Back in December of 2006 I vacationed at The Sheraton Bal Harbour Beach resort. This at the time turned out to be one of the best vacations of my life. Sadly, the following year, Starwood Properties decided to demolish it to build the St. Regis Bal Harbor. 3 beautiful 25+ floor glass towers that cater to those with deep pockets & an expectation of lush amenities. I stayed there, it’s a fantastic place, but that’s for another review.
The reason I bring it up is because with the Sheraton leaving I wondered what establishment would now take it’s place as the new family friendly locale. Enter, The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa. Located in Hollywood, Florida, ‘The Dip’ (as I’ve heard it being called), is a 36 story hotel, with an outdoor infinity pool on it’s upper level (yes, UPPER level), which rains down via two waterfalls in to a 240ft long lagoon pool on the lower level. This as I’ve witness accommodates a lot of people and those that don’t feel like swimming in its mineral based waters there’s a powder soft sanded beach right behind it.
For adults there’s the Diplomat’s 18hole golf course, a tennis center, workout studio & spa. The resort is also optimized for wedding receptions, conventions, and as I witnessed during my stay a family reunion.
My room accommodations were on what’s called the Club Floor. It’s located on the upper levels of the hotel and boast a 10,000 square foot lounge which offers daily complimentary continental breakfast as well as evening cocktail service. The lounge itself has two huge outdoor areas with one oceanfront view while the other, faces the city. As for my room I was very pleased with it. I didn’t’ expect a balcony but was glad one was there, the oceanfront view as well as that of the massive pool below was breathtaking which you can see in the images I posted. (too bad tripadvisor doesn’t allow for video, simple images don’t do it justice). I also didn’t expect to get a mini fridge, but was glad I when I discovered it.
Check in was quicker than expected. The self-parking ($20 per day vs $25 per day Valet) however needs some work. I was told my room’s key would work but it didn’t on several occasions. I ended up having to get a card key specifically entering & leaving the self parking lot. From that point the process worked as normal.
If you’re up for a nice stay at a resort that has something for everyone, I highly recommend you stay at the Diplomat. As I mentioned earlier it reminds me a lot of the Sheraton in Bal Harbour from years ago, just more contemporary with a lot more features.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Diplomat Hotel Hollywood
- Westin Diplomat Resort
- Westin Hollywood
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa
- Westin Diplomat
- Hollywood Westin
- Hollywood Westin Diplomat Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida is located on the Atlantic Ocean close to two major airports, our 898 guest rooms and 100 suites feature stylish and soothing beach tones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Amex, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Starwood, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Olotels, getaroom.com and Tingo so you can book your Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.