“Beautiful Property, Great Service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Belleville, Michigan
“Beautiful Property, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I took our 4-year-old son for a couple of days on the beach. The property is right on the beach , both pools were great, kid friendly ... We loved the service and the atmosphere. The room was nice and we would definitely return!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear QROBINSON,
It is a great pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed the service and atmosphere at the hotel. We hope that your family returns soon for another great stay.
Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albertson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Spent a four day weekend here without any problems. Staff and room were great. It is very expensive to stay and would not recommend coming with the whole family on a budget. Food offered was very good but again expensive.

Room Tip: Great ocean views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JV1633,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable weekend and look forward to your next visit.
Stuart
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Here's what really sucks. As nice as the hotel and pool was, I will not be able to return in good conscience due to the problems experienced with the reservation system and more importantly the manner in which these problems were handled. I'll start with the good first. We had a beautiful room with a pool and beach view. The room was clean and the bathroom big. A must for me. Free wifi in the lobby always a plus. Food and cocktails was pricey but that's typical at a nice hotel. The bad. My wife had called and made a reservation when I was at work. When I got home I called to confirm. It's a good thing I called because the agent didn't process correctly and there was no reservation. So I went online and made one. Paid for it got a confirmation number everything was set. My wife went on Saturday ( I was meeting her on Sunday). They did not have a reservation on file and gave her a very hard time demanding payment again. She refused and was eventually able to check in. The credit card was not on file and we had to carry cash or credit card the whole time instead of the convenience of charging to the room. At checkout (we had a plane to catch) we were told we had to pay for the room. After being told everything was our fault, there was no reservation, the error was on us blah blah blah, they finally found our payment and the clerk blamed it all on their reservation system. Still The clerk was very rude to us and uncaring. No benefit of the doubt. Here is the question. Is the mistreatment we received ( the lady at the desk actually warned my wife about about her frustration not being acceptable??) the company's in place philosophy toward customer relations or is it a training issue. As someone who's been in customer service I am just dumbfounded by her attitude and shocked that such a nice hotel would allow this. I would give the clerk an F at her handling of the situation. Even after it was found we had already paid, she never apologized or empathized or used the words "I understand your frustration" to make us feel at ease. We almost missed our flight and so we shall never return here and if it wasn't a nice hotel I wouldn't care as much but damn you diplomat for what you have done. I will share this on Facebook and with coworkers friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear saz1969,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. We are terribly sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience at our resort. Yours is a situation we never hope for our guests to encounter and we apologize for the manner in which it was handled. We are glad to hear that you did enjoy your room and do hope you reconsider staying at the Westin Diplomat again in the future.
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We arrived from Orlando on July 5 and the lobby area was an absolute mess. It was chaotic, there was no order in the check in process and it took a fair bit of time to check in. If you are SPG Plat, I believe this hotel goes out of its way to upgrade you to a suite. This time my family was upgraded to a corner suite. It was excellent.

We had a few meals at the hotel (beyond using the executive lounge). The meals were pretty good but pricey. I quite like this hotel and generally service is pretty good. But it is a large convention hotel and there are service glitches.

I like the beach area but I was never clear on the lounge chair policy.

Overall, the facilities are excellent. The room we had was great. It was my second stay here and if I return to this area, I would definitely pick this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear jjkathome,
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our Starwood Platinum guests. We truly appreciate your review as well as your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you enjoyed your room upgrade to the corner suite. We apologize about the long check in lines as well as for the confusion with the beach chairs. The beach behind the hotel is a public beach and is owned by the city of Hollywood. A vendor has been hired by the city to provide beach chairs so our guests can unwind at the beach. As always the chairs on our pool deck are complimentary. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to South Florida.
Shreveport, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I arrived at the Westin Diplomat on a Tuesday evening for a conference that lasted the next 4 days. First, I was given a double bed when I requested a king. This was not a huge deal, but disappointing. I got to my room, and the first thing I noticed was that my room had a strong smell that resembled body odor. I immediately called down to the front desk to be moved, but I was told the hotel was "fully committed." A member of the housekeeping staff spritzed some air freshener in my room. This charade was repeated with phone calls every evening when I got back from my conference. The 3rd day, the shampooed the carpets in my room. This did not solve the problem. At least they tried I guess...

My next review would be of the dining options. This place has a few restaurants. They have a normal hotel restaurant that serves American fare, a steakhouse, a sushi bar, a smoothie shop, and an outdoor restaurant. I ate at the poolside restaurant and the regular hotel restaurant. The food was very average and was very expensive ($25 for a cheeseburger and fries). There is an automatic gratuity charge on everything as well. There are very limited dining options nearby, which makes this difficult as well. No free breakfast options as many hotels are offering either.

The price of the hotel is fairly reasonable, but in the day where Motel 6 provides free internet, this place really nickels and dimes you for everything. Every phone call (even local) incurs at $2.50 charge plus tax and there is no free internet option in the rooms. They don't mention the phone call pricing until checkout by the way, so be careful!

Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear skeezerjmh,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We are sorry about the condition of your room and that you found our services to be a bit pricey. We will share your feedback with our management team so we can continue to improve the services we provide our guests. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin many times in the past 10 years. Most recently, we joined some family on a summer trip to Florida. The Westin is a well oiled machine offering a very clean and well maintained property with two very large swimming pools and direct access to the beach. The hotel is equally suitable for families with children as it is for singles or couples. The weekends tend to be more occupied than the weekdays and therefore much more action on Saturday and Sunday. Be careful for large conventions as they have a convention centre attached and depending on how large it can overwhelm the facilities when you are there. So make sure to ask when booking and especially ask how many people are expected! The restaurants at the Westin are reasonable and the pool menu is good. There are kids menus at all restaurants at the property. The newest development since my last stay was the addition of a very nice and excellent gym on the lobby level. The gym is open 24 hours and the facilities are excellent. The rooms are very clean and quite large. The staff are very nice especially Santiago (at the entrance when checking in) and Vlad, the beach security guard.

There are are few negatives (as there are with any hotel) at the Westin. Because of the construction of the building and the size of the building (parallel to the beach) there is no sun at the pools by 3 pm in the afternoon. In winter months this can be a problem due to colder air. There is sun at the beach most of the day. The beach is small and not like South where the sand extends quite far. Lastly, the Westin Club lounge was a big disappointment this time around. The afternoon food consisted of tortilla chips and terrible deep fried stuff and the continental breakfast was minimal at best. A huge disappointment from our last stay. Not worth the extra money if you are not a Stawood Preferred guest. Lastly, the free wireless internet at the pools sucks! It simply does not work. C'mon Westin, this is 2013! This is unacceptable and easily remedied. The lobby free wireless works perfectly. Overall, this is an excellent hotel and very clean.

Room Tip: Try and select corner rooms.
Dear Candyman65,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It has been a pleasure welcoming you back to the Diplomat many times over the past 10 years. It is great to see that you have enjoyed our pool areas and that you found our restaurants to be excellent. Thank you for your feedback regarding our club lounge and pool Wi-Fi. We hope to see you at the Diplomat again soon.
Ashburn, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent three nights here last week and it was pleasant. The hotel is on the beach so very convenient if that's your primary reason for visiting the area. The beach area was clean.

We were in a grand deluxe room with 2 doubles. The room was clean with comfortable beds. The floor to ceiling glass window opens up to a balcony which provided a beautiful view of the ocean. The room felt a bit small with 2 kids, but since we spent very little time in there it wasn't so bad. We really liked the setup of the bathroom. the shower & toilet are separated in their own glass enclosed areas and there is a big soaking tub.

The 2 pools are very nice with plenty of lounge chairs on both decks. The top deck affords a view of the ocean. The bottom deck has a tropical theme with palm trees located in the pool area. There're cabana's available for rent but we didn't feel a need for it. Poolside service was good. After reading about parking garage issues in other reviews we decided to use valet service. We never had to wait for our car to be brought up if we called from our room before heading down.

We did not use any of the restaurants at the hotel except Ingredients (the cafe/pantry) for breakfast and snacks. Coffee & breakfast pastries were good. Fresh fruit was also available. We would have loved to enjoy few meals on site but the hotel's restaurant did not have many food choices for vegetarians other than fries and salad greens. This was a disappointment.

The hotel appeared to be hosting few events during our stay but we didn't experience any service issues. Overall, it was very good stay. Our top three favorite things about this hotel are: the pools, balcony & bathrooms in the guestroom and the Ocean view.

Dear dpndka,
It is fantastic to see that you had an amazing experience at our resort. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you and your family had a great time at our pool area. Thank you for your feedback regarding our food options here at the resort. We will share this with food & beverage department so we can continue to provide our guests with top notch services. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!