“Great views and service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Minneapolis
“Great views and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were fortunate enough to have an ocean view which was breathtaking. Service was great and the food was good. I was surprised that you had to pay for chairs and umbrellas at the beach. They aren't cheap, but worth it as the pool is very shady. Jetskiing is reasonabIe and offered onsite at the beach...$80 for a 1/2 hour or $85 for 2 people. I would consider the hotel itself a little on the expensive side, as 2 drinks and a sandwich (1) were $50. Automatic tip was included on everything, no matter the size of the party. The off site spa was hit or miss. I heard that our colleagues has the greatest spa service and also the worst. Mine was good. Not mind blowing, but good for a facial. Things are close if you need liquor store or a Walmart and the hotel mini shop has sunscreen and various items. They have a great Starbucks/deli with chips, wine and croissants that are wonderful. Skip breakfast and eat there. Overall, it was very nice. Extremely clean, pleasant, good location and a LITTLE pricey for a higher starred hotel. Taxis are plentiful however, make sure you know where you are going as they might take the long way and your fare will be double. South Beach will run you about $60 - 80.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Mercedes88,

We are happy to learn that you had a wonderful stay. It is great to see that you enjoyed the ocean view, our spa, and the food options we offer. Also it is nice to see you took advantage of the local area and that you had fun on the beach. We hope to welcome you back to the resort soon.

Karianne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed at the Diplomat from 02/16 to 02/22.
Room was very clean and comfortable w/ a fabulous view. Especially loved the desk accents!
Due to its location and that we did not have a car with us, there were very few options in terms of food or beverage. I felt that the Westin took full advantage of this situation, charging sometimes ridiculously high amounts for staple items.
We enjoyed the Café for most lunches – thank you for including the gratuities to the bill! Excellent service and nutritious options, however, the ethnic inequalities in terms of employment opportunities are blatantly obvious. This is rather disconcerting from such a reputable company.
Wish the fitness center was open 24 hours. This was very disappointing, especially when I called the operator at 9:00PM inquiring where the gym was. We would have appreciated if she had also included the center hours. We otherwise experienced excellent service from everyone, including the individuals constantly holding the front doors open.
On our last day, 02/22 between 2-2:30PM, please review the surveillance camera overlooking the revolving door out to the pool. You will likely see my 65 year old mother taking a header due to slippery wet floors. No one, visitors or hotel employees, came to her aide. Please rectify this situation. Sincere caution to anyone else taking this route in/out of the pool area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Rebecca B,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your recent stay at our resort. We are excited to hear that your room was clean and comfortable and that you had an amazing view. We would also like to apologize that you found our resort to have very few dining options available to our guests and that some of their pricing was high.

We are glad to see that you were able to enjoy the excellent service and many nutritious options that our Café has to offer our guests. Please know that we recognize and appreciate the diversity of people, ideas and cultures, and believe that diverse experience and people are required for our business to succeed. We support a culture of inclusion where associates at every level, including the full range of backgrounds, cultures and orientations can reach their maximum potential.

Our fitness center is temporarily located across the street and running does close at 9:00pm, however, we are all looking forward to our new state of the art, 24 hour, Westin Workout opening this Spring.

We are also truly sorry to hear your mother had slipped and fell on a wet floor. We hope she is doing well at this time. We would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Have a great day,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My Family and I stayed at the Diplomat from February 15 - 19th, 2013. The entire facility was freezing. Couldn't check-in till after 4:00 p.m. Staff couldn't locate parcels which were left for us. Charged for goods and services we never purchased or experienced. I specifically asked front desk personnel to have the manager call me and I'm still waiting (it's Feb. 23rd). The one thing I can honestly say worked perfectly was that the staff accepting tips I should never have offered. BTW, "Splash" the poolside/beachside restaurant and bar was absolutely filthy the entire time we were on the property, even the birds wouldn't eat the rubbish, food scraps on the ground. This management team seems to rely on it's excellent location and doesn't feel the need to deliver.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear xdghs,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not the relaxing and renewing experience we wish to provide each and every one of our guests. We apologize about the inconvenience you experienced with your parcels as well as your experience at our restaurant splash. I would like to sincerely apologize that no one from our management staff has reached out to you yet. Please feel free to contact me at Karianne.arsenault@westin.com regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you soon and we hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Even though I spent 10 years living in SoFlo I never experienced the Diplomat. Service was excellent, rooms were great and the staff was everything you would expect from a high end resort. I played the golf club and they too were excellent and the course was in reasonable shape although I expected more for the money.

Dear Gunshycanuck,

We are thrilled to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us. It is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your room as well as our golf course. We are also delighted to see that our ambassadors helped to make your stay even more memorable. We hope to see you at the Westin again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Staying at this resort with my two small children and my husband is here on a conference. My first impression of this hotel was amazing. We were able to check in at 11am and we stayed in a suite (no balcony) over looking the ocean. The location is good since you are on the beach.
Here are some pros and cons that I have noticed ...so far.
Cons: dinner options are a very nice and expensive steak house which was excellent or a sports bar that had poor service. It takes about 30 mins to walk to the downtown/boardwalk to other restarants. We did not have a car. If you drove it would take 5 mins. All food options at the hotel are expensive but large portions and very good drinks. Lunch for 2 and 2 drinks is about 50 dollars but we could not finish the meal.

Pros: the food is very good! The views and facilities are very nice and worth the price. The service the we have received in the last 24 hours has been the best we have ever had. We travel a lot and this hotel is very classy.

Tips: if you like a little walk the Walmart is 15 mins away. You can walk and it is very safe. You can buy water and snacks there. If you want to eat outside the resort you can go into the downtown easily.
They add a tip onto most bills at the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear CHTHONS,

It is great to see that you had a relaxing stay with us at the Westin Diplomat. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the services provided by our dedicated ambassadors. We are sorry to hear that you found some of our food and beverage options to be expensive. We will share your feedback with our food & beverage director. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Attended business meeting at hotel. Not a large meeting for the size of the hotel but numerous attendees had to wait until after 6 PM for rooms. While I was checking in, front desk staff were asking each other whether they could contact housekeeping (trying to ascertain which rooms were clean). Meeting food ranged from an excellent opening night meal to mediocre lunches and dinners with multiple attendees leaving uneaten food on their plates due to lack of flavor or over cooking. Facility is great but they are overpriced for their marketed service level.

• Stayed February 2013
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear WARSAWRUN,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are sorry to hear about your check in experience as well as some of the food options during your event. Your feedback will be shared with our front office as well as our banquets team so we can continue to evolve and grow. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back to the Diplomat.

Chicago suburb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a very large facility. If you like that...then they do that model well. I was here on business or I would not have selected such a massive property for my own vacation time. I prefer much smaller more boutique type hotels. That being said...the employees work very hard here at making the customers happy. I was offsite....an hours walk away.....thought I lost my wallet.....called security and they sent a driver for me in my panic. Wallet was in my room. Security understood my situation and re-acted promptly. Icemaker not working on my floor....made a call and it was promptly rectified. Many people working vallet....all excellent and efficient. Housekeeping very punctual and efficient.There are 2-36 floor towers in this hotel....each with a bank of 6 elevators. I know this might be a bit of a weird accolade.....but in my 6 days there I never waited more than 30 seconds for a car. An amazing thing for people who understand high rise elevator usage. They have this working nicely. The spa area is off-site about 10 minutes away.....but a very lovely facility tied together with their golf course. Some areas of improvement. No drink service on the beach? Some of the beach equipment...frames for lounging etc....a little banged up....showing their age. Throughout the resorts exterior....rust is popping thru everywhere. I realize what salt water breezes do.....but maintenance is critical. Nowhere in the INTERIOR of the hotel to get a cocktail till 4pm.....must go all the way to the pool/beach bar. Overall the experience was pleasant....just not my style.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Managers at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Gariupamg,

We are excited to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It is great to see that your business retreat went well and that our security team took excellent care of you during your time of need. Thank you for you feedback on where we can use some improvement. We will certainly use the information you provided us to help ensure we can provide the best service for our guests. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Westin.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!