“Nice lobby and good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #10 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Grand Rapids
“Nice lobby and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was here for a conference. They have good conference facilities and a nice pool and beach area. The lobby is quite nice and large with places to relax and eat. You can also walk over to a marina. I was quite let down by the concierge. I asked where could I rent a motorcycle and she was not sure and didn't make any effort to find or arrange it for me. I was quite dissapointed with I would try a Harley dealership in Miami. I have stayed at many Westins and expected more.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the water for sure.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MMBarnes,

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Diplomat. It is great to see that you enjoyed our pool oasis and that you found the lobby to be a great place to unwind. We apologize about your experience with one of our concierge ambassadors. We will share your feedback with them so we can assure we are providing the best service possible to our guests. We hope to welcome you back to the Westin soon.

2,366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Olathe, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I recently attended a conference at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood, FL. The hotel lobby was upscale and the pool area and beaches were nice. The rooms were slightly above average with doors that open from the bathroom tub area to the bedroom and they have very nice bedding, but the shower in our room actually had black mold growing in the upper right corner, likely due to no vent in the shower. The quality of the rooms for the price ($320/night) was less than I would have expected.

The amenities were very nice, but you paid a high price for them. The average price for a burger/sandwich at the outdoor/pool restaurant is $17.00. We didn't dare try to restaurant after we saw that the basic egg/toast breakfast was over $20.00. Plus, they automatically add 18% gratuity at the restaurants and even the beach chairs cost $10/day + 18% gratuity. The servers do not tell you this and on our first lunch we almost tipped the server an additional $24 when the $18 tip was already inlcuded.

I stayed an additional two days for pleasure, but did not eat on the property due to the extremely high prices. We actually walked and cabbed to the Broadwalk at Hollywood Beach approximately 1.5 miles away where there are outdoor cafes with wonderful food at reasonable prices.

Also at the Westin Diplomat, I was dissapointed that during my stay the upper deck pool overlooking the beach was reserved the entire day for another conference at the hotel so none of the other guests were allowed to use the pool.

Overall, the hotel was nice, but very expensive.

Dear BeachGirlKS,

It is fantastic to see that your overall stay at the Diplomat was enjoyable. It is nice to see that you enjoyed the pool area as well as some of the amenities we offer here at the resort. We are sorry to hear that you found our food & beverage options to be pricey and about your experience with the shower in your room. We will certainly share your comments with the appropriate departments so we can continue to evolve and grow. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and was really impressed with the hotel. The room was very nice. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful. I even found the food served at the conference to be very good which is unusual. Very nice pools though I did not get to use them and the views from some of the conference rooms were really nice. I would have given 5 stars if not for the following two reasons:

1. The conference I was attending had 1300 attendees and we were on our own for dinner. The Hollywood steakhouse was closed the first night of the conference which I thought was a big mistake. There were 1300 people with expense accounts looking for a place to spend money! We had to go elsewhere

2. I had never been to Hollywood before and really did not like the area. Was actually shocked to find such a nice hotel considering the surroundings.

In conclusion, I thought the hotel was superb, but am not sure I would go again if I wasn't going for a conference, though I wouldn't mind extending a conference visit a couple of days.

Dear Jim K,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your conference and stay at our resort. We apologize about the inconvenience of our Hollywood Prime steakhouse being closed. We will share your feedback with our food & beverage director. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a meeting. This is the worst Westin hotel I have stayed in. When I checked into my room, I found towels still on the bathroom floor. I called the Express Service line and asked them to clean the room. They argued with me saying that they would pick up the towels but the room was cleaned so it did not need cleaning again. When I returned several hours later, the towels were still on the floor. I asked them to give me a new room so I can have a break between meetings - they said it was not possible. They sent housekeeping; while she was cleaning she got a call from her manager and proceeded to have a conversation in front of me about another room that needed cleaning. The next day, I had to call housekeeping again since no one came to make up the room when I returned in late afternoon.

Besides housekeeping, the other staff in the hotel, including the cafe/ mini market seems very distracted and not friendly.

I am a SPG gold card holder; this is the worst managed Westin I have stayed in. The location on the beach has lots of potential. I hope they will try to improve the management.

Room Tip: ocean side
Dear Black Lab Nickie,

It saddens us to hear that your stay at our resort was not the top quality experience you have come to expect from the Westin. We apologize about your experience with our housekeeping team as well as some of our ambassadors. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home while on vacation and we apologize that this was not your experience. We will embrace your feedback as an opportunity to help us improve our services at the resort. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Guest Services Manager
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a meeting on site. The hotel is nicely situated in terms of the beach. The rooms are well appointed and most seem to have a good view. It is not a bad choice for a meeting or other destination event such as a wedding. However the hotel is quite far from other attractions in the area and there are no restaurants in walking distance outside of the hotel property-meaning that you are stuck with the high-price hotel restaurants. This is particularly a problem for dinner, since the relatively moderate (by hotel standards) grill and poolside restaurants do not serve dinner. This problem was compounded by the fact that, on the night we were there, there was an event which closed the sports bar Rivals, leaving guests who were not part of the group stuck with either a stuffy and very expensive steak house or a take out.coffee shop run by somewhat indifferent staff (Where's Starbucks when you need it?). The problem was compounded by the absence of a concierge in the evening and a single over-worked and unsympathetic desk clerk who did not have any suggestions for alternatives.
The meeting rooms were OK and the catering for the meeting I was attending went well. However, the quality of the internet in the meeting rooms was poor. There is also a substantial charge for internet in the hotel guest rooms.
Overall, I would suggest that families and individuals on vacation check out other alternatives.

Room Tip: The views on the Bay side were nice but there was some traffic noise, so I would request a room on t...
Dear DR._Bob_4,

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your stay at our hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed the beach as well as your room here at the resort. We are sorry to hear that you found our food & beverage options to be limited and some of our services to be lacking here at the resort. We will certainly look into these matters so we can provide each guest with a top quality customer service. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had a meeting at the hotel last Thursday with the catering department for my wedding, I absolutely fell in love with the hotel. I returned Saturday with my fiancé to show him the venue for our wedding, we valet parked. After about an 30mins we returned to pick up our viehical, it took almost 20mins to get our vicheical to arrive we left and stopped at a near by store when turning off the ignition my fiancé realized the car key was broken. I was so shocked and upset that this could happen and no one told us. We returned to the hotel and spoke to the guy over valet, he filled out an incident report and told me someone will be contacting me soon. I loved this hotel but this was a major turn off, I'm still speechless that it happened and no one said a word.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Kysha A,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your recent visit to the Westin. We are excited to hear that you are considering the Westin Diplomat as a location for your special occasion. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the property and would like to congratulate on your upcoming wedding.
We are sorry to hear about the experience you had while valeting your vehicle. We do take these matters very seriously and would like to extend our sincerest apologies for this incident.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and we hope to see you again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Hotel overpriced,staff at front desk rude,especially Gabrielle,if it wasn't for the ocean,they would have nothing.If you want a spa treatment...PRAY! Ancillary staff wonderful!Caters to the"rich and snooty". They won't even bring their beach towels off the beach.Again don't do it.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear LUCKY ME 2013,

We apologize that your recent stay with us was not the top quality experience you have come to expect from a Westin. I am sorry to hear about your experience while checking into the resort. Our goal is to make everyone feel at home during this time and we are sorry this was not your experience. We will use this as an opportunity for growth so we can provide each of our guests with a fantastic experience. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!