“Nice beachfront, but crowded” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #10 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice beachfront, but crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I like Starwood properties, and this Westin is typical in its high-quality service, clean rooms, and tasteful decor. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe full ocean, and the view with its small balcony was excellent. Its beach is easily accessible, with chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas available for rent at a hefty price.

The downside is that most places were crowded: the pools, beach, lobby stores, and especially check-in. I didn't try the pool, partly because it was too crowded like spring break for kids. The area was noisy with loud music.

If you're looking for a quiet retreat, this was not the place to be.

I'm still a big fan of Westin, but I don't think I'll be returning to this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Likes2eatout,
We were delighted to welcome you to the Diplomat. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your room with the ocean view. We are sorry to hear that you felt the hotel was a bit crowded and we apologize about how this affected your experience at the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

2,359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have waited 3 weeks to write this review to make sure that all emotion - the highs and the lows - recede a little bit.

This is a nice property and our room - an ocean facing suite - was nice and spacious. Food choices at the hotel are what you would expect from a hotel on the beach. We had a car, so were able to go downtown Ft. Lauderdale, South Beach and other places much closer to the hotel. Without the car, I suspect choices for the kids would have been limited to a feast of fried foods, hot dogs and burgers. The valet staff are among the friendliest and most helpful I have seen in a hotel. The pools are nice and the beach is readily accessible

The reason for the rating began the first night when we spotted a cockroach in the room just as we were ready to go to bed. After I trapped and escorted the cockroach out of the room (good for a laugh now), I went downstairs to report the incident. The young man at the front desk noted my request to change rooms and told me that someone would contact me in the morning. By lunch time no one had, so I dutifully trooped down again. Yes, they were able to see the request but could not confirm the room since they needed input from somebody else. Two hours and one additional trip later, I had a new room. The whole experience left me with the sense that this was a hotel used to dealing with convention visitors who barely needed their room. Over the duration of the "incident", I received no apology (one manager said, you expect these things at a beach hotel) and it seemed like this was not an incident to them, merely an annoying guest who wanted to switch rooms. The only other time something similar happened to us ( 3 years ago in San Francisco), we had managers and hotel directors calling us, a vase of fresh flowers and a written apology, so perhaps my expectations were unfair.

The rest of the stay passed without incident but that one experience has colored my perception of this hotel. It was our first trip to the Ft. Lauderdale area and we will most likely be back for more vacations.

Dear anandfirouzeh,
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay in South Florida. We are also glad to hear that you found our hotel and your ocean front suite to be nice and spacious as well as our valet staff to be friendly and attentive throughout your stay. We would like to sincerely apologize about your experience in your room as well as the response you received from front desk and management. Please know that we do take these matters seriously and we are truly sorry to hear you felt otherwise. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back on your next vacation to South Florida.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I came for business and wish I brought my family and stayed longer. This is a beautiful hotel with a great pool (for both kids and adults) and great access to the beach. Here are some tips to make your stay more enjoyable:
-First, try and go on weekdays and upgrade to a corner suite. The conference I was with let me do it for a relatively cheap price; if you have the option, or you are starwood preferred, definitely do it.
-You may want to rent a car as the hotel (and Hollywood in general) is kind of low-rent. there is not much to do outside of the hotel. besides go to the sports bar across the skywalk. Note: the sports bar has excellent wings and beers on tap. I would highly recommend it.
-Don't be afraid to go off-season - I went in June, it felt like no one was in the resort and the pool and beach were empty. You can run the whole place!!!
-Room service was surprisingly good (but expensive, as always). I would not be shy about ordering a few dishes; I had the tuna steak; it was delicious.

All in all, I want to go back with my family as this was a very nice, low-key vacation for people who want to just vegetate by both a nice pool and the ocean. If you're looking for nightlife and adventure, this might not be for you. But if you are in for some serious pool/beach/sunbathing time, you'll love it!

Room Tip: Try by any means to get upgraded to a corner suite. the size will amaze you and the views are to die...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear SimonBow,
It is wonderful to hear that you had a great stay during your conference. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed unwinding at the pool and that you found some of our food options to be top notch. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our family joined my husband at a conference here. The hotel was really nice, room was great. My kids really liked the 2 pools and the beach. We parked in the hotel's parking garage across the street, it was very convenient. The club floor was nice, had a good little breakfast.

Dear amy1440,
Thank you for sharing your excellent experience with us. We are happy to hear that you and your family had relaxing stay during your husband’s conference. It is great to see you had fun unwinding at the pool and that you enjoyed the breakfast in the club lounge. We hope to welcome you back soon for another revitalizing stay.
houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

stayed here for a week long conference in June. The Hotel itself is nice, but my room had a view of the convention center roof and AC units. Not very nice. The pool areas were really crowded, but you did have access to the beach. Across the street was a sports bar and the inland waterway, so not to bad. My biggest complaint is that you had to taxi everywhere

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear VIEQUESBEACHBUM,
We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We do try to accommodate our guests with the best views, and we are sorry to hear that you had received otherwise. We do hope that you enjoyed your overall experience and return for another stay in the near future.
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Diplomat from July 20-26th; we were greeted by Dave who was most gracious and upgraded us to a full oceanview w/ balcony on the 30th floor; he was most welcoming and that was just the beginning. We did not encounter one rude or even indifferent staff member during our entire 6 night stay. This was a first for us at any hotel; and it really made a big difference in my opinion. The pool and beach are lovely, the hotel clean and modern, and the rooms were refreshing. They provided a separate fridge for our drinks free of charge; and we were on Club Level, so we were able to partake of morning and evening snacks. Note: cocktails are not free with the evening hor dourves. The breakfast was especially nice and enabled us to fill up enough without having to have add'l breakfast. Wifi in the rooms costs extra, although it is free in the Club Level and in the lobby - I would be nice with Club Level if they could offer this as a free perk in the room since you pay the extra. I would hope Westin would consider this suggestion. Resort food is expensive, but there are some locals spots that are inexpensive and well worth the trip - Places I can recommend - 15th Street Fisheries Dockside Cafe (Ft Lauderdale), Le Tub (must go - get the massive burgers or fish of the day sandwich), Georgio's Bakery. We had a couple of drinks by the pool and they were delicious but expensive, but that is part of staying at a resort of this caliber. I was worried convention crowd might be overwhelming but it did not feel that way at all. Skip the valet parking, and self park; will save you about $6 a day and you can get your car much quicker - parking is right across the street with easy access. We also enjoyed the Water Taxi ride, which we did in the evening after 5 PM, it was lovely as the full moon came out. You can take the water taxi to Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale restaurants, as well, but watch your return times or you'll be stuck. Very enjoyable 6 night stay with 2 teenagers; I would recommend this resort and hope to return one day. You shouldn't be disappointed, either.

Room Tip: Request an ocean balcony view - there are lots of rooms and you might get one - so nice to watch sun...
Dear RaleighNcgator
It is exciting to see that you had a fantastic vacation here at the Diplomat. It is great to see that you enjoyed your upgraded room and that you found all of our ambassadors to be warm and friendly. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a glitzy beachside resort, bustling with international travelers, that is a far better value and experience than the Fountainbleu and other big hotels in Miami Beach. Rooms are lovely and new. Spa is gorgeous and just opened. Pools are great -- the same kind of over-the-top pool experience you get at the other resorts. But what distinguishes this hotel is the truly exemplary service, so incredibly friendly, helpful, and competent that even during busy check-in times they manage to take care of everyone in a mindful and caring manner. A HUGE change from other big resorts we have stayed at. The one downside is that it is a drive -- or a free shuttle ride -- from the more exciting stretches of beach. Hollywood is nice enough, and it is centrally located, an easy trip to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. We stayed at the hotel during the days, and then ate in South Beach or Miami Beach for dinner. My one complaint is the same complaint I make over and over at many big hotels: poor wifi that is NOT free. As a result, I would not stay here on business. But overall, it was a fun and delightful place to stay.

Dear LLTraveler7,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed the resort and its amenities and are especially glad to hear that the service provided exceeded that of other resorts. We hope to see you back again soon for another great stay.
Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!