“Staff Makes the Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Hollywood
Fredericksburg, Texas
“Staff Makes the Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family of 4 booked the Westin Diplomat 4 months ago for the BCS Championship. At the time we did not even think about asking if the hotel was intending to host one of the college teams. When we arrived, we were surprised to see Notre Dame banners flying! We entered finding out that the Westin was indeed the host hotel to Notre Dame....our daughter attends The University of Alabama!! So, needless to say, it was quite an interesting 5 days.
The hotel is beautiful, spotless and a great location. The cleaning staff was always able to accommodate our requested service times. The guys on the beach, especially Adrian and Johann (sp?), were so very kind and helpful- such class and professionalism. The Splash staff was friendly and fast!
Although "we" were not part of the group they were hosting, the staff certainly helped make our stay a bit more comfortable and we appreciate that! ROLL TIDE!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Karianne A, Guest Services Manager at Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear paigec,

It is exciting to learn that you and your family enjoyed your time with us during the BCS Championship game. We are happy to see that you found our facilities to be top notch and that our ambassadors helped to make your stay refreshing and renewing. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

2,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My mom and I spent 5 nights here for a quick little gals' trip. We used cash + points, so we knew we wouldn't have an overly impressive room. Still, the room was large and comfortable.

We planned on lounging by the pool/on the beach for the week, and that is what we did. Neither of us appreciated that the only way to get an umbrella at the pool was by renting a cabana for the day (over $200 I believe). I am fine spending money for some shade, but hello skin cancer! Would it kill the resort to have some umbrellas available for those of us who don't want our faces to look like old handbags by the time we turn 40? Instead, we spent our days at the beach. There we rented two chairs and two umbrellas. The beach chair rentals are not run by the resort, and the guys who work there (Lee and Adrian) are great. They are helpful and help rearrange the chairs when the sun moves, etc. Unfortunately, the restaurant servers who DO work for the Westin aren't quite as responsive. Some days people work the beach, and other days you must stalk someone at the restaurant to order lunch. It isn't the biggest deal, but it isn't the service I expect from a 'resort'.

Given that we just went down for a quick trip rather than a real vacation, the things that were lacking here didn't bother us too much. Were this my main vacation for the year I would have probably reacted differently!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear NoraNJtoLondon,

We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience with us. It is wonderful to see that your overall retreat with us was a relaxing one. We are sorry that we fell below your expectations in regards to service on the pool deck. We do take all reviews very serisously and will be sharing your information with our management so we can be sure to resolve the issues you had shared with us. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I came with my family a few times in the past year, but this time the experience at the westin diplomat was extremely difficult.
1-rooms were not clean
2-the saff at front desk was not helpful and made us feel very frustated
After taking a late flight, we arrived at the hotel at 2AM with my family and my parents. My father was extremely tired and being hospitalized a few months during the past year, he needed a good vacation. Unfortunatly, we stayed until 5Am trying to get rooms that we had booked but the manager did not want to help us at all even if he saw that my father was completely exausted.
we spent everyday at reception trying to get the rooms that we expected. the communication between the staff at the font desk is very bad. They promess something and when you come back you don't get what they promessed. we stayed 2 weeks and we had problems everyday until the last 4days. the worst problem in this hotel is the service at the front desk that is completely inacceptable. we have never experienced anything like this in any other hotel around the world.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Victoria e,

It saddens us to learn that your recent experience at our resort was not the top quality experience you have come to know from the Westin Diplomat. We apologize about any inconvenience you experienced throughout your stay. One of our goals is to provide our guests with a relaxing and renewing vacation and we are sorry that this was not your experience. We will take your feedback and use it to help us improve our guests experience at the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Boston ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had a great experienced with this hotel during my stated end of August. General speaking, the front desk update my SPG account and automatically put us on the SPG floor. This hotel is clean and updated, yet very well organised and informative to the guests during the hurricane time. Staffs were very helpful with no attitudes only smiles on their faces. What we liked the most is the hotel sense is always fresh, you can always smell it once you walk-in.

Room Tip: High-floor with ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear eccookie,

We are happy to learn that you had a perfect stay with us. It pleases us to learn that you enjoyed your upgrade to the SPG floor and that our Westin white tea scent helped you to feel relaxed and renewed. We hope to see you at the Westin again soon.

Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Westin the night before our Christmas Bahamas cruise. It is a very large hotel/resort. The pools were very nice and the beachfront was kept spotless. There is an abundance of lounge chairs (though saving by one person for a group is allowed). The rooms were very clean and well appointed. They had a grab and go coffee shop within the hotel where you could also get pastries etc. which was nice to have. The only downside is that the restaurants in the hotel were quite expensive and there are no others within walking distance, and it was tough to get concierge assistance due to the large volume of people. Overall it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear ONTfoodie,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful to learn that you enjoyed your pre-cruise stay. We are excited to learn that you enjoyed relaxing by the pool as well as the beach. We are also happy to hear that you found Ingredients to be a great feature of the resort. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Warmest regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Diplomat for one night using SPG points and cash -- an amazing price of only 4800 points + 90 dollars. I stayed during the peak Xmas week so a regular room was listed at over $250 night.

The front desk check in would have been insane but for the fact that I am SPG Gold. They have a dedicated line for SPG Gold/Platinum holders which made check in way faster. The check in staff were very friendly and explained all of the amenities of the hotel -- and provided me with a bracelet that needed to be worn in the pool and gym areas.

As others have noted, self parking is available across the street for $20 a day. Kind of expensive but there really is no free parking available in the area. Note that there are two garage buildings... the one you enter requires you to drive to the top floor and then drive over a connecting bridge to the other garage which will then let you drive down to the exit. So, if you want to get out of the garage easily, the best option is to drive right through the entire garage as if you were going to exit and park near the last level of the exit. This will allow you to exit the garage rather easily.

I took a look at the gym (I am a gym rat so my requirements are very discerning) and it actually was not a bad gym -- for a hotel. The free weights did not go to high enough weights (but they rarely do at a hotel gym) but they had all the machines you'd need, a smith machine, and plenty of cardio equipment. There is a Crunch gym (recently under new management) at 163rd and Collins for those who are more hard core gym goers.

The room itself -- I had an "issue" with my first room. The front desk staff was very helpful in moving me to a new/upgraded room with a full ocean view room with a balcony. My original room had a partial view without a balcony. I would highly recommend spending the extra $$ (if you can) to get the full ocean view with a balcony. The view is spectacular and having a balcony to read on is amazing.

The room is very comfortable ... free starbucks coffee and a bottle of water too. The bathroom had a great stand alone shower (my favorite because it avoids the need for that nasty shower curtain) and a separate jacuzzi tub. The bathroom had massive shutters that opened to overlook the bedroom and/or the ocean.

As my 'SPG Gold' amenity, I chose free Wifi which worked very well during my stay.

Over all, this definitely a great hotel. Well worth the SPG Points + Cash I paid. Also, as a frequent traveller, no hotel is perfect -- the secret to their success has to be how they handle things when something goes wrong. At the Diplomat, they are clearly focused on guest satisfaction -- exactly what I would expect from a Westin hotel. The "issue" I had with the hotel was handled immediately and professionally -- exactly how I would expect a 5* hotel to deal with a guest complaint.

Room Tip: Get a high floor, ocean facing room, with a balcony.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Hotel_Sam,

It is fantastic to receive feedback from one of our loyal SPG Gold Members. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your continued loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We are pleased to learn that you had an amazing stay and that our ambassadors were able to assist in making your stay even more memorable. We cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.

Best wishes,

Londrina, PR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Staying for 10 days - terrible New Years Eve dinner.

Check-in time around 9:00 pm, dec/29.
Reserved a Grand Deluxe, received a room for handicaped, wich I only realized 3 days later, by seeing the big difference to other rooms. The room needed to be refurbished.

I complaint about the bad room I was on the jan/1st , the same guy that made my check-in, told me the hotel was full and I should check for a new room on the next day. He did'nt even apologized. Just told me there was a football team at the hotel and could not help.

Got my new room on the january/2nd. Better but not great. Just average, a bit small.

Until now I made 3 room service orders:
1º) Hamburguer: good
2º) Cesar Salad: bad sauce, artificial. Penne pasta grotesque and reazonable. Good caprese salad.
3º) Ordered service for two, came for one. Ordered a medium strip steak, came very welldone, and baked potato came raw. Reazonable caprese salad.

Bathroom amenities are weak. Just a shampoo, conditioner and lotion.
Towels are very good.
The bed is great, as always on Westin.

Wi-fi: signal quality was bad on both rooms.

Room make up service is weak. There is lots of dust on the furniture, and amenities are not provided daily as they should.

New years eve dinner at at the Landings: fix price of 275 per person+beverages+tax+tips.
We were in a party of 5 for the 9:30pm. The buffet was very very weak. Waiter service was terrible.

Room Tip: Unless you get a corner room or a suite, most rooms are quite small.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Fernando J

We appreciate you taking a moment to tell us about your recent experience at the Diplomat. We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your retreat. What you have described to us is not the experience we strive to provide our guests and for that we are truly sorry. We will use your comments to help us improve our services here throughout the resort. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Karianne

Been to Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!