“Great Resort, Loved the Pool and Beach access” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Diplomat Resort & Spa Hollywood, Curio Collection by Hilton

You added Diplomat Resort & Spa Hollywood, Curio Collection by Hilton to your Saves list
Diplomat Resort & Spa Hollywood, Curio Collection by Hilton
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   3555 South Ocean Drive, Hollywood, FL 33019 (Formerly Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Rates From $179
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Hollywood
Bangalore, India
“Great Resort, Loved the Pool and Beach access”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Stayed at this resort while attending a conference earlier this year. I had a wonderful room with a lovely view of the ocean and the swimming pools. The room was very nice. Large screen TV, Free Starbucks Coffee (Though I am more of Dunkin Donut guy), A great view from the bathroom tub into the ocean, very soft and comfortable beds etc. The staff were pretty friendly and efficient too even though the hotel was pretty full at this time. The fitness center was really nice and there seemed to be a lot of activities to engage kids especially if you are there with a family. The Pools are definitely an attraction, they have 2 large pools that are kind of laid on top of each other with the one on top having a glass floor (looks awesome). Access to beach is also convenient. The property is also well connected to the downtown area through some public transport - they have a Hollywood trolley ride that comes up every 1/2 hour.
On the negative side, the food, especially vegetarian food is atrocious. I have had good vegetarian food in many places in the states, in fact I have had hotels go out of the way to cater to an Indian demographic but this place just was pathetic. Nothing they served as vegetarian was remotely good. I unfortunately left one of my clothing and a belt in the room when I checked out, when I finally contacted the hotel they insisted that I pay for shipping the clothing, which I politely declined given that I could buy a lot more clothes with the cost of shipping. However I found it weird that they would charge me for shipping given the amount of business my company had thrown at them. Similar incident recently in India and the hotel shipped it overnight to me free of charge (There you go, third wold 1 - developed nation 0).

Room Tip: Get a room that is beach facing.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Nice overall appearance with lovely view and pool. Right on beach. Starbucks coffee in room was a bonus. 24 room service.

Checkin was very slow and room service dinner was extremely bad and overpriced. A serving of baby carrots were $5 and included 5 dried and green carrots and the brocollini was one connected bunch (boiled with no flavour). Asked for a king size room on booking and still got put in a double room.

Very poor location, no other restaurants or shops within a 5 mile radius. Therefore only stay if you are willing to get a cab or drive to dinner. They have a steakhouse over the road which is $32 for what tastes like boiled steak. Cheap coronas at the grill were good however.

• Stayed November 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent 3 nights at the Westin Diplomat. My mother in law got a superior room, even though a deluxe had been booked. we received the booked category - She got upgraded only the next day (without any apologies). the rooms have a decent size and very comfy beds!!! the hotel itself is very clean and luxurious, the pool is amazing - and immediately on the beach; very nice. the hotel is unfortunately far away from everything. upon check out (the hotel had become Hilton meanwhile), we were charged both rooms even though we already had paid them to our travel agent. we are still waiting to get our money back !!! as nice as the hotel was, as inefficient was the service - be it breakfast, restaurant or front desk - very disappointed for this category

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Diplomat Resort @ Spa; formerly a Westin, now Hilton was a great place to hold and attend a convention in South Florida. During previous visits, the hotel sparkled, everything was bright, neat and looked perfect. The rooms were clean, linens starched, etc.
This visit, that was just not the case. Maybe it's just the transition from Westin to Hilton. Whatever it is, there is just not that attention to detail anymore. My room: first impression; dust everywhere and worn carpet. I sat down at the desk and the phone was covered in dust. In the bathroom, two light bulbs were out. When I woke up in the morning and wanted to make coffee, there was already water in the coffee machine. Since o didn't know how long the water had been sitting there, I asked housekeeping for a new coffee maker. All they did was dump the water.
As for the rest of the hotel, everything is expensive. The quality of the food does not equal prices charged.
A few years ago, this was an amazing hotel. They have very little competition for huge events in the area. Hopefully the quality of service returns to what it once was.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Valencia, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was very well treated by the person in charge of our meeting; by staff who helped us with food and a very good recivi attention upon arrival. Excellent Hotel with beatuifull pool and excellent location.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton

Ft Lauderdale, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I really wavered between a 3 and 4 star review for this newly minted Hilton property. My original booking was done while this was still a Starwood property. I was excited to learn that Hilton had acquired the Diplomat and re-booked through Hilton. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member which attest to my brand loyalty. At check-in there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of my honors being on file.When I asked if my number was on file she acknowledged it was. I then asked about the breakfast vouchers and was told breakfast was only available for Diamond members. I indicated I had confirmed that the Curio collection was supposed to include breakfast for both Gold and Diamond and offered to show her on the website. I was finally given access to the lounge.

Upon being assigned my room I asked if it was away from the elevators and ice machine as it shows in my profile. She said she did not notice the profile and offered nothing more than an apology. After 3 request to change rooms she continued to say none was available in that category, only after I asked to speak with a manager was she able to find a room.

Based on the quality of the room and property I would have given the hotel 4 stars but the 2 things that made me downgrade the rating were:

1 The awful, overpriced and terrible menu selections at the restaurant by the pool. (This hotel has a captive audience as there is nothing really walkable)

2 The difficulty in extending my checkout as was originally promised when booked through Starwood.

You guys are now Hilton, please act the part.

Room Tip: On low floors that are beachfront you can smell food from the large kitchen hood. Try to get a highe...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Relations Manager at Diplomat Resort & Spa Hollywood, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Mitchell G,

We appreciate your feedback from your recent visit to our resort and would like to apologize for any inconveniences you had encountered with your Hilton Honors Gold member benefits and extended check-out request you had through Starwood. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate managers as we are looking for ways to enhance our guest services daily at our resort. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again for another relaxing getaway.

Karianne
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This is one of the most amazing properties in South Florida. It is expansive. It is beautiful. It is secluded in a great location. It has most of everything a family or a business needs. It was all inclusive in terms of services and conveniences.
My family visited this property at least once a year for 12 years. We had years when stayed 2-3 times. My kids learned to swim in the infinity pool. It became like home away from home. I brought family from Europe, friends from all over and business colleagues. We got to know staff and we absolutely had a great time.
This property just became a Curio by Hilton.
This is the demise of a Iconic Westin. I saw this coming for a long time. Actually, I even stated this in previous reviews.
This property was built by a union trust with union money. Since it was the union money they were very liberal with everything: large open spaces, large conference center, huge parking building and empty shopping center. Rooms instead were mediocre.
No wonder the project cost over $800,000,000.00. Union money. It sold last week for a mere $535,000,000.00. It included the hotel, conference center, shopping and parking center, the empty lots, the golf course and country club, etc.
Starwood offered outstanding service and management. The resort was an absolute destination. The Diplomat and Country Club was exclusive. The spa was amazing. The Links restaurant was great - a place where you rubbed shoulders with celebrities. The beach resort was breathtaking and the pool was one of the best. The executive club just gave you an upscale feeling. The view on both sides was absolutely spectacular.However, the last few years I witnessed the gradual demise. The union trust refused to invest in the upkeep and after the financial crisis started to cut corners, reduced services and displayed a union-like arrogance. It led to the closing of the exclusive Diplomat Resort at the Country Club. They moved the spa to the beach resort which was necessarily a bad move. The pool area was neglected and chairs and the covers were outdated and dirty. The new towel policy was similar to neighborhood cheap motels. Executive Club became so frugal that it was not worth to visit, except for the view.
It was time for some investment in updating.
Now, the Thayer Trust states that it will invest $100 million in this property.

This is a bitter loss for Starwood. It was a stellar Westin. This is not the only loss for Starwood,. There is a trend in South Florida for them. They lost the Atlantic (a Luxury Collection property) and St. Regis (now a Ritz) in Ft. Lauderdale and Le Meridien in Sunny Isle. Whar's next?
I was happy that I was able to visit the Westin Diplomat one last time in October to say a teary good bye.
With sadness we anounce the Demise of the Iconic Diplomat

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Diplomat Resort & Spa Hollywood, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!