“Great oceanfront hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
KY
“Great oceanfront hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Great view of the ocean and beach from the hotel room. Had a great balcony to sit outside on and take in the view. Room was really nice and so was the bathroom. Hotel was very busy and took a while to check in even near midnight. But, the folks at the front desk were really nice and helpful. Only stayed for two nights on this trip but definitely will stay there again if in the FLL area. If I had to choose one thing that drove me a bit crazy it was calling the desk for have car retrieved from valet...the ticket you are given does not have the valet desk extension on it. So, when I needed to call I simply used "0", everytime this method failed me. Once I was told the valet wasnt running, to just go to desk and get keys..wrong they were running fine. Next time I called, at 6AM, the lady said she would call them..knowing I was steered wrong once I walked to window to verify my car was being processed..it wasnt, they failed me again. The ladies at the valet desk were super nice and responsive..just the folks answering the hotel assistance line via "0" were not trustworthy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear sizelove,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room to be comfortable. We apologize about the inconvenience you experienced with our Service Express operators. What you described is not typical and we will share this feedback with them so we can continue to improve our services. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family of four (kids age 3 & 1) stayed here in mid-June for six nights. The property itself was great, always clean, and plenty of staff available to answer questions or point us in the right direction. It never had an overly crowded feeling to it, but the weekends definitely saw an increase in occupancy. The pools were nice and big, and obviously there was easy access to the beach. We spent nearly all of our time at the beach, which was nice and clean. We only at on property once, we ordered a pizza from the sports bar and it was good. We had a rental car and drove to a nearby wal-mart a few times to get groceries for the kids and to take lunch to the beach, as our room had a mini fridge. My only complaint was that concierge never answered their phone. Overall it was a great trip to the beach, great hotel, good location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear a2kNE,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It is great to see that you and your family had a great time at our resort. We are happy to see that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool and that you enjoyed our restaurant Rivals. We look forward to welcoming you back for another excellent stay.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I like Starwood properties, and this Westin is typical in its high-quality service, clean rooms, and tasteful decor. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe full ocean, and the view with its small balcony was excellent. Its beach is easily accessible, with chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas available for rent at a hefty price.

The downside is that most places were crowded: the pools, beach, lobby stores, and especially check-in. I didn't try the pool, partly because it was too crowded like spring break for kids. The area was noisy with loud music.

If you're looking for a quiet retreat, this was not the place to be.

I'm still a big fan of Westin, but I don't think I'll be returning to this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Likes2eatout,
We were delighted to welcome you to the Diplomat. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your room with the ocean view. We are sorry to hear that you felt the hotel was a bit crowded and we apologize about how this affected your experience at the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have waited 3 weeks to write this review to make sure that all emotion - the highs and the lows - recede a little bit.

This is a nice property and our room - an ocean facing suite - was nice and spacious. Food choices at the hotel are what you would expect from a hotel on the beach. We had a car, so were able to go downtown Ft. Lauderdale, South Beach and other places much closer to the hotel. Without the car, I suspect choices for the kids would have been limited to a feast of fried foods, hot dogs and burgers. The valet staff are among the friendliest and most helpful I have seen in a hotel. The pools are nice and the beach is readily accessible

The reason for the rating began the first night when we spotted a cockroach in the room just as we were ready to go to bed. After I trapped and escorted the cockroach out of the room (good for a laugh now), I went downstairs to report the incident. The young man at the front desk noted my request to change rooms and told me that someone would contact me in the morning. By lunch time no one had, so I dutifully trooped down again. Yes, they were able to see the request but could not confirm the room since they needed input from somebody else. Two hours and one additional trip later, I had a new room. The whole experience left me with the sense that this was a hotel used to dealing with convention visitors who barely needed their room. Over the duration of the "incident", I received no apology (one manager said, you expect these things at a beach hotel) and it seemed like this was not an incident to them, merely an annoying guest who wanted to switch rooms. The only other time something similar happened to us ( 3 years ago in San Francisco), we had managers and hotel directors calling us, a vase of fresh flowers and a written apology, so perhaps my expectations were unfair.

The rest of the stay passed without incident but that one experience has colored my perception of this hotel. It was our first trip to the Ft. Lauderdale area and we will most likely be back for more vacations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear anandfirouzeh,
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay in South Florida. We are also glad to hear that you found our hotel and your ocean front suite to be nice and spacious as well as our valet staff to be friendly and attentive throughout your stay. We would like to sincerely apologize about your experience in your room as well as the response you received from front desk and management. Please know that we do take these matters seriously and we are truly sorry to hear you felt otherwise. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back on your next vacation to South Florida.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I came for business and wish I brought my family and stayed longer. This is a beautiful hotel with a great pool (for both kids and adults) and great access to the beach. Here are some tips to make your stay more enjoyable:
-First, try and go on weekdays and upgrade to a corner suite. The conference I was with let me do it for a relatively cheap price; if you have the option, or you are starwood preferred, definitely do it.
-You may want to rent a car as the hotel (and Hollywood in general) is kind of low-rent. there is not much to do outside of the hotel. besides go to the sports bar across the skywalk. Note: the sports bar has excellent wings and beers on tap. I would highly recommend it.
-Don't be afraid to go off-season - I went in June, it felt like no one was in the resort and the pool and beach were empty. You can run the whole place!!!
-Room service was surprisingly good (but expensive, as always). I would not be shy about ordering a few dishes; I had the tuna steak; it was delicious.

All in all, I want to go back with my family as this was a very nice, low-key vacation for people who want to just vegetate by both a nice pool and the ocean. If you're looking for nightlife and adventure, this might not be for you. But if you are in for some serious pool/beach/sunbathing time, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Try by any means to get upgraded to a corner suite. the size will amaze you and the views are to die...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear SimonBow,
It is wonderful to hear that you had a great stay during your conference. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed unwinding at the pool and that you found some of our food options to be top notch. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family joined my husband at a conference here. The hotel was really nice, room was great. My kids really liked the 2 pools and the beach. We parked in the hotel's parking garage across the street, it was very convenient. The club floor was nice, had a good little breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear amy1440,
Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with us. We are happy to hear that you and your family had relaxing stay during your husband’s conference. It is great to see you had fun unwinding at the pool and that you enjoyed the breakfast in the club lounge. We hope to welcome you back soon for another revitalizing stay.
houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

stayed here for a week long conference in June. The Hotel itself is nice, but my room had a view of the convention center roof and AC units. Not very nice. The pool areas were really crowded, but you did have access to the beach. Across the street was a sports bar and the inland waterway, so not to bad. My biggest complaint is that you had to taxi everywhere

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear VIEQUESBEACHBUM,
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do try to accommodate our guests with the best views, and we are sorry to hear that you had received otherwise. We do hope that you enjoyed your overall experience and return for another stay in the near future.
Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!