To celebrate our anniversary and a birthday we felt a trip to sunny Florida would be perfect. We booked a great air & hotel package through Spirit Airlines. We decided on the Westin Diplomat as it was close to both South Beach and Fort Lauderdale. We had taken a red-eye flight so we arrived to the hotel around 8:30AM. We especially want to say thank you to Dave Stewart (Registration Desk) who did not make us wait until mid-afternoon to give us a room. Based on reviews we knew to ask for a corner suite upon check-in. Dave told us he was going to give us one of his favorite rooms and what do you know...it was a corner suite on the 19th floor with amazing views of the beach, city and intracoastal waterway. He also sent us a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! Very nice touch and great customer service! The staff at the hotel were all very professional, polite and helpful.
A couple of things you should know...self-parking is $20/day but is located directly across the street so we decided to pay the extra $5/day to valet. Make sure to call ahead for your car as it takes about 10-15 minutes depending on time of day for valet to bring it. South Beach is about 30 minutes by car and Fort Lauderdale is about 20 minutes. Hollywood has a downtown area that is pedestrian friendly with a lot of restaurants and shops. Great place to hang out. There is also an area on the beach that is called the "Broadwalk". There you will find many restaurants and shops as well. We took the trolley to the Broadwalk. The hotel has two really nice pool areas but we prefer the beach. There are lounge chairs, beach beds and umbrellas available for rent on the beach in front of the hotel. There is a small cafe similar to a Starbucks that you can grab coffee, smoothies, sandwiches and desserts. Servers do come out to the beach for drink and food orders. We would definitely recommend renting a car if you are going to be there for a few days as there are not a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Also, if you plan on going to the Everglades to see alligators or taking a helicopter tour like we did, having a car is convenient.
The hotel does a lot of convention business but we also saw many families. We would definitely stay at the Westin Diplomat again. Very enjoyable stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa is a refreshing escape offering spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean or Intracoastal Waterway. Located beachfront in Hollywood, between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, the AAA Four-Diamond resort's amenitites include 2 pools, private cabanas, watersports, Heavenly Spa by Westin, Westin WORKOUT Fitness Studio, Kids Club and 7 onsite restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Tingo, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Otel, Odigeo, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Diplomat Hotel Hollywood
- Westin Diplomat Resort
- Westin Hollywood
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- Hollywood Westin Diplomat Resort