“Another nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Vancouver
“Another nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We arrived from Orlando on July 5 and the lobby area was an absolute mess. It was chaotic, there was no order in the check in process and it took a fair bit of time to check in. If you are SPG Plat, I believe this hotel goes out of its way to upgrade you to a suite. This time my family was upgraded to a corner suite. It was excellent.

We had a few meals at the hotel (beyond using the executive lounge). The meals were pretty good but pricey. I quite like this hotel and generally service is pretty good. But it is a large convention hotel and there are service glitches.

I like the beach area but I was never clear on the lounge chair policy.

Overall, the facilities are excellent. The room we had was great. It was my second stay here and if I return to this area, I would definitely pick this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear jjkathome,
It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our Starwood Platinum guests. We truly appreciate your review as well as your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you enjoyed your room upgrade to the corner suite. We apologize about the long check in lines as well as for the confusion with the beach chairs. The beach behind the hotel is a public beach and is owned by the city of Hollywood. A vendor has been hired by the city to provide beach chairs so our guests can unwind at the beach. As always the chairs on our pool deck are complimentary. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to South Florida.
Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shreveport, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I arrived at the Westin Diplomat on a Tuesday evening for a conference that lasted the next 4 days. First, I was given a double bed when I requested a king. This was not a huge deal, but disappointing. I got to my room, and the first thing I noticed was that my room had a strong smell that resembled body odor. I immediately called down to the front desk to be moved, but I was told the hotel was "fully committed." A member of the housekeeping staff spritzed some air freshener in my room. This charade was repeated with phone calls every evening when I got back from my conference. The 3rd day, the shampooed the carpets in my room. This did not solve the problem. At least they tried I guess...

My next review would be of the dining options. This place has a few restaurants. They have a normal hotel restaurant that serves American fare, a steakhouse, a sushi bar, a smoothie shop, and an outdoor restaurant. I ate at the poolside restaurant and the regular hotel restaurant. The food was very average and was very expensive ($25 for a cheeseburger and fries). There is an automatic gratuity charge on everything as well. There are very limited dining options nearby, which makes this difficult as well. No free breakfast options as many hotels are offering either.

The price of the hotel is fairly reasonable, but in the day where Motel 6 provides free internet, this place really nickels and dimes you for everything. Every phone call (even local) incurs at $2.50 charge plus tax and there is no free internet option in the rooms. They don't mention the phone call pricing until checkout by the way, so be careful!

Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear skeezerjmh,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. We are sorry about the condition of your room and that you found our services to be a bit pricey. We will share your feedback with our management team so we can continue to improve the services we provide our guests. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin many times in the past 10 years. Most recently, we joined some family on a summer trip to Florida. The Westin is a well oiled machine offering a very clean and well maintained property with two very large swimming pools and direct access to the beach. The hotel is equally suitable for families with children as it is for singles or couples. The weekends tend to be more occupied than the weekdays and therefore much more action on Saturday and Sunday. Be careful for large conventions as they have a convention centre attached and depending on how large it can overwhelm the facilities when you are there. So make sure to ask when booking and especially ask how many people are expected! The restaurants at the Westin are reasonable and the pool menu is good. There are kids menus at all restaurants at the property. The newest development since my last stay was the addition of a very nice and excellent gym on the lobby level. The gym is open 24 hours and the facilities are excellent. The rooms are very clean and quite large. The staff are very nice especially Santiago (at the entrance when checking in) and Vlad, the beach security guard.

There are are few negatives (as there are with any hotel) at the Westin. Because of the construction of the building and the size of the building (parallel to the beach) there is no sun at the pools by 3 pm in the afternoon. In winter months this can be a problem due to colder air. There is sun at the beach most of the day. The beach is small and not like South where the sand extends quite far. Lastly, the Westin Club lounge was a big disappointment this time around. The afternoon food consisted of tortilla chips and terrible deep fried stuff and the continental breakfast was minimal at best. A huge disappointment from our last stay. Not worth the extra money if you are not a Stawood Preferred guest. Lastly, the free wireless internet at the pools sucks! It simply does not work. C'mon Westin, this is 2013! This is unacceptable and easily remedied. The lobby free wireless works perfectly. Overall, this is an excellent hotel and very clean.

Room Tip: Try and select corner rooms.
Dear Candyman65,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It has been a pleasure welcoming you back to the Diplomat many times over the past 10 years. It is great to see that you have enjoyed our pool areas and that you found our restaurants to be excellent. Thank you for your feedback regarding our club lounge and pool Wi-Fi. We hope to see you at the Diplomat again soon.
Ashburn, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent three nights here last week and it was pleasant. The hotel is on the beach so very convenient if that's your primary reason for visiting the area. The beach area was clean.

We were in a grand deluxe room with 2 doubles. The room was clean with comfortable beds. The floor to ceiling glass window opens up to a balcony which provided a beautiful view of the ocean. The room felt a bit small with 2 kids, but since we spent very little time in there it wasn't so bad. We really liked the setup of the bathroom. the shower & toilet are separated in their own glass enclosed areas and there is a big soaking tub.

The 2 pools are very nice with plenty of lounge chairs on both decks. The top deck affords a view of the ocean. The bottom deck has a tropical theme with palm trees located in the pool area. There're cabana's available for rent but we didn't feel a need for it. Poolside service was good. After reading about parking garage issues in other reviews we decided to use valet service. We never had to wait for our car to be brought up if we called from our room before heading down.

We did not use any of the restaurants at the hotel except Ingredients (the cafe/pantry) for breakfast and snacks. Coffee & breakfast pastries were good. Fresh fruit was also available. We would have loved to enjoy few meals on site but the hotel's restaurant did not have many food choices for vegetarians other than fries and salad greens. This was a disappointment.

The hotel appeared to be hosting few events during our stay but we didn't experience any service issues. Overall, it was very good stay. Our top three favorite things about this hotel are: the pools, balcony & bathrooms in the guestroom and the Ocean view.

Dear dpndka,
It is fantastic to see that you had an amazing experience at our resort. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you and your family had a great time at our pool area. Thank you for your feedback regarding our food options here at the resort. We will share this with food & beverage department so we can continue to provide our guests with top notch services. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

For our 10 yr wedding anniversary decided to do it up big and head to Miami. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about this hotel, after all it is a Westin. The staff were great. Valet was awesome. Ate our anniversary dinner at The Hollywood Prime located in the hotel. 24 hr room service, great pools, private beach area, and the view from our king grande deluxe ocean front balcony- AMAZING!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear savy-mama97,
We are excited to hear that you had a memorable 10th Anniversary with us at the Westin. It is great to see that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool and that you found our Hollywood Prime to be an excellent place to celebrate your Anniversary. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed at this Westin many times, it is one of my favorite hotels. It is a very well kept property right on the beach with lots of pool area to enjoy and direct access to a wonderful beach. The rooms are beautiful, suites are wonderful. Lobby is magnificent. New gym with lots of equipment is also top notch.
The beach is great, there are chairs, umbrellas and beach beds available for rent at reasonable prices and there are security guards that seem to really make a difference.
I get a feeling that this hotel has trouble keeping its restaurants going. The "cafe" was only open for breakfast and lunch. What once used to be an Asian restaurant seems to not be there anymore. There is a walkway across A1A to the Intracoastal, there are some restaurants there right on the water but every time I have eaten there I wish afterwards that I had taken the effort to drive somewhere else for dinner. They are not bad but they also are not great, especially not for the prices charged.
This time we tried the Hollywood Prime restaurant inside the hotel for the first time. I had not tried it before, it seemed expensive and I was afraid it would only be ok. Was I ever wrong. Fantastic service and more than fantastic food at prices that I consider very good. I highly recommend this restaurant.
Now to the negative aspects of the hotel. The first is a major one for me.
I checked into this Westin 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Each time there was excessive wait time in the lobby. Only 2-3 of the many check-in stations were staffed on each occasion. First time I waited over 20 minutes, second time about the same, third time even longer. This is not a good start to a leisurely vacation stay, in fact it is enough of a negative to stay away from this hotel. This is just unacceptable.
The second negative observation is regarding the Club Room on floor 33. It has breakfast in the morning and snacks in the evening. Over the years I have seen this service deteriorate, I assume because of cost cutting. Breakfast has only a decent selection of food but the number of guests in the club room far outweighs the ability of the staff assigned to keep up with food, dishes and service. The evening snacks are not enough to make anyone happy, I know it is not a dinner but these don't even qualify as snacks in my mind. In addition you have to pay for any alcoholic beverages. It is a pity, the club room is a beautiful facility with two fantastic outside patios. Again, I believe this is a great concept that is the victim of cost cutting.
I guess a positive of the cost cutting is that the valet parking is now only $25 per night.
In summary the Westin Hollywood is a great property with a wonderful pool and beach and a fantastic steak restaurant. It was once my only choice for a vacation in the area, however the check-in lines and the minimal value of the club room are going to make me look at other properties next time.

Room Tip: Arrive at the hotel at non-peak check-in time to avoid excessive wait in the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear catx,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It was a pleasure welcoming you back and we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stays with us over the years. Thank you for your feedback regarding our restaurants, club lounge, and front desk. We appreciate your comments as it will help us to better serve our guests in the future. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My best friend lives in Boston and I live in NY. We wanted a quick getaway to catch up with each other and celebrate her birthday and a trip to Florida was the solution. I booked the trip without much research, which I never do. After booking I couldn't help but start to read some reviews on TripAdvisor and I will be very honest- a few of them made me a bit uneasy- the long check-in lines, the noise, the poor service. But what could we do? - We booked a non-refundanble trip and we really wanted to go! So off we went. I am more than happy to report that we had the most fabulous experience at The Westin Diplomat and I will be returning for visits in the future. We did wait on a little bit of a line when we arrived to check in and our room wasn't ready yet, but we knew that would be likely since it stated check in time is 4pm and our flights were early morning flights. We left our luggage with the desk and headed out to the pool for lunch and some fun in the sun until our room was ready. When we did get into our room it was spotless and had a refrigerator (which came in handy to keep water cold and some snacks) and we were amazed by the breathtaking view. The balcony was just perfect for a glass of birthday champagne in the evening! Throughout our entire stay (4 days, 3 nights) every single staff member we interacted with was wonderful. We even joked that they sent around photos of us and told staff we were VIP's because we couldn't believe how well we were being treated! They had a surplus of staff and I have not one negative thing to say about anyone from the desk staff to the bartenders to staff we saw in the hallways and elevators. Our room was quiet and we had restful nights of sleep. This resort is humongous. You can't get away from that, but my favorite thing about this resort is that when you are out at the pool there are places you can sit to get away from the crowds if you want to, or you can get right into the mix. There is a place for everyone. We did spring for a cabana one day for my friend's birthday and we thought we would be disappointed with the upstairs cabana because it didn't look as nice as the downstairs ones but we couldn't have been happier up top after we realized how energetic and busy the downstairs was. We went down for a dip and were surprised that there is very little walkway between the cabana lounge chairs and the pool so people are constantly walking in front of you and kids are splashing and it was a bit chaotic for our taste, but that is a personal preference. We wanted quiet and were were happy to have it upstairs. I did find the food and drinks to be expensive- even by New York standards and elevator wait times to be long, but those are my only complaints. Overall, I was very happy at the Westin Diplomat. In fact, it surpassed our expectations. They set the bar very high for future visits for here and other places! Thank you Westin Diplomat- hope to return again soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!