“They try very hard....too large for me.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Chicago suburb
“They try very hard....too large for me.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a very large facility. If you like that...then they do that model well. I was here on business or I would not have selected such a massive property for my own vacation time. I prefer much smaller more boutique type hotels. That being said...the employees work very hard here at making the customers happy. I was offsite....an hours walk away.....thought I lost my wallet.....called security and they sent a driver for me in my panic. Wallet was in my room. Security understood my situation and re-acted promptly. Icemaker not working on my floor....made a call and it was promptly rectified. Many people working vallet....all excellent and efficient. Housekeeping very punctual and efficient.There are 2-36 floor towers in this hotel....each with a bank of 6 elevators. I know this might be a bit of a weird accolade.....but in my 6 days there I never waited more than 30 seconds for a car. An amazing thing for people who understand high rise elevator usage. They have this working nicely. The spa area is off-site about 10 minutes away.....but a very lovely facility tied together with their golf course. Some areas of improvement. No drink service on the beach? Some of the beach equipment...frames for lounging etc....a little banged up....showing their age. Throughout the resorts exterior....rust is popping thru everywhere. I realize what salt water breezes do.....but maintenance is critical. Nowhere in the INTERIOR of the hotel to get a cocktail till 4pm.....must go all the way to the pool/beach bar. Overall the experience was pleasant....just not my style.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Managers at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Gariupamg,

We are excited to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It is great to see that your business retreat went well and that our security team took excellent care of you during your time of need. Thank you for you feedback on where we can use some improvement. We will certainly use the information you provided us to help ensure we can provide the best service for our guests. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Westin.

2,122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have stayed at this resort several times in the last 4 years and the quality is exactly the same. It is very well located, very quite area, close to restaurants and malls (Adventura Mall).
The only comment will be the closing time of the Fitness center, which is not open 24 hours.
The restaurant and the food is first quality, with good choices. If you wat a change just walk across the avenue where you will find a couple of good ones. Excellent for kids.
The beach is very nice, so is the pool. The lobby is marvelous! lots of places to seat and chat.
The rooms are clean, and very nice, specially if you get the ocean view ones.
the Valet service is an asset, but if you like they have a parking building across the street.
Wifi is not free.
Will continue to go back year after year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear OsValdo S,

It was a real treat to once again welcome you back to the Diplomat. Thank you for making us your home away from home. It is great to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and that you were able to take advantage of the amenities we offer here at the resort. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Generally this was a very nice if not dated hotel. The pool area and location on the beach is very nice and they have a nice cafe where you can buy wine, coffee, food, etc.
Normally the rooms are $450 over presidents day weekend which is CRAZY but i had a discount for a wedding. I paid $350/night and had no hot water or toiletries- it took me over 30 minutes to check in with just a few people in line at noon. They explained to me there were too many people in the hotel so they ran out of hot water. The hot tub was full of 6 and 7 year olds even though there was a HUGE sign that said "no kids under 16 are allowed in hot tub by florida state law" yet everyone ignored the sign, even the security guards who walked past constantly. For $350/night I would expect hot water at the very least. When I called to get a discount they offered me 5000 spg points- the hotel costs 12,000/night.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony. Otherwise you might as well be staying in a courtyard marriot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear SmithGNYC

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would like to apologize that your experience did not exceed your expectations. We are sorry about the inconveniences you had experienced with the lack of hot water and toiletries. We will share your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering ambassadors. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business, staff is very helpful, room was large clean great view of the ocean and pool unfortunately weather was poor and I wasn't able to use either. Grounds have places to eat that were very good, splash pool side restaurant, rivals sports bar a nicand hails them for you. e cafe and a bar where the guests would go before and after dinner. I didn't try the steak house. Cabs are lined up in front of hotel and the staff keeps them orderly and hails them for you. You get what you pay for and if you have deep pockets you'll want to stay here. $399 plus tax per night and restaurants and bars are expensive

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Patioo,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to see you found our ambassadors to be helpful and that you enjoyed several of our food & beverage options here at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I was here for business but even though i wasnt paying for the room, it still wasn't worth the price. They charged extra for everything and my toilet didn't even work. They came and fixed it but didn't bother to apologize or anything. I actually think I was also double-charged for valet parking and when I questioned it was simply told that their must have been a good reason for the additional cost. Oh brother!

Worse yet, anytime I wanted to call the operator, I either didn't get anyone, was put on hold and then hung up on or would have to wait to have my call taken. Now that's brutal.

Not impressed and I travel a lot for work. I suspect the management of this hotel has recently been changed baca use their were too many gaps in their service. I paid over $400 for one night. Just not worth it!

• Stayed February 2013
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Stinkyrules,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations and we would like to apologize about the inconveniences you described to us. Your experience is one we would not want to see occur again and we will use your feedback to help us improve our services here at the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was here for a conference. They have good conference facilities and a nice pool and beach area. The lobby is quite nice and large with places to relax and eat. You can also walk over to a marina. I was quite let down by the concierge. I asked where could I rent a motorcycle and she was not sure and didn't make any effort to find or arrange it for me. I was quite dissapointed with I would try a Harley dealership in Miami. I have stayed at many Westins and expected more.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the water for sure.
Dear MMBarnes,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Diplomat. It is great to see that you enjoyed our pool oasis and that you found the lobby to be a great place to unwind. We apologize about your experience with one of our concierge ambassadors. We will share your feedback with them so we can assure we are providing the best service possible to our guests. We hope to welcome you back to the Westin soon.

Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently attended a conference at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood, FL. The hotel lobby was upscale and the pool area and beaches were nice. The rooms were slightly above average with doors that open from the bathroom tub area to the bedroom and they have very nice bedding, but the shower in our room actually had black mold growing in the upper right corner, likely due to no vent in the shower. The quality of the rooms for the price ($320/night) was less than I would have expected.

The amenities were very nice, but you paid a high price for them. The average price for a burger/sandwich at the outdoor/pool restaurant is $17.00. We didn't dare try to restaurant after we saw that the basic egg/toast breakfast was over $20.00. Plus, they automatically add 18% gratuity at the restaurants and even the beach chairs cost $10/day + 18% gratuity. The servers do not tell you this and on our first lunch we almost tipped the server an additional $24 when the $18 tip was already inlcuded.

I stayed an additional two days for pleasure, but did not eat on the property due to the extremely high prices. We actually walked and cabbed to the Broadwalk at Hollywood Beach approximately 1.5 miles away where there are outdoor cafes with wonderful food at reasonable prices.

Also at the Westin Diplomat, I was dissapointed that during my stay the upper deck pool overlooking the beach was reserved the entire day for another conference at the hotel so none of the other guests were allowed to use the pool.

Overall, the hotel was nice, but very expensive.

Dear BeachGirlKS,

It is fantastic to see that your overall stay at the Diplomat was enjoyable. It is nice to see that you enjoyed the pool area as well as some of the amenities we offer here at the resort. We are sorry to hear that you found our food & beverage options to be pricey and about your experience with the shower in your room. We will certainly share your comments with the appropriate departments so we can continue to evolve and grow. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!