“wonderful hotel and resort” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Middletown, New York
“wonderful hotel and resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

we had a wonderful 3 night stay in April, 2013. The property is extremely well kept and the hotel staff was generally excellent. The only issue we had was with our check-in. It took us 15 minutes to check in - and that was only after i asked for a manager to come out. She didn;t seem very concerned with our wait, and unfortunately that first impression is going to last a long time with me. There is a large reception area with at least 8 work stations, and only 2 people manning it. Not very good customer service for a resort with almost 1,000 rooms. On the bright side, the rest of the staff was excellent, caring and very considerate of our needs. The housekeeping staff were very polite, and always made sure to greet the guests they encountered. The pool and beach areas are wonderfully clean, towels abundant and lounge chairs were always available.

Room Tip: we had a room on the intercoastal side of the hotel. I think all of the rooms are probably good - w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear betty m,
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at the Westin. We are happy to hear that you found our ambassadors to be friendly and that you enjoyed unwinding at our pools. We are sorry to hear about your experience while checking into the resort. Our front office ambassadors strive to provide each of our guests with a revitalizing check-in experience and we are sorry that this is not what you received. We will use your feedback to help improve the guest experience at our resort.

2,122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've stayed at the Diplomat several times over the past eight years or so and am always reminded of why it's one of my favorite hotels in the world. The minute I catch a whiff of that White Tea scent drifting out of the lobby, it feels like I'm home. I can say many things about how awesome the pool area is or the rooms or the spa over at the Country Club. But I have to share one thing that for me sums up how special this place is. As I said, I've been coming here for several years (actually longer if you count before it was rebuilt and opened as a Westin) but I hadn't been there in about three years… until this past weekend.

Now, when I'm there I live in the same spot by the pool, and I order every meal from Roxana at Splash, the poolside bar/restaurant. My favorite dish there was always the Mandarin Chicken Salad, although I've been known to order the Ahi Tuna on Greens, as well as the burger, from time to time. But I DREAM about that Mandarin Chicken Salad. When I arrived there last Friday, I immediately went down to the pool and got my favorite lounger. Then I walked up to the Splash Bar, hoping Roxana still worked there, and there she was. She immediately recognized me and came around and gave me a hug. Then she sort of gasped and said apologetically, 'Oh, no! You always get the chicken salad. It's not on the menu anymore!'. Let me repeat… I have not been there in THREE YEARS and she still remembered not just me, but she remembered my order! AND, my next favorite order, as she immediately pointed out that they still have the Ahi on Greens. Simply amazing.

That said, the man who checked me in was the least accommodating and person I've ever experienced there. Very quick to say that no upgrades were available. Questioned the validity of my F&F form. Did not make me feel special the way every other employee does, and didn't really seem to care. Seemed like he was on a bit of a power trip. But luckily that first UN-welcome did not ruin the rest of the trip. Roxana more than made up for it. (Although I do wish they'd bring the Mandarin Chicken Salad back.) Still my favorite hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear girlycheckin,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the Diplomat after 3 long years. We are happy to hear that you felt at home during your stay and that Roxana helped to make your stay extra special. We would also like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding your check-in experience. What you described is not the warm welcome our ambassadors are known for and for that we are truly sorry. We will be sure to use your feedback to help us improve our welcome experience. We hope to welcome you back to the Westin again soon.
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at the Westin Diplomat for 5 nights, on our first vacation with our daughter. This was our second visit to the Westin Diplomat, and our expectations were exceeded yet again. The location of the hotel is in a quieter part of the town with not much around, but being right on the beach makes the location perfect. We were greeted with a smile upon entering the hotel and then the check in process is where we were wowweed..Jessica at the front desk went above and beyond to ensure all our needs (room on a higher floor, a crib in the room and also details about the dining facilities).

The room was extremely comfortable and the view of the ocean was just breathtaking. The feeling sitting on the balcony having that morning coffee was surreal. The staff at this hotel were fantastic, from the housekeeping members, to the restaurant and bar staff always went above and beyond to serve your every need.

The food at Splash is pretty good, except their menu is scaled down after 5pm which was a bit disappointing on the day we arrived. The Fish taco's at Splash are fantastic.

The pool and the beach areas are well kept, the proximity of the beach from the hotel is one of the top reasons everyone should consider to stay at this hotel.

We will certainly be back for another family vacation in not too distant future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Serivices Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear murt101,
We were delighted to once again welcome you and your family back to the Diplomat. It is great to hear that you once again had an amazing stay. We are thrilled to hear that Jessica took extra special care of you during check in and that you had a relaxing time unwinding at by our pools. We hope to welcome you back to the Westin again soon.
Lancaster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The view from the rooms is gorgeous. The room was similar to being in a bed and breakfast cottage. The room was very clean. Beds extremely comfortable. The hotel is beautiful. The restaurant and bar are nice and so are the people.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Britni D,
It is exciting to hear that you had a fantastic retreat with us at the Westin. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you found our Westin Heavenly beds to be comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Westin Diplomat is a gem. The first thing you'll notice when approach the property is the unique architecture of this hotel. It's something you should get used to on this property because everywhere you turn you are surprised at the unique accommodation and beauty that the Westin has to offer. The Westin brand just never seems to disappoint. The upper deck/lobby level pool is an infinity style pool and is eye catching when I stayed on the property their was a runway show utilizing this unique pool. The pool also has a window in the bottom of it in which you can see down to the lower pool. The lower beach level pool is exremely big and between pools should accommodate all guests without feeling too crowded.

The rooms are spacious with an immaculate bathroom space; the bathtub is huge and is a must to use at least once a day. The standup showers are spacious and everything is constructed in high quality materials. The cherry on top is the property is situated right on the ocean and the intercoastal. So whether you are cruising on a yacht in the intercoastal or just get some sunshine and waves this is the place to do it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear HamTravelGuy,
It is great to hear that you had a revitalizing stay with us at the Westin. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of our facilities and that you found room to be spacious and comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Be well
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This place is just what we needed after just leaving South Beach and its small "art deco" hotels.
Great service, all the amenities you could expect. A true 4 star experience. Clean, comfortable, and romantic rooms. Yet fully functional as a business facility. I have not one complaint , I wish we were here longer.
The restaurants are excellent. I particularly liked the sports bar. It had a nice outside eating area overlooking the water causeway, and the food was excellent.
Did I mention the beach? Very nice, well groomed and maintained and 2 good sized pools. This hotel is a great value and I would come back in a heartbeat. Especially after staying at overpriced South Beach, this place was just what we needed to unwind and enjoy.

Room Tip: Any upper level room over looking the ocean.....with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear joeC965,
It is thrilling to hear that you had a fabulous stay at the Diplomat. It is great to hear that you took advantage of all the amenities we offer and that you found the services provided by our dedicated ambassadors to be top notch. It is also wonderful to see that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool and that you found our Rivals restaurant to fit your needs perfectly. We hope to see you again soon for another amazing stay.
new joisy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my 2nd visit for a business convention. The convention facilities were excellent: spacious & modern ballroom for the general presentation, comfortable break out rooms, palatable catering. The amenities turned the business into a pleasure: beautiful ocean beach, 2 salt water pools, tennis, golf, & a large assortment of great local restaurants & clubs. Miami Beach & South Beach are a short drive away.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are more expensive but the view of the intra-coastal waterway is also very pleasant
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear mmarco18,
It is wonderful to hear that you had another excellent convention retreat with us at the diplomat. It is fantastic to hear that you found our convention facilities to be excellent and that you enjoyed relaxing by our pools. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!