stay so wonderful. We hope to return!
Laura & Quinn, Columbus, Ohio

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Olney, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We stayed at Ataraxia by the Sea (formerly Hollywood by the Sea) for four nights in January. The room was spotless, the location amazing and the owners were great. If you are looking for a formal B&B, this is not your place. If you want to be treated like you are home, this is the place for you. Dean and Lori are wonderful laid-back hosts. You truly are steps from the broadwalk, the outside pool area is beautiful and one will want to sit there for hours. Umbrellas and beach chairs are available for your use. Dean and Lori ensure your stay is trouble-free. We'll stay there again if our travels ever bring us back to Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood, FL. .

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This was a terrific location, with comfortable accommodations, serene surroundings, that only paled to the great service provided by hosts, Dean and Lori. Our hosts instinctively know what makes for a great stay and it was apparent that they were tireless in ensuring our comfort and enjoyment. The location is literally steps to the beach... a lot of place say this, but this one delivers. We'd definitely love to stay here again and again, if we are lucky enough to synch up with available rooms! We previewed all the rooms and they are all winners. We had the privacy of the Margarite! Very cozy and private, right off the pool.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Jasper, Alabama USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Hollywood by the Sea is now "Ataraxia" after Dean bought the property back (he sold in 2007 and bought it back in March 2009). We stayed at Ataraxia in November, 2010 and loved it. Dean and Lori made us feel at home. The room (Everglades Suite) was eclectic, roomy, and comfortable. Dean's casual poolside breakfasts were just right - eggs (however you want), bacon, fruit, pancakes, juice, coffee. What impressed us the most was Dean's hospitality; he made us feel at home; he went out of his way to go get my wife a bike helmet (to ride his personal bikes); he went out in the pouring rain on our departure day get us a cab after the cab we had called failed to show, making sure we got out on time. The hotel is perfectly located steps from the broadwalk; the pool is a heavenly oasis; we are booking a second stay and will stay with Dean and Lori whenever we are in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Ataraxia by the Sea? Share your experiences!