“Hollywood, FL” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Surrey, Canada
“Hollywood, FL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very very nice facility excellent location friendly courteous staff very professional. Food is superb drinks are expensive. I was attending a convention and it was fantastically catered and organized.

would definitely go again

Room Tip: South tower Corner suites are large and sunny with big decks and views of beach ocean and canal
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear S115,
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your retreat with us. It is nice to see that you enjoyed our food options and that our staff helped to make your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

2,122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and ENJOYED the stay. I had a room with a balcony and it was wonderful to see the sun set and the sunrise in the evening. The staff was wonderful and nice, the atmosphere were was grand and I loved everything about it...even the smell.

Also, there are plenty of stores around within a 1 block walk if you forgot something for the beach.
There are fast food places around within a 2 block radius but no restaurants if you are truly hungry for a good meal.

Overall, the stay was very nice.

Dear pimptown,
Thank you for sharing your fantastic feedback with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you found our ambassadors to be extra helpful. We hope to welcome you back to the Diplomat soon.
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Westin Diplomat proved to be the perfect place to blend business for him and wonderful downtime for me. The staff was attentive from check in to check out. Our ocean front room was the perfect place to spend a rainy day with a good book. The pool and beach area good to hang out on a sunny day, especially when they gave out the best ice cream on Saturday afternoon. A trip to the spa was relaxing and I received one of the best massages I have had. The golf and spa properties are worth the shuttle trip. Look forward to returning for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front with balcony.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Karyn W,
It is a real treat to learn that you had an amazing stay with us. It is fantastic to see that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool and that you had a rejuvenating experience at our Spa. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Attended a recent ARDA convention at the Diplomat, and came away pretty non plussed. The hotel at first glance looks grand, but after closer inspection, the hotel public areas and the rooms themselves had a great deal of wear and tear. The service in the main dining area was very uninspired, and service was also slow. It seems like so many hotels, like this one, want guests to use the buffet as it makes it easier on the staff and kitchen - but of course the mandatory 18% gratuity is added to the check all the same! I would not be inpired to return.

Dear John W,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not the top quality experience you have come to expect from a Westin. We apologize about the slow service that you received in the restaurant and we would like to thank you for your feedback regarding our public areas and our rooms. We will share your concerns with our management team so we can continue to evolve and grow. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Diplomat is more of a conference hotel than a vacation destination. I say this because although they have the amenities they do not organize it well. The pool area for example is large but not does not have alot going on. I also had a problem with cleaniness of the grounds example upon check in my wife was siting on the couch and an apple core was next to her which is fine if it was left by the last person but 4 hours later while leaving to go get dinner it was still there. The pool area was also a mess with chairs and towels scattered around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear dabbadessa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. It saddens us to hear about your experience in our lobby as well as at our pool area. We strive to provide our guests with clean and comfortable facilities and we are sorry that we did not reach our potential during your stay. Your feedback will be shared with our housekeeping and recreation teams. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back for a better stay in the future.
Weston Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed for a Friday and Saturday night for a wedding even though we live in the area. The rooms are very nice and clean, we were on the 18th floor oceanside and had a great view. We really enjoyed breakfast from the coffee bar on the north side of the lobby. Very quick and reasonably priced and you can take it to the pool patio and watch the ocean.
If you are leaving on a Sunday during peak checkout, expect long lines and a delay for valet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear westoncouple,
It is exciting to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us at the Westin. It is great to see you enjoyed the view from your room and that you found breakfast in ingredients to fit your needs. We hope to welcome you back for another excellent stay.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel is simply amazing. If you go there during low season, where the rates are 149-249 a night, I see NO reason to stay anywhere else.

The other Starwood beachfront properties in South Florida within that price range are lightyears away in service, amenities, etc.

Let me begin by responding to some of the bad/mediocre reviews I've read about this place. I'll preface it by saying that I actually planned my vacation AROUND this hotel. The hotel is sometimes booked up for conventions, so I had to pick my vacation dates based on when this hotel was available, and it was definitely worth it.

PARKING:

The parking lot IS set-up a bit weird, you enter on one side, and then to exit you need to drive up 4 floors, and then down 4 floors, to reach the exit. This never took me more than 3 minutes. You pay with your room key, there's no reason to be paying otherwise. If you pay with your key then you just swipe it when you exit and you're out. Self parking is $20/day which SOUNDS like a lot, but compared to some other hotels, it isn't.

SERVICE:

I found everyone there to be VERY friendly and I didn't feel like they were waiting around for tips.

POOL:

This is, BY FAR, the best Starwoods pool in South Florida, maybe even the best one in the continental USA. The beach is fantastic as well, and well maintained.

"NICKEL AND DIMING":

I've seen some people complain about being nickel and dimed. It's true that they charge you $12 per chair/day but on the other hand there's no "resort fee", which many places force onto your bill, so it's really the same. The food and other items are definitely expensive, but there's a walmart literally a 2 minute drive away, and my room had a fridge (as do many of the rooms I think).

OVERCROWDED:

Some people have said the hotel was over crowded, and ya, I can see that. When I went there it was pretty empty, so I did not have the issue whatsoever. If the hotel is at full capacity, 998 rooms, then it probably would get pretty packed. This would be true for ANY hotel, so if you go here for labor day, new years day, spring break, etc, it will probably be busy, as will every other hotel in florida.

ROOMS:

I might be biased because my room was upgraded to an oceanfront room, but the view was absolutely stunning. The room itself was also a notch above other Starwoods. Bigger TV, more pillows, and way more luxurious bathroom.

GOLF COURSE ROOMS:

THIS NO LONGER EXISTS! No reason to worry about this. If you book here you will be in the beachfront building (as of 5/6/2013 at least).

LOCATION:

This hotel is located in a quiter part of town, if you want to walk down the block to a bar, you probably won't find one (except Rival's across the street). But to me this is a POSITIVE. The hotels in South Beach are always surrounded by noise and people, this one is quiet and serene. If you have a car, you're within 20 minutes of Fort Lauderdale, even closer to Aventura Mall, and 3 minutes from Walmart. A drive down to Miami is just 30 - 40 minutes as well.

Summary:

If you go here during a busy time, you may find it a bit busy and crowded, but the same would hold true for any hotel. During a low / quiet season though, I would not stay anywhere else. If this place is available, grab it. The staff is great, rooms are great, pool is amazing, and I literally cannot think of anything negative to say about my stay. My stay was so great that it literally baffles me that anyone would stay anywhere but here. As long as rates aren't inflated due to holidays/availability, the standard rates of 189 or so get you so much more than it would at any other hotel.

Room Tip: They have 36 floors, so don't be afraid to ask for a higher floor. Obviously anything ocean fron...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Saul s,
Thank you for sharing you excellent feedback with us. It is wonderful to see that you had great stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities we offer. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and found our ambassadors to be friendly. We hope to look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to South Florida.
Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!