“Inconsistent Quality!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Ottawa
“Inconsistent Quality!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I will start this review by saying that this hotel is simply beautiful. The location on the beach is stunning. The pools and pool decks are stunning. The lobby and public areas are absolutely beautiful. The rooms are amazing - we had a city facing view, although ocean view would be my preference. You have a huge bathroom with both a shower and a soaker tub. There is also a shutter system that can be closed or opened from the bath area so you can soak and watch tv at the same time. We ate at the sports bar across the street from the hotel and the service and food were fantastic. The beds are super comfortable and plenty of pillows and soft comforters. In the morning we ate at the grab and go cafe and the coffee and muffins were excellent.

Now for the not so good parts of our stay. Although the pools are beautiful the cleanliness around the pools leaves a lot to be desired. After spending a week on a cruise and coming to this hotel - it sure makes you appreciate how much care is taken to keeping the ships clean while you are cruising. You always see someone cleaning up! This is not the case for this hotel. There was litter everywhere around the pool area. Some of this is a result of people not taking care to look after their own messes but this is also the fault of the hotel in not having enough service personnel around to clean. We did see one young man cleaning but his total lack of interest in the process was difficult to watch. He only carried a small broom with a dustpan which he tried to use as a personal garbage container. On more than one occasion he dumped fluids from the drink containers into the gardens around the pool. There were birds around the pool helping themselves to the left overs that were laying around the pool.

Now to the other problem that we had while at the hotel. When we checked in we told them that we would be using self parking and we were charged a flat rate of $20 for the night which was added to our hotel bill. I was told at the time that the parking ticket we would get when parking could be thrown away as the key card would allow us to exit the garage. We requested two room keys at check-in. One of the keys never worked - we didn't bother to replace it as we were only there one night. I checked out of the hotel in the morning and confirmed how to exit the garage and was told that our key card would allow us to exit the garage. We tried both key cards in the garage and neither card would work and we did try multiple directions etc to ensure that it was or was not working - neither card would allow us to exit. We tried to both gates and we tried to get help by pushing the help button - nothing. We then found our parking ticket from the previous night and put it in the card reader - thank goodness we didn't throw it away. $20 to exit please - then tried our credit card - it wouldn't work. Finally we found $20 in cash and put it in the reader - now we were able to exit. However, at this point I wanted a receipt so I could request a refund from the hotel but it wouldn't give us a receipt! Great so now we've paid twice and have no proof either by a CC charge or a receipt. We were in a rush to get to the airport so did not have the chance to go back and discuss this immediately. I have since sent two emails, completed a survey and made a phone call to the hotel and I have not heard back from them. I did wait to complete this review in hopes that I would have a chance to give them a favourable review regarding service but unfortunately at this time I don't.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Experience Specialist at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear ToodlesCA,
I am extremely sorry this was your experience upon checking out of our resort. If you contact me directly at karianne.arsenault@westin.com with your reservation details, I will ensure a credit for the daily parking is returned to your account.
Karianne A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Spent a week here for a conference. The hotel is fantastic and the amenities in the hotel are great!!! You don't have to leave the hotel for anything and you never want to. My room which was a suite was amazing with the best views of the beach.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jcpinmiami,
It is wonderful to know you had such a comfortable stay at our resort and that everything you needed was right on site. We hope you are able to return for another Westin retreat.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My Husband and i Stayed there for 5 Days,in fathers day weeken it is a very good place for honeymoon,its an elegant hotel,very clean And confo,The swimming pools are amazing for relax.the Rooms Was very confo,big bed,soft pillows,thanks

Room Tip: Corner rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear anitalacubanita,
Thank you for sharing what a comfortable stay you and your husband had at our resort. We could not be happier to have created this guest experience for you and we hope to be able to do so again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have to say this must have been one of the best mini vacations we had. My wife and I flew from Atlanta to west palm beach and drove to Westin Diplomat for 3 nights. The front desk got us ocean view room on the 28th floor, you can imagine how beautiful it was. The beach was incredible, water was crystal clear and warmer than the pools. There is probably no reason to go on any caribbean trips when this is available in our back yards. The hotel offers very attentive service and has continental breakfast for starwood preferred guests on the 33rd floor every morning. This was such a great getaway, we plan to bring our kids next time because I know they will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Get a starwood preferred guest credit card.
Dear Bill K,
We are thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your weekend getaway to our resort and are honored you think so highly of our property. We are looking forward to your return with the whole family.
Weehawken, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I had a really bad experience at Westin Diplomat Resort. Hotel where we stayed between June 30 and July 4, 20014.

Only acknowledgements for helping too Brandon Crudup

The hotel was really packed for 4 July weekend. The main lobby, the swimming pool(s), and the private beach were way overcrowded. (See photo ...)
The hotel management had everyone wear a cheap plastic wristbands for pool and beach access and there was a $100 fee if you lost it which seemed awkward.

The last day at the hotel turned out to be the worst. The hotel service entered our room without our knowledge around 10:00 AM despite the fact we left a Do NOT DISTURB sign on our door.
My wife was at the pool at the time while I was trying to get an explanation why we were overcharged for the JetSki rental.
By the time we got back (10.45 AM), we noticed an extra bed put into our room for the next guests (I assume) even though there was still plenty of time for us to check out of the hotel which made us really upset
and feel as if we were kicked out of the hotel. (See attached photo...)

People at the front desk and a hotel manager had done nothing to fix the problem. And even though we were promised to get a written explanation of what had happened and a letter of apology, we still have not received any.

The quality of the hotel left much to be desired and was way beyond what you would expect from a four star hotel.

Dear RobDora,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit to our resort. We would like to extend our apologies that this stay was not what you were anticipating. We do require our registered hotel guests to wear wristbands on busy holiday weekends to ensure our pool area is reserved for them to enjoy and would like to apologize that you were inconvenienced by this policy. We would also like to sincerely apologize that our housekeeping team had accidently put a rollaway bed in your room on the day of departure.
We truly appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our management team. We hope you were able to enjoy your overall visit to our resort and we hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Lake Junaluska, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed, the first being a "girls Weekend" the second for my husband and I to take a much needed long weekend. Both times it was perfect! The staff are awesome, friendly, helpful in every way. Being I am a frequent traveler I was upgraded to a balcony ocean front both times, I absolutely love the garden sunken tub in the rooms! Also if you do not get an ocean front room not to worry the other side of the hotel looks over the inter-coastal waterway so still not a bad view! There are some other cafes across the street less expensive than eating in the hotel however my favorite was the lobby café where you could get anything from a burger, to steak to sushi! If you want just a couple items for your refrigerator in your room they do have a small convenience store where they serve of Course STARBUCKS!. The pools are lovely and the beach gorgeous! Plenty of security to make sure no one comes off the beach that is not staying in the hotel. I would recommend to any one going to Hollywood especially in lieu of all the people and traffic in Fort Lauderdale. You can choose to never leave hotel or walk/drive to the boardwalk and visit other restaurants and shops. Walmart is also a walk away for any swimming gear you may need.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Experience Specialist at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear JohnFrieda,
It is an honor ro know you brought your husband to our resort after having such a good time during your girls weekend. We hope you are able to return yet again for another relaxing getaway.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my 2nd trip here and it's just as good as I remembered. The pools, bars, and beaches are great. The oceanfront room was large, clean, quiet, and comfortable. Eric who checked me in was great, efficient, professional. The room was not ready but received a call when the room was ready but waited a while to get the key - the front desk clerk seemed more interested in other things other than the line of paying customers. I think it's a ripoff to have to pay for wi-fi in the room - that's as big as a scam as paying for bags with the airlines. $12.50 is a lot for 24 hours. This is a large property and sometimes a line for the elevators. Overall it's a great place - close to Hollywood Boardwalk - a cheap cab fare. Eat at one of the great local restaurants that are so close!! I was there for 1 night and wished it was more. I recommend this place hands down !!

Room Tip: Ask for an "oceanfront" room and a high floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Karianne A, Guest Experience Specialist at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear AlohaTraveler17,
Thank you so much for sharing your Westin Experience with us. It is such a pleasure to know this second trip was every bit as good as your first and that our ambassador Eric started your visit off on such on such a good note. We sincerely hope to get the chance to provide this kind of stay for you again in the future.
Karianne A.

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!