“Management unresponsive, facility filthy, poorly led etc...” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
“Management unresponsive, facility filthy, poorly led etc...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My Family and I stayed at the Diplomat from February 15 - 19th, 2013. The entire facility was freezing. Couldn't check-in till after 4:00 p.m. Staff couldn't locate parcels which were left for us. Charged for goods and services we never purchased or experienced. I specifically asked front desk personnel to have the manager call me and I'm still waiting (it's Feb. 23rd). The one thing I can honestly say worked perfectly was that the staff accepting tips I should never have offered. BTW, "Splash" the poolside/beachside restaurant and bar was absolutely filthy the entire time we were on the property, even the birds wouldn't eat the rubbish, food scraps on the ground. This management team seems to rely on it's excellent location and doesn't feel the need to deliver.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear xdghs,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not the relaxing and renewing experience we wish to provide each and every one of our guests. We apologize about the inconvenience you experienced with your parcels as well as your experience at our restaurant splash. I would like to sincerely apologize that no one from our management staff has reached out to you yet. Please feel free to contact me at Karianne.arsenault@westin.com regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you soon and we hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

2,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Even though I spent 10 years living in SoFlo I never experienced the Diplomat. Service was excellent, rooms were great and the staff was everything you would expect from a high end resort. I played the golf club and they too were excellent and the course was in reasonable shape although I expected more for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gunshycanuck,

We are thrilled to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us. It is fantastic to learn that you enjoyed your room as well as our golf course. We are also delighted to see that our ambassadors helped to make your stay even more memorable. We hope to see you at the Westin again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Staying at this resort with my two small children and my husband is here on a conference. My first impression of this hotel was amazing. We were able to check in at 11am and we stayed in a suite (no balcony) over looking the ocean. The location is good since you are on the beach.
Here are some pros and cons that I have noticed ...so far.
Cons: dinner options are a very nice and expensive steak house which was excellent or a sports bar that had poor service. It takes about 30 mins to walk to the downtown/boardwalk to other restarants. We did not have a car. If you drove it would take 5 mins. All food options at the hotel are expensive but large portions and very good drinks. Lunch for 2 and 2 drinks is about 50 dollars but we could not finish the meal.

Pros: the food is very good! The views and facilities are very nice and worth the price. The service the we have received in the last 24 hours has been the best we have ever had. We travel a lot and this hotel is very classy.

Tips: if you like a little walk the Walmart is 15 mins away. You can walk and it is very safe. You can buy water and snacks there. If you want to eat outside the resort you can go into the downtown easily.
They add a tip onto most bills at the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear CHTHONS,

It is great to see that you had a relaxing stay with us at the Westin Diplomat. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and the services provided by our dedicated ambassadors. We are sorry to hear that you found some of our food and beverage options to be expensive. We will share your feedback with our food & beverage director. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Attended business meeting at hotel. Not a large meeting for the size of the hotel but numerous attendees had to wait until after 6 PM for rooms. While I was checking in, front desk staff were asking each other whether they could contact housekeeping (trying to ascertain which rooms were clean). Meeting food ranged from an excellent opening night meal to mediocre lunches and dinners with multiple attendees leaving uneaten food on their plates due to lack of flavor or over cooking. Facility is great but they are overpriced for their marketed service level.

• Stayed February 2013
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear WARSAWRUN,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback with us. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies regarding the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are sorry to hear about your check in experience as well as some of the food options during your event. Your feedback will be shared with our front office as well as our banquets team so we can continue to evolve and grow. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back to the Diplomat.

Chicago suburb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a very large facility. If you like that...then they do that model well. I was here on business or I would not have selected such a massive property for my own vacation time. I prefer much smaller more boutique type hotels. That being said...the employees work very hard here at making the customers happy. I was offsite....an hours walk away.....thought I lost my wallet.....called security and they sent a driver for me in my panic. Wallet was in my room. Security understood my situation and re-acted promptly. Icemaker not working on my floor....made a call and it was promptly rectified. Many people working vallet....all excellent and efficient. Housekeeping very punctual and efficient.There are 2-36 floor towers in this hotel....each with a bank of 6 elevators. I know this might be a bit of a weird accolade.....but in my 6 days there I never waited more than 30 seconds for a car. An amazing thing for people who understand high rise elevator usage. They have this working nicely. The spa area is off-site about 10 minutes away.....but a very lovely facility tied together with their golf course. Some areas of improvement. No drink service on the beach? Some of the beach equipment...frames for lounging etc....a little banged up....showing their age. Throughout the resorts exterior....rust is popping thru everywhere. I realize what salt water breezes do.....but maintenance is critical. Nowhere in the INTERIOR of the hotel to get a cocktail till 4pm.....must go all the way to the pool/beach bar. Overall the experience was pleasant....just not my style.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Managers at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Gariupamg,

We are excited to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It is great to see that your business retreat went well and that our security team took excellent care of you during your time of need. Thank you for you feedback on where we can use some improvement. We will certainly use the information you provided us to help ensure we can provide the best service for our guests. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Westin.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have stayed at this resort several times in the last 4 years and the quality is exactly the same. It is very well located, very quite area, close to restaurants and malls (Adventura Mall).
The only comment will be the closing time of the Fitness center, which is not open 24 hours.
The restaurant and the food is first quality, with good choices. If you wat a change just walk across the avenue where you will find a couple of good ones. Excellent for kids.
The beach is very nice, so is the pool. The lobby is marvelous! lots of places to seat and chat.
The rooms are clean, and very nice, specially if you get the ocean view ones.
the Valet service is an asset, but if you like they have a parking building across the street.
Wifi is not free.
Will continue to go back year after year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear OsValdo S,

It was a real treat to once again welcome you back to the Diplomat. Thank you for making us your home away from home. It is great to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and that you were able to take advantage of the amenities we offer here at the resort. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Generally this was a very nice if not dated hotel. The pool area and location on the beach is very nice and they have a nice cafe where you can buy wine, coffee, food, etc.
Normally the rooms are $450 over presidents day weekend which is CRAZY but i had a discount for a wedding. I paid $350/night and had no hot water or toiletries- it took me over 30 minutes to check in with just a few people in line at noon. They explained to me there were too many people in the hotel so they ran out of hot water. The hot tub was full of 6 and 7 year olds even though there was a HUGE sign that said "no kids under 16 are allowed in hot tub by florida state law" yet everyone ignored the sign, even the security guards who walked past constantly. For $350/night I would expect hot water at the very least. When I called to get a discount they offered me 5000 spg points- the hotel costs 12,000/night.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony. Otherwise you might as well be staying in a courtyard marriot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear SmithGNYC

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to apologize that your experience did not exceed your expectations. We are sorry about the inconveniences you had experienced with the lack of hot water and toiletries. We will share your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering ambassadors. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!